Tie rod adjustment

CalSgt

I’m going to install a Synergy tie rod this weekend...

If I take a good measurement between the ears on the steering knuckles before removing the factory tie rod and match it with the new tie rod would that be enough to keep the alignment in spec?

Or is there another better way to keep the alignment from getting out of wack?

JTCO

Meme King
I’m going to install a Synergy tie rod this weekend...

If I take a good measurement between the ears on the steering knuckles before removing the factory tie rod and match it with the new tie rod would that be enough to keep the alignment in spec?

Or is there another better way to keep the alignment from getting out of wack?

Keep the tires on the ground. The weight of the vehicle will hold the holes in place. Then just adjust the tie rod length until it fits in the holes that are already there. Measure toe afterwards to be safe but that should get you close.

EDIT: This is assuming on a JL that you have enough clearance to get to the nuts with the wheels still on.

CalSgt

Keep the tires on the ground. The weight of the vehicle will hold the holes in place. Then just adjust the tie rod length until it fits in the holes that are already there. Measure toe afterwards to be safe but that should get you close.

EDIT: This is assuming on a JL that you have enough clearance to get to the nuts with the wheels still on.

Looks pretty tight...

09F6860A-B9D6-4DF9-A92E-0C79FF7EB40D.jpg

CalSgt

I ended up doing it the hard way...

The Synergy instructions say to set toe in 1/16" to 1/8" measuring at the front and back of the tires. They also say to line a split in the adjuster nut up with the split in the tie rod. There was no way I could get that to work, at one split in the adjuster nut it was toe out 1/16" and at the other split it was toe in 3/4." I ended up setting toe in 1/8" and tightening everything down even though the adjuster nut doesn't line up.

tie rod.jpg

JTCO

Meme King
I ended up doing it the hard way...

The Synergy instructions say to set toe in 1/16" to 1/8" measuring at the front and back of the tires. They also say to line a split in the adjuster nut up with the split in the tie rod. There was no way I could get that to work, at one split in the adjuster nut it was toe out 1/16" and at the other split it was toe in 3/4." I ended up setting toe in 1/8" and tightening everything down even though the adjuster nut doesn't line up.

Were you able to leave the tires on or no?

CalSgt

Aren't you supposed to set the tie-rod on the Jeep after it's been installed?

I tried to do it WJCO's way by leaving the tires on the ground & matching tie rod length to the knuckles but couldn't get it.

I did install the tie rod then set toe after, just couldn't get the adjuster nut ant tie rod splits to line up...

Here is the split I'm talking about, there's also a split in the tie rod on the back side with a pinch nut to lock everything down.
nut.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I tried to do it WJCO's way by leaving the tires on the ground & matching tie rod length to the knuckles but couldn't get it.

I did install the tie rod then set toe after, just couldn't get the adjuster nut ant tie rod splits to line up...

Here is the split I'm talking about, there's also a split in the tie rod on the back side with a pinch nut to lock everything down.

Do the instructions call for them to line up?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but there was no way to line them up & still have reasonable alignment

instruction screenshot

Well, what I see is what's "recommended" but not critical. I personally wouldn't worry about it too much especially if your toe-in is on.

CalSgt

Well, what I see is what's "recommended" but not critical. I personally wouldn't worry about it too much especially if your toe-in is on.

The toe is set good... I figured that was more important than the slots lining up, I'm relieved to hear that you don't think its a big deal.

I was stressing over it last night so I went through and marked every bolt and joint with a dab of tamper paint so I can see if things move.