Torque setting question

VitaMeVas

The torque setting for the rear lower control arm nut is “74 ft lbs + 50 degrees”. Does this mean to torque to 74 ft lbs, and then go another 50 degrees (ie roughly a quarter turn more)? If yes, why? I assume it has something to do with the stretch on the bolt threads, but I’m wondering if someone can answer my stupid question. Thanks

Attachments

• E389BE02-4BAF-4C6B-9FA4-EDE94FEA16C4.jpeg
    E389BE02-4BAF-4C6B-9FA4-EDE94FEA16C4.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 93

Jdofmemi

It is called the "torque-turn" method.

One reason is to eliminate the change in torque values due to different amounts of friction. At the lower initial torque value the effects of friction are less apparent than they will be at the final required setting. If threads are clean or dirty, dry or oily, or any other variables, you will still hit close to the correct fastening strength.

The initial torque gets the bolt "tight" The turn gives a percent of stretch to the bolt to keep things together.

When doing these, use a marker to mark where the head should end up. That way if you have to re set your wrench, you don't loose track of where it needs to get to.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Some bolts on my heavy equipment have values like 300 ft/lbs + 180 degrees. Eat your Wheaties for those.

VitaMeVas

It is called the "torque-turn" method.

One reason is to eliminate the change in torque values due to different amounts of friction. At the lower initial torque value the effects of friction are less apparent than they will be at the final required setting. If threads are clean or dirty, dry or oily, or any other variables, you will still hit close to the correct fastening strength.

The initial torque gets the bolt "tight" The turn gives a percent of stretch to the bolt to keep things together.

When doing these, use a marker to mark where the head should end up. That way if you have to re set your wrench, you don't loose track of where it needs to get to.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Some bolts on my heavy equipment have values like 300 ft/lbs + 180 degrees. Eat your Wheaties for those.

Thanks!! Wow, 300 ft lbs. Hernia-city