BUILDING a DYNATRAC PROROCK 44 : A Close Up Look at How an Awesome Front Axle is Made

NFRs2000NYC

I saw that, I guess maybe I wasn’t understanding it. I’m assuming the OEM locker is sending a signal to the control module telling it what state it’s in, and that’s something aftermarket lockers don’t do? I guess they would need to make an elocker that can communicate with the OEM module for the stock switch to be operational?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I saw that, I guess maybe I wasn’t understanding it. I’m assuming the OEM locker is sending a signal to the control module telling it what state it’s in, and that’s something aftermarket lockers don’t do? I guess they would need to make an elocker that can communicate with the OEM module for the stock switch to be operational?

Correct. The OEM e-locker communicates with the computer. The e-locker in a ProRock 44 is more or less the same thing but when you look at one, you can see that it's clearly been redesigned for the JL. I would imagine that someone could make it work but from past experience, I wouldn't want an e-locker. We've found that over time and hard use, it starts to develop fractures that cause it to swell internally. This prevents the wave springs from working and that causes the dog clutch to stick in one position. Typically, in the locked position. I can't count how many times we've had to open up a differential in a place like Moab to free it up manually and just so that someone in our group could get home without having to fight with their locker being on.

Jdofmemi

Correct. The OEM e-locker communicates with the computer. The e-locker in a ProRock 44 is more or less the same thing but when you look at one, you can see that it's clearly been redesigned for the JL. I would imagine that someone could make it work but from past experience, I wouldn't want an e-locker. We've found that over time and hard use, it starts to develop fractures that cause it to swell internally. This prevents the wave springs from working and that causes the dog clutch to stick in one position. Typically, in the locked position. I can't count how many times we've had to open up a differential in a place like Moab to free it up manually and just so that someone in our group could get home without having to fight with their locker being on.

Thanks for the great info Eddie.

My wallet is starting to hate you😂

This might explain why my rear locker in my JK sometimes doesn't release. One trip it stayed locked for about five miles of dirt roads after the trail. I kept driving over the roughest parts of the road, and eventually the bouncing must have jarred it loose and it unlocked not far from where we hit the highway.
I was not looking forward to taking it apart just to unlock it.

After that time it has stuck sometimes, but only for short distances. Turning right and left a few times usually does the trick.

I'm seeing ARB money in my future now.

BillArnett

Thanks for the great info Eddie.

My wallet is starting to hate you😂

This might explain why my rear locker in my JK sometimes doesn't release. One trip it stayed locked for about five miles of dirt roads after the trail. I kept driving over the roughest parts of the road, and eventually the bouncing must have jarred it loose and it unlocked not far from where we hit the highway.
I was not looking forward to taking it apart just to unlock it.

After that time it has stuck sometimes, but only for short distances. Turning right and left a few times usually does the trick.

I'm seeing ARB money in my future now.

The same thing happened to my JK. I had to drive 50 miles of pavement with a locked rear. FCA replaced it under warranty. Later, my sway bar disconnect died but I had to pay for that one.

Saddletramp

The same thing happened to my JK. I had to drive 50 miles of pavement with a locked rear. FCA replaced it under warranty. Later, my sway bar disconnect died but I had to pay for that one.

But how much more of a carbon footprint did you create by driving 50 miles "locked" on pavement...:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Sorry, I keed, I keed... too soon???, lol.

Onlyone

That is interesting. Thanks for the explanation. That happened to a friend of mine in Moab too. We couldn’t figure out why his front locker wouldn’t disengage. We unplugged everything and nothing worked.

13_gecko_rubi

Interesting. I'm the polar opposite and won't run anything but elockers now. The Auburn's in my XD60/PR80 have been great so far. Time will tell, Jim told me it's what he has in his too which gave me some faith.

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is interesting. Thanks for the explanation. That happened to a friend of mine in Moab too. We couldn’t figure out why his front locker wouldn’t disengage. We unplugged everything and nothing worked.

At that point and time, nothing short of opening up the cover and prying the dog clutch to the side will get it to release.

Interesting. I'm the polar opposite and won't run anything but elockers now. The Auburn's in my XD60/PR80 have been great so far. Time will tell, Jim told me it's what he has in his too which gave me some faith.

Sent via....

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of an e-locker - I just haven't had good luck with them. Sure, you can have cut or melted lines on an ARB but ever since I started running stainless steel braided lines, I haven't had any issues and for years and years. Of course, there are all kinds of ways to patch up air lines and we've even gotten one to work off of a Powertank in a pinch. :crazyeyes:

13_gecko_rubi

At that point and time, nothing short of opening up the cover and prying the dog clutch to the side will get it to release.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of an e-locker - I just haven't had good luck with them. Sure, you can have cut or melted lines on an ARB but ever since I started running stainless steel braided lines, I haven't had any issues and for years and years. Of course, there are all kinds of ways to patch up air lines and we've even gotten one to work off of a Powertank in a pinch. :crazyeyes:
Ya I never had issues with my arbs. They actually worked great. But then last 3 years ever trip I've been on someone has had an internal seal go in one. Odds are low, I should have bought a lottery ticket lol. Usually it's a set up issue but not in these ones. Who knows, now I'm just paranoid. Ask me again in a couple years my take on the E lockers lol.

Sent via....

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Ya I never had issues with my arbs. They actually worked great. But then last 3 years ever trip I've been on someone has had an internal seal go in one. Odds are low, I should have bought a lottery ticket lol. Usually it's a set up issue but not in these ones. Who knows, now I'm just paranoid. Ask me again in a couple years my take on the E lockers lol.

Sent via....

I think it’s an arb issue. I know a few people that have had continually issues.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app