4H

Mgchiro

Does anyone have any issues shifting from 2H to 4H? Once I am in 4H, even moderate turning seems like there is rubbing of some sort. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to get it checked out. I only have 500 miles on my Rubicon and was going to put it in 4H today due to snowstorm coming. Once I did it, I realized it was difficult to turn? Appreciate any input as this is my 1st Wrangler. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Does anyone have any issues shifting from 2H to 4H? Once I am in 4H, even moderate turning seems like there is rubbing of some sort. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to get it checked out. I only have 500 miles on my Rubicon and was going to put it in 4H today due to snowstorm coming. Once I did it, I realized it was difficult to turn? Appreciate any input as this is my 1st Wrangler. Thanks.

Difficult to turn? Or there is rubbing?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Jdofmemi

The rubbing makes it difficult to turn in 4H. Totally fine in 2H.

Have you owned a 4 wheel drive before?

Not All Wheel drive, a true 4 wheel drive.

When you lock the front and rear axles then turn, the tires make different sized arcs, and something will slip. On dirt it is hardly noticeable, but on pavement it binds up. The tighter the turn, the more binding occurs.

Wait until the road is actually slippery, then use 4 wheel drive

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

Jeeeep

Shouldn't it still turn normal on dry pavement? Does it not turn normal in 4H? I just assumed it would. You still have to make sharp turns in snowy weather, right?

like others have mentioned, 4H is not the same as all-wheel drive

4H provides more traction simultaneously to the wheels and in doing so requires some slippage. When using 4H each wheel spins at a similar speed and that is why you feel the binding.

All-wheel drive, the wheels spin at different speeds which make for smoother turns.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Shouldn't it still turn normal on dry pavement? Does it not turn normal in 4H? I just assumed it would. You still have to make sharp turns in snowy weather, right?

No, it should not turn normal on dry pavement. Yes, sometimes you do have to make sharp turns in snowy weather. Do not confuse selectable four-wheel drive with all-wheel drive. My wife is looking at the Sahara/Moab JLs due to the availability of Selec-Trac on those models. If the Selec-Trac transfer case was available on JLR/JLURs, then she would probably already have one.

Mgchiro

like others have mentioned, 4H is not the same as all-wheel drive

4H provides more traction simultaneously to the wheels and in doing so requires some slippage. When using 4H each wheel spins at a similar speed and that is why you feel the binding.

All-wheel drive, the wheels spin at different speeds which make for smoother turns.
Thank you for explaining that. I never knew there was a difference between 4wd vs. Awd. Seems like Awd is better then. Is it not?

Mgchiro

No, it should not turn normal on dry pavement. Yes, sometimes you do have to make sharp turns in snowy weather. Do not confuse selectable four-wheel drive with all-wheel drive. My wife is looking at the Sahara/Moab JLs due to the availability of Selec-Trac on those models. If the Selec-Trac transfer case was available on JLR/JLURs, then she would probably already have one.
Thank you for explaining that. I am surprised the Rubicon doesn't have that feature for the money it costs.

VitaMeVas

Thank you for explaining that. I am surprised the Rubicon doesn't have that feature for the money it costs.

Know the features of a vehicle BEFORE you buy one. People buy the Rubicon for features like 4WD, locking differentials and sway bar disconnect. Not the Sticker on the hood. If you don’t know what 4WD is, then you need to research the other things I mentioned and take a look at the owners manual.

Jdofmemi

Thank you for explaining that. I never knew there was a difference between 4wd vs. Awd. Seems like Awd is better then. Is it not?

All wheel drive is good for cars that don't leave the road much but need to drive in snow and ice.

All wheel drive sucks off road for more reasons than I care to type about

What you are calling a feature is not. It would ruin the whole point of a Rubicon.

Daily driving...I wanted to switch to 4H because we are supposed to get 6-8 inches of snow. Didn't realize it would drive so differently when turning when trying to turn. I had to turn gradually due to rubbing. I decided to switch it back to 2H.

Put it in 4Hi, when it snows. Not just because it is going to snow.

Storman

Nothing is rubbing, it’s just one wheel trying to go slower than the other. It may feel like rubbing or even the brakes being applied on one side . Wait for the snow flakes to hit the ground and stick, then use 4wd Hi and your wheel will slip you won’t even notice. Remember the vehicle feel and performance will be different in 4 Hi in snow . Go snow wheeling [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app