View Poll Results: Should Bill Arnett shut up and leave?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: If you think saving the planet is nonsense then I wish you would move to another one

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillArnett View Post
    I didn't answer because I don't have a quantitative answer. I only drove my JL a few days before putting on the 37s and the lift. If I had to guess I've lost 2 or 3 mpg. It went from really really bad to really really really bad. That's the price I have to pay to do get to the places I love and do the things that I enjoy. I don't think it's hypocritical, it's just an unfortunate trade off. And it's exactly why I'm so eager to get an EV off-roader.
    I suppose you can buy carbon credits, and inhale your own flatulence, to try and make it up.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

If you think saving the planet is nonsense then I wish you would move to another one

Here's a map of Nevada with a circle of radius 150 miles superimposed on it:

Attachment 9298

Now show me where you can place the center of that circle so that there are no gas stations inside. OK, sometimes the roads don't go straight so pretend the circle is a little smaller. There's still no way you can be in Nevada and 150 miles from the nearest gas station. Or almost anywhere else in the USA (except for Alaska).

And if you look at the Supercharger map I posted earlier you'll see that there's no place in Nevada that more than 150 miles from a Supercharger, too. And Nevada is nearly the worst case example, only Montana and North Dakota (and Alaska) have less coverage.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Can you give an example of a place you think might be out of range?
    You do understand that radius is from the center out to the edge, right? So from one side of the circle passing through the center to the opposite side is 300 fucking miles? Have you ever even driven around central and eastern Nevada?

Sometimes, depending on the day of the week or the hour of the day, you can be hard pressed to even find a working gas pump in the smallest towns. Somewhere around 60% of Nevada is public land and last I checked the BLM is not running gas stations...much less charging hubs for Teslas.

We like it that way. Get on the wrong (or right depending on your perspective) dirt road and you could drive for many, many hours without seeing any signs of real civilization. Do it in the winter and you could end up dead if you arenít well-equipped and well-versed in Nevada back country.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Last edited by sharkey; 03-04-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    Could you imagine waiting 9.5 hours for your tree hugger wheeling buddy to charge his shit? Screenshot_20190304-001110_Chrome.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ce-age-retrea/

Ok, which one of you dirtbags has been wheeling on Mars again? Maybe our savior, Lord Musk, will hurry up and get some charging stations on the red planet.

I believe we should all try to be good stewards of our planet. Most people I know and associate with who enjoy the outdoors are infinitely better at being stewards of the land than the Tesla driving, latte drinking, loud mouths who like to spout off about what they think is good for the environment because they read it somewhere.

While I believe that we can negatively impact our environment in the short run...it is the ultimate example of human hubris to believe that we have any real understanding of our planet or the cycles it has gone through and will continue to go through.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two BillArnett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    You do understand that radius is from the center out to the edge, right? So from one side of the circle passing through the center to the opposite side is 300 fucking miles? Have you ever even driven around central and eastern Nevada?
    Of course I understand that. And it means that with a 300 mile range I can reach any point inside the circle from any other point inside it. Or I can start at the center and reach any other point in less than 150 miles. Plus a bit for the roads not being straight.

There are currently Tesla Superchargers all along the I-80 and US 95 corridors (Reno, Lovelock, Winnemucca, Elko, Wendover, Tonopah, Hawthorne, Beatty, and Las Vegas). There is no place in Nevada more than 150 miles from one of those. So I can start at one of those and reach any other point in Nevada and return. Or go on thru to one of the other chargers. Itís along way from Tonopah to Wendover (thru Ely) but itís doable. (And thereís a slow charger in Ely for emergencies. And no doubt more Tesla chargers in the future.)

Now of course, my actual range maybe somewhat less when driving off road. I donít think anyone knows what that might actually be. Rough roads are not good for mileage. But slow speeds are. It remains to be seen. And the net effects will be different for EVs than for gas powered vehicles.

Sometimes, depending on the day of the week or the hour of the day, you can be hard pressed to even find a working gas pump in the smallest towns. Somewhere around 60% of Nevada is public land and last I checked the BLM is not running gas stations...much less charging hubs for Teslas.

We like it that way. Get on the wrong (or right depending on your perspective) dirt road and you could drive for many, many hours without seeing any signs of real civilization. Do it in the winter and you could end up dead if you arenít well-equipped and well-verse in Nevada back country.
    I like it that way, too. And I wouldnít venture out there unprepared. Including knowing just what my range will be on the kind of roads Iím planning for. Thatís independent of what kind of vehicle Iím driving.

Perhaps Iím stating this too strongly. There may well be a spot or two in Nevada that a Rivian or a Tesla pickup couldnít reach. The ability to carry extra gas on a Jeep is certainly an advantage. (I have 2 5 gal Jerry cans on my JL but Iíve never had to use them.) All Iím saying is that thatís at best a rare case.
    2018 JLUR Granite, 3.6L auto, all the goodies; ARB "Quad" on-board air, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.5R17, Pro Comp Predator 17x8.5 wheels, Rubicon Express 2.5" lift, King remote res shocks, aFe Rock Basher exhaust, LoD Destroyer Shorty front & rear bumpers, LoD Signature rock sliders, Warn Zeon 10-S

The evidence has been meticulously gathered over several decades, carefully peer-reviewed by the experts in the field and accepted by the vast majority of the scientific community. Do you seriously think theyíve all been hoodwinked? Have you looked at the data yourself? Do you have the ability to analyze it? Are you sure your (perfectly reasonable) love of Jeeps and off-roading isnít coloring your judgement?
    This is a joke right? This is "political" science. It will always be something: ice age, global warming, and when the data smacks you, climate "change."

The only constant on this planet is change...except for retarded idelogy

Sent from my Pixel XL using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar

If you think saving the planet is nonsense then I wish you would move to another one

Last edited by notnalc68; 03-04-2019 at 04:52 AM.

About 2/3 of Americans believe climate change is a serious problem and the nation needs to take action:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/mee...debate-n950646

The whole article is actually pretty interesting. It's all about the partisan divide, not the real issue. (As is the case in many other areas.)
    Just because it is believed to be true, does not make it ture. Feelings have no bearing on truth.

It's really hard to have a meaningful discussion if we can't even agree on the facts.
    This is the smartest thing I've read in the whole thread. My opinion is that 90% of what the government tells us if only 10% truth. They have an agenda and that agenda is based on profit. I'm sure there are just as many scientific studies proving climate change is natural as there are stating man it's the root cause. There has to be a plan in place for when there aren't enough profits in fossil fuels and it seems that scaring the people into thinking they are harming the planet is a good way to initiate the change.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

Of course I understand that. And it means that with a 300 mile range I can reach any point inside the circle from any other point inside it. Or I can start at the center and reach any other point in less than 150 miles. Plus a bit for the roads not being straight.

There are currently Tesla Superchargers all along the I-80 and US 95 corridors (Reno, Lovelock, Winnemucca, Elko, Wendover, Tonopah, Hawthorne, Beatty, and Las Vegas). There is no place in Nevada more than 150 miles from one of those. So I can start at one of those and reach any other point in Nevada and return. Or go on thru to one of the other chargers. Itís along way from Tonopah to Wendover (thru Ely) but itís doable. (And thereís a slow charger in Ely for emergencies. And no doubt more Tesla chargers in the future.)

Now of course, my actual range maybe somewhat less when driving off road. I donít think anyone knows what that might actually be. Rough roads are not good for mileage. But slow speeds are. It remains to be seen. And the net effects will be different for EVs than for gas powered vehicles.

I like it that way, too. And I wouldnít venture out there unprepared. Including knowing just what my range will be on the kind of roads Iím planning for. Thatís independent of what kind of vehicle Iím driving.

Perhaps Iím stating this too strongly. There may well be a spot or two in Nevada that a Rivian or a Tesla pickup couldnít reach. The ability to carry extra gas on a Jeep is certainly an advantage. (I have 2 5 gal Jerry cans on my JL but Iíve never had to use them.) All Iím saying is that thatís at best a rare case.
    Again simple not true. I posted facts that gas is 163 miles apart, on pavement. You continue to post nothing but garbage and myths.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast