View Poll Results: Should Bill Arnett shut up and leave?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: If you think saving the planet is nonsense then I wish you would move to another one

Knows a Thing or Two BillArnett's Avatar

Cool If you think saving the planet is nonsense then I wish you would move to another one

Quote Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
    I hate ESS so much, that if someone could grant me a wish and remove ONE thing I hate about the JL, like the FAD, ESS, second battery, etc, it would be the ESS. ESS is probably the worst feature fitted to vehicles today, and IMHO, in the right situation, it could be fatal.
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I'd have to say that I'm with you on this. I really do hate it more than any other grievance that I might have with the JL. Sure, you can defeat it with this or that but you still have the stupid light on your EVIC.
    I suppose itís a personal thing but I just donít get why yíall hate the ESS so much. To me, itís completely innocuous. Maybe itís worse with a manual? It would be annoying when rock crawling but it is disabled in 4wd. So whatís the big deal?

If I had one thing to change it would probably be the FAD.
    2018 JLUR Granite, 3.6L auto, all the goodies; ARB "Quad" on-board air, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.5R17, Pro Comp Predator 17x8.5 wheels, Rubicon Express 2.5" lift, King remote res shocks, aFe Rock Basher exhaust, LoD Destroyer Shorty front & rear bumpers, LoD Signature rock sliders, Warn Zeon 10-S

Been Around the Block
    Quote Originally Posted by BillArnett View Post
    I suppose itís a personal thing but I just donít get why yíall hate the ESS so much. To me, itís completely innocuous. Maybe itís worse with a manual? It would be annoying when rock crawling but it is disabled in 4wd. So whatís the big deal?

I hate the ESS, I've had it surge a few times where it almost put me into the car in front of me.

$300 for a starter that IMO is designed to wear out quicker because of ESS is asinine; haven't looked to see how easy/difficult the repair is but hopefully it can be DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by Spack View Post
    I have found that once you come to a stop, let almost completely off the brake and Engine stop never kicks in

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Totally roght. I found this too. I think jeep did a good job with the ess, because you can control if it turns off with the pressure you put on your pedal if the vehicle comes to a total stop.
    Before I had the JL I wished I could remove this feature. Now I love it on traffic lights that stay red for about hours or railway crossings

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR
    Mr.Giant - '92 YJ, Flat Black
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR, Bright White

LOL - well duh it's a personal thing! Hence, why NFRs2000NYC said "I hate" and I responded to him with "I'm with you". This as opposed to saying, "everyone" hates. And really, I suppose it's just me but after a lifetime of driving hundreds of thousands of miles, I've just kinda got used to the idea that when I pull up to a stop light, my engine shouldn't just die on me. I'm mean, it's not like I haven't had that happen to me on other vehicles I've owned or even still own but typically, that means something is wrong.

As far as FAD goes, I for one actually kinda like it especially after having it for over a year and have driven it for well over 20,000 miles. To me, itís completely innocuous. If anything, I love how I can run more positive caster with it being that my front drive shaft won't spin unless I'm in 4WD. Not like I even have to push a stupid button to do that or play around with anything what I get to a stop light to keep it from engaging. So for me, I can't see what the big deal is with other than the fact that for some people, the housing is a weak point. For most, it'll never be an issue. And, it's not as if it'd be a problem if it were to stop working. Not like the ESS anyway. But hey, that's just me.

... I've just kinda got used to the idea that when I pull up to a stop light, my engine shouldn't just die on me. I'm mean, it's not like I haven't had that happen to me on other vehicles I've owned or even still own but typically, that means something is wrong...
    I think that's probably the best explanation. I have to admit it would have startled me the first time I drove a JL if I hadn't already been aware of the issue. I've certainly owned a lot of vehicles where that would certainly have been a cause for concern and all too many where that concern was real.

I also discovered the trick mentioned above of using very light brake pressure to trick the ESS. The technique is simple enough: just brake as usual but at the very last second release the brake pressure to just enough to stop very gently. (This has the additional benefit of making a very smooth comfortable stop with no jerk.) It's OK to keep just enough pressure to prevent the creep. The engine will stay running. If you get bored you can later press harder on the brake and the ESS will stop the engine.

Another trick: if the ESS has done its thing and the engine is off you can start it again by very lightly tapping the accelerator pedal while still holding the brake (all good off-roaders use left-foot braking, right? :-) I sometimes do that when I anticipate that I'm about to go (but usually I find that the ESS starts the engine again so quickly that it doesn't matter).
    2018 JLUR Granite, 3.6L auto, all the goodies; ARB "Quad" on-board air, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.5R17, Pro Comp Predator 17x8.5 wheels, Rubicon Express 2.5" lift, King remote res shocks, aFe Rock Basher exhaust, LoD Destroyer Shorty front & rear bumpers, LoD Signature rock sliders, Warn Zeon 10-S

That's just the thing I don't like about the ESS, you actually have to think about it and all the time. At least with the FAD, I never think about it.

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar

Having no power in a vehicle that is on the road in traffic is Alexandria Ocasio Cortez level stupid. Only an idiot politician thought that something like this was a good idea.

Having no power in a vehicle that is on the road in traffic is Alexandria Ocasio Cortez level stupid. Only an idiot politician thought that something like this was a good idea.
    Okay, that was pretty damn funny. But, I should not that's not just on road you'd have no power - it's off road as well. The ESS is still active in 4HI and is only disabled completely in 4LO.

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    Okay, that was pretty damn funny. But, I should not that's not just on road you'd have no power - it's off road as well. The ESS is still active in 4HI and is only disabled completely in 4LO.
    But at least offroad you aren't in the middle of an intersection only to have your power cut out on you. I've been in situations before where an accident would 100% have happened had I had that 1/2 second delay before I can get on the power to get out of a situation. You saying that it does it offroad too is just icing on the turd cake.

Well, let’s not get into a political personality pissing contest; some of us think AOC is right on. But neither she nor any other congressman made decisions at that level of detail. The laws only mandate certain energy efficiency standards; the manufacturers decide how to achieve them.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast