If you think saving the planet is nonsense then I wish you would move to another one

Should Bill Arnett shut up and leave?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I didn't answer because I don't have a quantitative answer. I only drove my JL a few days before putting on the 37s and the lift. If I had to guess I've lost 2 or 3 mpg. It went from really really bad to really really really bad. That's the price I have to pay to do get to the places I love and do the things that I enjoy. I don't think it's hypocritical, it's just an unfortunate trade off. And it's exactly why I'm so eager to get an EV off-roader.

I suppose you can buy carbon credits, and inhale your own flatulence, to try and make it up.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

sharkey

Word Ninja
Here's a map of Nevada with a circle of radius 150 miles superimposed on it:

View attachment 9298

Now show me where you can place the center of that circle so that there are no gas stations inside. OK, sometimes the roads don't go straight so pretend the circle is a little smaller. There's still no way you can be in Nevada and 150 miles from the nearest gas station. Or almost anywhere else in the USA (except for Alaska).

And if you look at the Supercharger map I posted earlier you'll see that there's no place in Nevada that more than 150 miles from a Supercharger, too. And Nevada is nearly the worst case example, only Montana and North Dakota (and Alaska) have less coverage.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Can you give an example of a place you think might be out of range?

You do understand that radius is from the center out to the edge, right? So from one side of the circle passing through the center to the opposite side is 300 fucking miles? Have you ever even driven around central and eastern Nevada?

Sometimes, depending on the day of the week or the hour of the day, you can be hard pressed to even find a working gas pump in the smallest towns. Somewhere around 60% of Nevada is public land and last I checked the BLM is not running gas stations...much less charging hubs for Teslas.

We like it that way. Get on the wrong (or right depending on your perspective) dirt road and you could drive for many, many hours without seeing any signs of real civilization. Do it in the winter and you could end up dead if you aren’t well-equipped and well-versed in Nevada back country.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

sharkey

Word Ninja
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/31/mars-also-undergoing-climate-change-ice-age-retrea/

Ok, which one of you dirtbags has been wheeling on Mars again? Maybe our savior, Lord Musk, will hurry up and get some charging stations on the red planet.

I believe we should all try to be good stewards of our planet. Most people I know and associate with who enjoy the outdoors are infinitely better at being stewards of the land than the Tesla driving, latte drinking, loud mouths who like to spout off about what they think is good for the environment because they read it somewhere.

While I believe that we can negatively impact our environment in the short run...it is the ultimate example of human hubris to believe that we have any real understanding of our planet or the cycles it has gone through and will continue to go through.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

BillArnett

You do understand that radius is from the center out to the edge, right? So from one side of the circle passing through the center to the opposite side is 300 fucking miles? Have you ever even driven around central and eastern Nevada?
Of course I understand that. And it means that with a 300 mile range I can reach any point inside the circle from any other point inside it. Or I can start at the center and reach any other point in less than 150 miles. Plus a bit for the roads not being straight.

There are currently Tesla Superchargers all along the I-80 and US 95 corridors (Reno, Lovelock, Winnemucca, Elko, Wendover, Tonopah, Hawthorne, Beatty, and Las Vegas). There is no place in Nevada more than 150 miles from one of those. So I can start at one of those and reach any other point in Nevada and return. Or go on thru to one of the other chargers. It’s along way from Tonopah to Wendover (thru Ely) but it’s doable. (And there’s a slow charger in Ely for emergencies. And no doubt more Tesla chargers in the future.)

Now of course, my actual range maybe somewhat less when driving off road. I don’t think anyone knows what that might actually be. Rough roads are not good for mileage. But slow speeds are. It remains to be seen. And the net effects will be different for EVs than for gas powered vehicles.

Sometimes, depending on the day of the week or the hour of the day, you can be hard pressed to even find a working gas pump in the smallest towns. Somewhere around 60% of Nevada is public land and last I checked the BLM is not running gas stations...much less charging hubs for Teslas.

We like it that way. Get on the wrong (or right depending on your perspective) dirt road and you could drive for many, many hours without seeing any signs of real civilization. Do it in the winter and you could end up dead if you aren’t well-equipped and well-verse in Nevada back country.

I like it that way, too. And I wouldn’t venture out there unprepared. Including knowing just what my range will be on the kind of roads I’m planning for. That’s independent of what kind of vehicle I’m driving.

Perhaps I’m stating this too strongly. There may well be a spot or two in Nevada that a Rivian or a Tesla pickup couldn’t reach. The ability to carry extra gas on a Jeep is certainly an advantage. (I have 2 5 gal Jerry cans on my JL but I’ve never had to use them.) All I’m saying is that that’s at best a rare case.

JeepGA

The evidence has been meticulously gathered over several decades, carefully peer-reviewed by the experts in the field and accepted by the vast majority of the scientific community. Do you seriously think they’ve all been hoodwinked? Have you looked at the data yourself? Do you have the ability to analyze it? Are you sure your (perfectly reasonable) love of Jeeps and off-roading isn’t coloring your judgement?
This is a joke right? This is "political" science. It will always be something: ice age, global warming, and when the data smacks you, climate "change."

The only constant on this planet is change...except for retarded idelogy

Sent from my Pixel XL using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wibornz

YAHAHA

It's really hard to have a meaningful discussion if we can't even agree on the facts.
This is the smartest thing I've read in the whole thread. My opinion is that 90% of what the government tells us if only 10% truth. They have an agenda and that agenda is based on profit. I'm sure there are just as many scientific studies proving climate change is natural as there are stating man it's the root cause. There has to be a plan in place for when there aren't enough profits in fossil fuels and it seems that scaring the people into thinking they are harming the planet is a good way to initiate the change.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Of course I understand that. And it means that with a 300 mile range I can reach any point inside the circle from any other point inside it. Or I can start at the center and reach any other point in less than 150 miles. Plus a bit for the roads not being straight.

There are currently Tesla Superchargers all along the I-80 and US 95 corridors (Reno, Lovelock, Winnemucca, Elko, Wendover, Tonopah, Hawthorne, Beatty, and Las Vegas). There is no place in Nevada more than 150 miles from one of those. So I can start at one of those and reach any other point in Nevada and return. Or go on thru to one of the other chargers. It’s along way from Tonopah to Wendover (thru Ely) but it’s doable. (And there’s a slow charger in Ely for emergencies. And no doubt more Tesla chargers in the future.)

Now of course, my actual range maybe somewhat less when driving off road. I don’t think anyone knows what that might actually be. Rough roads are not good for mileage. But slow speeds are. It remains to be seen. And the net effects will be different for EVs than for gas powered vehicles.

I like it that way, too. And I wouldn’t venture out there unprepared. Including knowing just what my range will be on the kind of roads I’m planning for. That’s independent of what kind of vehicle I’m driving.

Perhaps I’m stating this too strongly. There may well be a spot or two in Nevada that a Rivian or a Tesla pickup couldn’t reach. The ability to carry extra gas on a Jeep is certainly an advantage. (I have 2 5 gal Jerry cans on my JL but I’ve never had to use them.) All I’m saying is that that’s at best a rare case.

Again simple not true. I posted facts that gas is 163 miles apart, on pavement. You continue to post nothing but garbage and myths.

ddays v2

for when there aren't enough profits in fossil fuels

This is one more farce that's been shoved down our throats for years. This nonsensical notion of "Peak Oil". The date keeps on getting kicked on down the road on the date this will supposedly happen as well. Fact is, we're never gonna run out of petroleum. Here's a funny article from 2004 (!) Where it was noted that the worlds oil supply would top out in 2005.

https://www.livescience.com/3754-oil-fuel-civilization.html

Fast forward to 2019 and the US is GASP!, and oil EXPORTER and there is no end in site to oil reserves as we keep finding more and technology improves where we can extract it cheaper via alternative methods.

Last edited:

Spack

You do realize that Supercharges have a proprietary charging port, meaning that unless you have a Tesla, your maps extolling quick and easy battery fills no matter where you are moot. Tesla does not make a vehicle which can go off road. If you want your precious ev off-roader, well, you’re fucked. And don’t forget, your mileage may say 150 miles but that’s road driving. Much less on a trail, then half that so you have some charge to get back out, then to a charging station.

You mentioned above about ‘who’s quibbling about 13 miles’ in reference to gas being 163 miles. Well, I bet you would be when you have to push your heavy ass, carbon spewing, baby seal killing Jeep uphill the last 13 miles to put some gas in it. With an electric motor/generator, I don’t even know how easy it would be to push a Tesla.

BillArnett

Just because it is believed to be true, does not make it ture. Feelings have no bearing on truth.

That’s right, of course. I was just replying to the assertion the a majority believed otherwise.

The correctness of people’s beliefs doesn’t change the truth but it does affect the politics of it.

BillArnett

... I'm sure there are just as many scientific studies proving climate change is natural as there are stating man it's the root cause..

That’s not true. If you do a literature search you’ll find 1000s of papers with results all over the map. But the vast majority of them support the consensus theory.

And notion that the majority of the scientific community is bought and paid for by a cabal of tree huggers is just absurd.