If you think saving the planet is nonsense then I wish you would move to another one

Should Bill Arnett shut up and leave?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

BillArnett

You may be right actually.... You're not going to believe this. Just yesterday this was all grass, then suddenly a big bad cloud of fossil fuels came rushing into the area and this happened!!!!!

View attachment 9242

You don’t expect anyone to take that seriously, do you?

The evidence for human-caused climate change is overwhelming. If you don’t understand that you’re not paying attention.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Most of my miles are in my Tesla. And I’m eagerly awaiting an EV off-roader.

LOL! Because there's nothing harmful about batteries or where the electricity comes from to charge them up. :thumb:

The Rivian (Google it) looks pretty good but it’s no Wranger.

Nope, it's nothing like what you're purposefully choosing to destroying the planet in now and one mile at a time.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I suppose it’s a personal thing but I just don’t get why y’all hate the ESS so much. To me, it’s completely innocuous. Maybe it’s worse with a manual? It would be annoying when rock crawling but it is disabled in 4wd. So what’s the big deal?

If I had one thing to change it would probably be the FAD.

Every vehicle I’ve driven, with ESS, annoys me, where I live. We have very high humidity, and the interior begins to get warm at stoplights.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

notnalc68

If you think saving the planet is nonsense then I wish you would move to another one so the rest of us can get on with fixing the mess that 100 years of burning fossil fuels have made on this one.

I love the internal combustion engine. You can drive your way, and I’ll drive mine. Maybe being green, you can cancel me out. Since our country was founded on individual liberty, and not group rule, I think I can do whatever I like.

JTCO

Meme King
The evidence for human-caused climate change is overwhelming. If you don’t understand that you’re not paying attention.

The evidence you're referring to has been polished, wrapped up in a little pretty green box, and sold to people just like you. There's a sucker born every minute. If you don’t understand that you’re not paying attention.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

The planet was here long before we ever were and it'll be around a lot longer after we're all gone. Change happens, ask the creatures that lived before the Permian–Triassic extinction. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the planet needs to be "saved". It'll spank our asses in an instant, with or without our consent.

JTCO

Meme King
The planet was here long before we ever were and it'll be around a lot longer after we're all gone. Change happens, ask the creatures that lived before the Permian–Triassic extinction. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the planet needs to be "saved". It'll spank our asses in an instant, with or without our consent.

I think it's a likely conspiracy that the Tyrannosaurus Rex was the 'bad guy.' I bet they were the only species that used plastic bags and got demonized for it. If only they had a spokesperson like AOC to save them from their coming doom.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's a likely conspiracy that the Tyrannosaurus Rex was the 'bad guy.' I bet they were the only species that used plastic bags and got demonized for it. If only they had a spokesperson like AOC to save them from their coming doom.

LOL!! I think it might have been plastic straws - not bags. :idontknow:

All joking aside, the Permian–Triassic extinction took place well before there was anything remotely close to a T-rex walking the planet and fucking things up. :crazyeyes:

BillArnett

The evidence you're referring to has been polished, wrapped up in a little pretty green box, and sold to people just like you. There's a sucker born every minute. If you don’t understand that you’re not paying attention.

The evidence has been meticulously gathered over several decades, carefully peer-reviewed by the experts in the field and accepted by the vast majority of the scientific community. Do you seriously think they’ve all been hoodwinked? Have you looked at the data yourself? Do you have the ability to analyze it? Are you sure your (perfectly reasonable) love of Jeeps and off-roading isn’t coloring your judgement?

JTCO

Meme King
The evidence has been meticulously gathered over several decades, carefully peer-reviewed by the experts in the field and accepted by the vast majority of the scientific community. Do you seriously think they’ve all been hoodwinked? Have you looked at the data yourself? Do you have the ability to analyze it? Are you sure your (perfectly reasonable) love of Jeeps and off-roading isn’t coloring your judgement?

I've believed man-made climate change was a hoodwink long before I had a jeep. But hey, you just keep believing that along with Santa and the tooth fairy as much as you want but leave the rest of us the fuck alone. That's the great thing about America, you can be as stupid or smart as you want, but once the government starts legislating bullshit on people that don't want it, we have a big fucking problem.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Back in 1934, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette quoted Albert Einstein, one of the greatest scientific minds to have ever lived as saying, “There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will.” Going back even further, people used to think the world was flat. When everyone agrees with each other, nobody is asking any questions and what they agree on become a religion. Real science can only occur when there are people still WILLING to challenge what has been accepted as truth.

notnalc68

I seriously think they take a shit load of money to come up with those results. Once, the overwhelming majority of science, didn’t believe in hand washing in medical care.

I’ll ponder this, as I put the spurs to my Hemi on the drive home, belching CO2 out to feed the trees.

BillArnett

Well, there’s no doubt that “the planet” will continue to exist. And not much doubt that some life will manage to survive, too. As evidenced by the big extinction events in the past as you point out. I suspect the human race will actually manage to survive, too. But it will be VERY painful and expensive. We have the ability to shape the future; doing nothing is a choice whose consequences are not yet well understood by the general public. Please check out this:

https://www.amazon.com/Uninhabitabl...68361&s=gateway&sprefix=Uninha,aps,199&sr=8-1

It really is far worse than you think. The good news is that it’s not hopeless. It’s just expensive. My back-of-the-envelope calculation says it will cost something like 2 or 3% of GDP for the next couple of decades. Compare that to 40% of GDP that we spent to fight World War II. It’s doable. But the longer we wait the more it will cost.

BillArnett

Back in 1934, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette quoted Albert Einstein, one of the greatest scientific minds to have ever lived as saying, “There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will.” Going back even further, people used to think the world was flat. When everyone agrees with each other, nobody is asking any questions and what they agree on become a religion. Real science can only occur when there are people still WILLING to challenge what has been accepted as truth.

That is 100% right. But you cannot conclude from that that the opposite of the consensus must be the truth!

It is 100% right to keep asking questions, to keep gathering more data and to make better and better models. Yes, someday the truth may change. But in the meanwhile we have to act on the basis of the information we have.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Well, there’s no doubt that “the planet” will continue to exist. And not much doubt that some life will manage to survive, too. As evidenced by the big extinction events in the past as you point out. I suspect the human race will actually manage to survive, too. But it will be VERY painful and expensive. We have the ability to shape the future; doing nothing is a choice whose consequences are not yet well understood by the general public. Please check out this:

https://www.amazon.com/Uninhabitabl...68361&s=gateway&sprefix=Uninha,aps,199&sr=8-1

It really is far worse than you think. The good news is that it’s not hopeless. It’s just expensive. My back-of-the-envelope calculation says it will cost something like 2 or 3% of GDP for the next couple of decades. Compare that to 40% of GDP that we spent to fight World War II. It’s doable. But the longer we wait the more it will cost.

The fact that you believe this and push your ideas on other people is scary in itself. Next your going to tell me the Bible is real.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

notnalc68

That is 100% right. But you cannot conclude from that that the opposite of the consensus must be the truth!

It is 100% right to keep asking questions, to keep gathering more data and to make better and better models. Yes, someday the truth may change. But in the meanwhile we have to act on the basis of the information we have.

Ponder your own views, as you build up your Jeep, all the while making the engine work harder, using more gasoline, and emitting more carbon dioxide.