If you think saving the planet is nonsense then I wish you would move to another one

Should Bill Arnett shut up and leave?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

BillArnett

This is one more farce that's been shoved down our throats for years. This nonsensical notion of "Peak Oil". The date keeps on getting kicked on down the road on the date this will supposedly happen as well. Fact is, we're never gonna run out of petroleum. Here's a funny article from 2004 (!) Where it was noted that the worlds oil supply would top out in 2005.

https://www.livescience.com/3754-oil-fuel-civilization.html

Fast forward to 2019 and the US is GASP!, and oil EXPORTER and there is no end in site to oil reserves as we keep finding more and technology improves where we can extract it cheaper via alternative methods.

That’s technically wrong but practically correct. The amount of oil on Planet Earth is finite. It will not last forever. But it is very large and we’re not going to run out for at least a century, maybe more. Fortunately “alternative” energy sources are becoming cost competitive even without subsidies. The market will eventually shift away from fossil fuel without political pressure. But it will probably be much cheaper in the long run to accelerate that transition .

BillArnett

You do realize that Supercharges have a proprietary charging port, meaning that unless you have a Tesla, your maps extolling quick and easy battery fills no matter where you are moot. Tesla does not make a vehicle which can go off road. If you want your precious ev off-roader, well, you’re fucked. And don’t forget, your mileage may say 150 miles but that’s road driving. Much less on a trail, then half that so you have some charge to get back out, then to a charging station.

And a very nice charging port it is, too. Tesla has offered to let other manufacturers use that port but there were no takers. It’s different in other parts of the world. In Europe Tesla uses the standard CCS connector which isn’t as nice but it works. It’s a PITA that there are so many different standards. I suspect that will change eventually. Or more adapters will become available (I have one for the Chademo standard).

Tesla does not make an off-roader now. But it may some day. They will be announcing the Model Y, their “small SUV”, next week. I suspect it will be about as off-road capable as a Jeep Renegade, certainly no Wrangler. They will also be making a pickup truck sometime in the next year or two (no definite plans announced yet). I don’t expect it to compete directly with the Wrangler or Gladiator but I can always hope :)

As I said before, I do expect off-road range to be less than on pavement. But by how much is very much an open question.

You mentioned above about ‘who’s quibbling about 13 miles’ in reference to gas being 163 miles. Well, I bet you would be when you have to push your heavy ass, carbon spewing, baby seal killing Jeep uphill the last 13 miles to put some gas in it. With an electric motor/generator, I don’t even know how easy it would be to push a Tesla.

Pushing a Tesla is no different than pushing any other vehicle with similar tires and weight.

ddays v2

That’s technically wrong but practically correct. The amount of oil on Planet Earth is finite. It will not last forever. But it is very large and we’re not going to run out for at least a century, maybe more. Fortunately “alternative” energy sources are becoming cost competitive even without subsidies. The market will eventually shift away from fossil fuel without political pressure. But it will probably be much cheaper in the long run to accelerate that transition .

But by conceding that point you are acknowledging that the whole peak oil concept that had everyone up in arms decades ago has been proven factually false. No one can know if the supply is finite. That's an assumption when we don't even know for certain where it's coming from in the first place.

Point being, the experts were wrong about that. Who's to say in another 40 years it won't swing back the other way to a new ice age is coming?

dixonk

That’s not true. If you do a literature search you’ll find 1000s of papers with results all over the map. But the vast majority of them support the consensus theory.

And notion that the majority of the scientific community is bought and paid for by a cabal of tree huggers is just absurd.

There was a time in history that the majority consensus was the earth was flat.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JAGS

That’s not true. If you do a literature search you’ll find 1000s of papers with results all over the map. But the vast majority of them support the consensus theory.

And notion that the majority of the scientific community is bought and paid for by a cabal of tree huggers is just absurd.

And yet you choose to share a nbc.com story and BS about charging stations. You are doing no favors for climate change.

BillArnett

But by conceding that point you are acknowledging that the whole peak oil concept that had everyone up in arms decades ago has been proven factually false.

Yeah, they got the numbers wrong. And for exactly the reason that many here are dismissing climate change: new technology made it easier to pump oil from new places. But the whole Peak Oil thing was more about economics than climate. No one ever disputed that there is lots of coal. And that at some cost coal can be converted to liquid fuels.

No one can know if the supply is finite. That's an assumption when we don't even know for certain where it's coming from in the first place.
Of course it's finite. The whole damn Earth is finite. (The mathematician in me gets upset with sloppy use of "finite" and related terms :)

Point being, the experts were wrong about that. Who's to say in another 40 years it won't swing back the other way to a new ice age is coming?

Well, first of all we're talking about a whole different set of experts in an entirely different field. But even so, we still have to act today based on the knowledge we have today. Do you want to bet your childrens' futures on the hope that the experts are wrong?

BillArnett

... the experts were wrong about that. Who's to say in another 40 years it won't swing back the other way to a new ice age is coming?

...we're talking about a whole different set of experts in an entirely different field. But even so...

In fact, the climatologists have making predictions for several decades now. And they've mostly been wrong: the actual warming trends and CO2 levels etc have been WORSE than predicted.

YAHAHA

If you knew anything about the cabal, you'd know they ain't tree huggers.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

ddays v2

Yeah, they got the numbers wrong. And for exactly the reason that many here are dismissing climate change: new technology made it easier to pump oil from new places. But the whole Peak Oil thing was more about economics than climate. No one ever disputed that there is lots of coal. And that at some cost coal can be converted to liquid fuels.

And you're absolutely certain that in another 40 years we won't look back and say, boys, we were wrong again?

Of course it's finite. The whole damn Earth is finite. (The mathematician in me gets upset with sloppy use of "finite" and related terms :)

:rolleyes2: Finite as in the human timeline. We'll be long dead or turn ourselves into software before it runs out.

Well, first of all we're talking about a whole different set of experts in an entirely different field. But even so, we still have to act today based on the knowledge we have today. Do you want to bet your childrens' futures on the hope that the experts are wrong?

My kids are standing in front of the fridge with both doors open trying to find something good

NFRs2000NYC

You do realize that Supercharges have a proprietary charging port, meaning that unless you have a Tesla, your maps extolling quick and easy battery fills no matter where you are moot. Tesla does not make a vehicle which can go off road. If you want your precious ev off-roader, well, you’re fucked. And don’t forget, your mileage may say 150 miles but that’s road driving. Much less on a trail, then half that so you have some charge to get back out, then to a charging station.

You mentioned above about ‘who’s quibbling about 13 miles’ in reference to gas being 163 miles. Well, I bet you would be when you have to push your heavy ass, carbon spewing, baby seal killing Jeep uphill the last 13 miles to put some gas in it. With an electric motor/generator, I don’t even know how easy it would be to push a Tesla.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Not just a proprietary port, but a proprietary RATE....if you tried to supercharge any other EV with a tesla charger, their batteries would explode with that much current.

BillArnett

Not just a proprietary port, but a proprietary RATE....if you tried to supercharge any other EV with a tesla charger, their batteries would explode with that much current.

Some of the upcoming EVs from the Germans will allow an even higher power charger.