If you think saving the planet is nonsense then I wish you would move to another one

Should Bill Arnett shut up and leave?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
You do realize that these charging stations are on the public power grid? You do realize that the majority of the power grid is coal fired, even though solar and wind suppy is increasing (at an extremely high cost). So your Tesla is in fact likely to be coal powered when not plugged into your home solar farm. You must have a big yard. How do you charge over night by the way, when your meter is drawing power not feeding power. Hmmm.

Climate change is a reality. That is why half of North America is not under a mile of ice or hundreds of feet of water. Deserts were once swamps. Must have been all the cars the dinosaurs were driving. How about the output of just one major volcanic eruption compared to all the man made emissions.

Do I believe we should do better, yes. But are we causing the end of the world, not hardly. Others have already pointed out the climate change from before modern society with previous ice ages (plural) and flood/swamp events from the warmer periods in between, but that is ignored in climate change media debates in the liberal news. Why, it doesn’t support the hypothesis and conclusions.

There is a reason Al Gore changed the story from global warming to climate change. It was too easy to poke holes in. Have you seen his place? He practices what he preaches you know. As hot as summers are now, and as cold as winter is (even as bad as this winter), it was both hotter and colder when I was a kid. The weather runs in cycles. This is well established.

I have fought and bled for your right to freedom of speech and to believe what you want, but I don’t have to sit quietly by and listen without responding. I am fairly well educated but also not the smartest in the room. But if AOC or Bernie are who you believe to be your saviors, and wish to follow their lead, then go out and by multiple houses and take private planes everywhere when you preach about climate change. But if you take it seriously, then start walking or riding bikes EVERYWHERE you go and stop eating beans.

IMG_3315.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

BillArnett

You do realize that these charging stations are on the public power grid? You do realize that the majority of the power grid is coal fired, even though solar and wind suppy is increasing (at an extremely high cost). So your Tesla is in fact likely to be coal powered ...

That used to be true but the use of coal has declined in recent years. It’s a little hard to read but coal amounts to 34% of electric generation:

F87290FB-68D5-400B-A02D-39D400D5B7CE.png

And the cost of solar and wind has come way down, too. They’re both about the same as gas now and considerably cheaper than coal:

69926517-9337-4962-AFEA-5D737DB96156.jpg

Piginajeep

That used to be true but the use of coal has declined in recent years. It’s a little hard to read but coal amounts to 34% of electric generation:

View attachment 9395

And the cost of solar and wind has come way down, too. They’re both about the same as gas now and considerably cheaper than coal:

View attachment 9396

Umm, how much fuel does that train burn to move that wind mill to the yard? How much fuel does the semi burn to haul one part at a time to the site? How much fuel does the crane burn during assembly of the wind mill? How much fuel does all the service trucks use to build and then maintain it?

2019 MP
2012 JK8
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

BillArnett

Ah, but then who is the arbiter of “the truth”?? As we’ve seen recently right here, that’s not so simple.

I am. If you are full of shit, I’ll tell you. If not, I won’t. That’s pretty simple in my book. [emoji23]

You’re entirely within your rights to tell me that I’m full of shit. And I can do the same. But that doesn’t get us any closer to “the truth”, does it? It really isn’t simple at all.

BillArnett

Our founding fathers had a pretty good idea of it: "We hold these TRUTHS to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness....."

Right. But most people would agree that, sadly, once again, but of necessity, there are limitations to that general principle. One famous example is: “your right to swing your fist stops at my nose” :) In the 240 years since those words were written the Supreme Court has written millions more words in an effort to better define just what our rights and their limitations are. The debate continues.

Since I already know where you're going with this, a 70% weather-changing tree-hugger tax would definitely infringe upon my right to life, liberty, and my pursuit of happiness.

So you pay your 70% tax, I pay nothing, and we leave each other the fuck alone and we all get to enjoy these self-evident TRUTHS. :beer:

Actually, that’s not where I was going. I’m just speaking in general about when it’s appropiate to ban someone from a forum or otherwise censor his speach.

But for the record, unless your income is $1,000,000 or more per year none of the tax ideas that have been floating around recently would apply to you.

BillArnett

Umm, how much fuel does that train burn to move that wind mill to the yard? How much fuel does the semi burn to haul one part at a time to the site? How much fuel does the crane burn during assembly of the wind mill? How much fuel does all the service trucks use to build and then maintain it?

2019 MP
2012 JK8
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

Obviously, I don’t have a quantitative answer for all that. I believe those costs were factored into the study whose results I posted above (that’s what “Levelized cost” means). And my guess is that the things you mentioned are tiny compared to the costs of moving coal and oil around.

ddays v2

Cool video - really. It's amazing what those can do ON THE ROAD. And when you got to the trail that Tesla did what? We have acknowledged the potential benefits of an electric vehicle - but so far after 26 pages and 251 posts, you haven't given any reasonable arguement that these are ready for use in an offroad application now. We're not even close.

And posting that coal production is down is of course laughable. The previous administrations helped take care of that. :thumb:

Last edited:

BillArnett

Cool video - really. It's amazing what those can do ON THE ROAD. And when you got to the trail that Tesla did what? We have acknowledged the potential benefits of an electric vehicle - but so far after 26 pages and 251 posts, you haven't given any reasonable arguement that these are ready for use in an offroad application now. We're not even close.

And posting that coal production is down is of course laughable. The previous administrations helped take care of that. :thumb:

I’ve never claimed that there is an off-road capable electric vehicle today. But it’s looking like Bollinger and Rivian may have ones in the future. If you look at the specs for those (which are admittedly vaporware at this point) I think you’ll actually be impressed. The Bollinger has a range problem and the Rivian is probably going to be way expensive but it’s a start. So no, we’re not “close”. But the goal is in sight.

Coal has been in trouble for a long time. Mostly because the cost of natural gas came down. Obama’s rules just codified what was going to happen anyway. Trump’s reversal of those rules will also have little effect.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Obviously, I don’t have a quantitative answer for all that. I believe those costs were factored into the study whose results I posted above (that’s what “Levelized cost” means). And my guess is that the things you mentioned are tiny compared to the costs of moving coal and oil around.

You believe. That is a reoccurring theme here. You believe. You don’t know and it’s not fact.

sharkey

Word Ninja
You’re entirely within your rights to tell me that I’m full of shit. And I can do the same. But that doesn’t get us any closer to “the truth”, does it? It really isn’t simple at all.

Of course it does, and it is quite simple. "Truth" is, for the most part, illusory. All day long, every day, we each come up with our own "truths" and we base them on the "facts" we are willing to accept as legitimate. Or, is it that we come up with "facts" based on the "truths" that we are willing to accept as legitimate? It's circular either way.