If you think saving the planet is nonsense then I wish you would move to another one

Should Bill Arnett shut up and leave?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

BillArnett

LOL! Because there's nothing harmful about batteries or where the electricity comes from to charge them up. :thumb:

Nope, it's nothing like what you're purposefully choosing to destroying the planet in now and one mile at a time.

The solar panels on my roof generate more energy than I use to run my house AND my Tesla.

I’m actually curious what you think of the Rivian. Of course, it’s just vapor-ware right now (they promise first deliveries in 2020) but from the specs it looks like it might be pretty good for a lot of kinds of off-roading, just not rock-crawling. And with 750 hp and 400 mile range it’s a beast.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, there’s no doubt that “the planet” will continue to exist. And not much doubt that some life will manage to survive, too. As evidenced by the big extinction events in the past as you point out. I suspect the human race will actually manage to survive, too. But it will be VERY painful and expensive. We have the ability to shape the future; doing nothing is a choice whose consequences are not yet well understood by the general public. Please check out this:

https://www.amazon.com/Uninhabitabl...68361&s=gateway&sprefix=Uninha,aps,199&sr=8-1

You'll forgive me for not being interested in reviewing the agenda driven propaganda you've provided a link to as if it were some kind of gospel. You want to compel me to have faith in your belief system, LEAD BY EXAMPLE!! That would at least allow me to have some respect for you.

It really is far worse than you think. The good news is that it’s not hopeless. It’s just expensive. My back-of-the-envelope calculation says it will cost something like 2 or 3% of GDP for the next couple of decades. Compare that to 40% of GDP that we spent to fight World War II. It’s doable. But the longer we wait the more it will cost.

No, that is what you are choosing to have faith in. Fortunately, we live in America, a country where the Pilgrims came to escape religious persecution and our constitution allows you to believe in whatever the hell you want. Me, I love science and feel confident that it can find solutions to things we aren't even thinking about yet. A thousand years ago, nobody was thinking about nuclear power but it exists today. A hundred years ago, nobody was thinking about an iPhone but here I am, looking at messages on mine now. You want to MAKE THE PLANET GREAT AGAIN? I can tell you that there are companies out there today who are already well into developing means to capture carbon. Who knows, maybe they'll be able to provide what you're wanting. But I will say, change is a double edge sword - what you might think of as a fix or a save, may in fact lead to our peril. Who knows - time will tell.

JTCO

Meme King
The solar panels on my roof generate more energy than I use to run my house AND my Tesla.

Thank you for doing your part to save the rest of us. I'm about to put some fossil fuel in my deep fryer. I can send you some fish and chips if you'd like.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

I’m actually curious what you think of the Rivian. Of course, it’s just vapor-ware right now (they promise first deliveries in 2020) but from the specs it looks like it might be pretty good for a lot of kinds of off-roading, just not rock-crawling. And with 750 hp and 400 mile range it’s a beast.

So the solar panels and tesla are carbon offsets to the Wrangler. Got it. As for Rivian, it will be bankrupt before they sell a single unit.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

What did these tires do to your mileage?
IMG_3287.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

And every time you get in your Jeep with it's MPG robbing 37x13.50's, you kill the planet one mile at a time.

Unlike you, I get out and enjoy our planet in places where most people could never hope to visit and in most cases, would never bother to. It's like going back in time and seeing the world for what it was like well before there were self-righteous people telling me how I should live my life. Out there, if things go wrong - you know, because change happens, the last thing I'd want to deal with is something that's anywhere near as complicated as that POS. The more plumbing there is, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

JTCO

Meme King
Unlike you, I get out and enjoy our planet in places where most people could never hope to visit and in most cases, would never bother to. It's like going back in time and seeing the world for what it was like well before there were self-righteous people telling me how I should live my life.

Fucking BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly why I even bought a Jeep. To get me as far the fuck away as I could from people who want to tell me what the fuck to do. We are blessed to live in a country that cherishes that freedom and anyone who wants to change that, go fuck yourself and get the fuck out of my country. :usa: :usa-flag:

BillArnett

You'll forgive me for not being interested in reviewing the agenda driven propaganda you've provided a link to as if it were some kind of gospel. You want to compel me to have faith in your belief system, LEAD BY EXAMPLE!! That would at least allow me to have some respect for you.

No, that is what you are choosing to have faith in. Fortunately, we live in America, a country where the Pilgrims came to escape religious persecution and our constitution allows you to believe in whatever the hell you want. Me, I love science and feel confident that it can find solutions to things we aren't even thinking about yet. A thousand years ago, nobody was thinking about nuclear power but it exists today. A hundred years ago, nobody was thinking about an iPhone but here I am, look at messages on mine now. You like the status quo - I can tell you that there are companies out there today who are already well into developing means to capture carbon. Who knows, maybe they'll be able to provide what you're wanting. But I will say, change is a double edge sword - what you might think of as a fix or a save may in fact lead to our peril. Who knows - time will tell.

The book I referenced is not gospel. It’s one man’s summary of the available evidence. I only point to it as an accessible source of information. Read it, evaluate his arguments and if you disagree, fine. But don’t dismiss it out of hand just because a Tesla owner recommends it.

Or you could read

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPCC_Fifth_Assessment_Report

And perhaps some of the references therein. But don’t trust everything you read on the Internet :)

Fortunately, we live in America where not only can you believe what you want but you’re free to express those opinions and debate them with others. And the result of that debate will (theoretically) determine the course of public policy.

Science and technology are indeed likely to come up with future wonders we cannot yet imagine. But that’s not a good reason to delay action on climate change now. For two reasons. First, we already have all the tech we need to solve the problem. What is lacking is the political will to employ it. Second, even if some future tech might solve the problem more easily there just isn’t enough time to wait for that. That argument was credible back when climate change was first identified as a serious problem but it’s too late now. The effects of climate change are already apparent and becoming increasingly expensive. And the rate of change is accelerating. Another decade of inaction will be even more expensive.

Carbon capture is indeed part of the solution. We need to continue working on that as fast as is reasonable. But in the meanwhile, we should stop making the problem worse.

And yes, there will undoubtely be unanticipated side effects of anything we do. But again, we have to act now based on the information we have now. It’s virtually certain that continued increases in CO2 will be disastrous. I’ll take my chances that a lot more solar panels and windmills will be less damaging.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The book I referenced is not gospel. It’s one man’s summary of the available evidence. I only point to it as an accessible source of information. Read it, evaluate his arguments and if you disagree, fine. But don’t dismiss it out of hand just because a Tesla owner recommends it.

Or you could read

And perhaps some of the references therein. But don’t trust everything you read on the Internet :)

Fortunately, we live in America where not only can you believe what you want but you’re free to express those opinions and debate them with others. And the result of that debate will (theoretically) determine the course of public policy.

Science and technology are indeed likely to come up with future wonders we cannot yet imagine. But that’s not a good reason to delay action on climate change now. For two reasons. First, we already have all the tech we need to solve the problem. What is lacking is the political will to employ it. Second, even if some future tech might solve the problem more easily there just isn’t enough time to wait for that. That argument was credible back when climate change was first identified as a serious problem but it’s too late now. The effects of climate change are already apparent and becoming increasingly expensive. And the rate of change is accelerating. Another decade of inaction will be even more expensive.

Carbon capture is indeed part of the solution. We need to continue working on that as fast as is reasonable. But in the meanwhile, we should stop making the problem worse.

And yes, there will undoubtely be unanticipated side effects of anything we do. But again, we have to act now based on the information we have now. It’s virtually certain that continued increases in CO2 will be disastrous. I’ll take my chances that a lot more solar panels and windmills will be less damaging.

https://youtu.be/5vjFKtY-B8Y

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Or you could read

That you're pointing me to read this shit is nothing short of someone telling me to read the bible or the koran. AGAIN, you want to compel me to listen to you? LEAD BY EXAMPLE! Show me how much faith you have in your religion and if nothing else, I would at least have some respect for you. That you won't, that you make excuses and perch yourself up on some kind of pedestal stroking your ego for being so enlightened... truthfully, you just make me want to puke.

LOL!! Not sure how you have a debate when people like you are convinced the world is coming to an end in 12 years and that people who challenge that idea are the cause of it.

And to be clear, that's just your opinion and based on whatever worst case models you've chosen to believe. Apparently, you've never heard of the ice age. For thousands of years, that would have been what scientists considered "normal".