Shock body/fluid question....

NFRs2000NYC

Interested in hearing some opinions....if I was looking for a shock that is better than OEM, can deal with 37s slamming potholes, maybe coming down from whoops, AND deal with endless corrugations, what is better, a 3" body shock, or a 2.5" body with remote reservoirs? Maybe for argument sake, take the Mopar jeep lift shocks, which are 3.0s, vs the fox 2.5 with remotes. Thanks for any opinions and insight. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Remote reservoir. That's specifically what they were designed to do - move the IFP out of the shock body and into a remote location. This give the valve more oil to move through, dissipate heat better and still have the pressure needed to prevent cavitation.

NFRs2000NYC

Remote reservoir. That's specifically what they were designed to do - move the IFP out of the shock body and into a remote location. This give the valve more oil to move through, dissipate heat better and still have the pressure needed to prevent cavitation.

Would be interesting if someone designed a system that uses an oil cooler sized radiator rather than remote reservoirs with fluit plumbed into it (I guess it would have to have 4 internal chambers to keep it separate) and use that to cool the fluid.

13_gecko_rubi

Pretty sure they ran those on the gladiator at KOH.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
I saw a bunch of the fox Jeep JLs with those fancy reservoirs at KOH. They are supposed to be coming out any time now. They are 3" IBP shocks. Sure they won't be cheap.

The Gladiator just had "normal" fox 2.5" shocks. They were actually 2.5" coilover shocks without the coils on them since you cannot run coilovers in stock class. The threaded bodies were the dead giveaway. I think they had to do that because they were so dang long and fox doesn't make a 2.5" non ibp shock yet except for the ones in the MOPAR lift kit. Those are coming out soon too.

Sent via....

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I saw a bunch of the fox Jeep JLs with those fancy reservoirs at KOH. They are supposed to be coming out any time now. They are 3" IBP shocks. Sure they won't be cheap.

The Gladiator just had "normal" fox 2.5" shocks. They were actually 2.5" coilover shocks without the coils on them since you cannot run coilovers in stock class. The threaded bodies were the dead giveaway. I think they had to do that because they were so dang long and fox doesn't make a 2.5" non ibp shock yet except for the ones in the MOPAR lift kit. Those are coming out soon too.

Sent via....

It was the fox booth where I saw these no that I think about it more. They had that finned reservoir thing mounted up near the bumper. That would get destroyed!

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app