Rock Krawler any good?

Piginajeep

The east coast is so bad, people willingly move to California to get away from it. Think about that for a minute.

2019 MP
2012 JK8
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

ubbb69

Both the east and west coast are a waste! ;0) we have it all in the middle. I have been running RK and agree about stiff on road. The coils shine off road though. The joints I am on the fence about and will with hold judgement till further time. My front lowers blew within 3000mi when I took them apart I could tell they were not put together correctly. They took care of it after a bit of issues with sending the wrong product. I do like the ride of the kit but it is stiffer then stock. Soon as I can I am going coilover just have to recoup from doctor bills. Cancer is expensive.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Both the east and west coast are a waste! ;0) we have it all in the middle. I have been running RK and agree about stiff on road. The coils shine off road though. The joints I am on the fence about and will with hold judgement till further time. My front lowers blew within 3000mi when I took them apart I could tell they were not put together correctly. They took care of it after a bit of issues with sending the wrong product. I do like the ride of the kit but it is stiffer then stock. Soon as I can I am going coilover just have to recoup from doctor bills. Cancer is expensive.

Really? I don’t notice them shine offroad and I have been running them for like 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Really? I don’t notice them shine offroad and I have been running them for like 4 years.

They are def stiff. I helped my buddy install and since hes been blowing me up on what shocks to get to combat the harsh ride with stock tires. I even addressed it on the other forum and the rK rep kinda tap danced around it... so yea their spring rates are a bit much. Everyone gets pissy around spring bow but to get a coil thats both soft and straight at ride height in a jl is very tricky.

Kaseym

Banned
The problem with most flex joints usually have to do with suspension geometry. Only time any have lasted for me was on a new build not using factory geometry setup. Unfortunately factory setups are there for ride quality and not off-road quality causing binding and unnecessary force on the joints that make them fail sooner than later. I was running evo double throw down front and rear on my jk and rebuilding Johnny joints every month. I ran them on a yj build about 10 years ago that I wouldn’t say had the correct geometry but it was definitely better than you get from stock location of arms. I only remember rebuilding them 1 time. I CANNOT speak for anything other than a Johnny joint from Currie, an old style jimmy joint from summit machine or a heim joint.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
The problem with most flex joints usually have to do with suspension geometry. Only time any have lasted for me was on a new build not using factory geometry setup. Unfortunately factory setups are there for ride quality and not off-road quality causing binding and unnecessary force on the joints that make them fail sooner than later. I was running evo double throw down front and rear on my jk and rebuilding Johnny joints every month. I ran them on a yj build about 10 years ago that I wouldn’t say had the correct geometry but it was definitely better than you get from stock location of arms. I only remember rebuilding them 1 time. I CANNOT speak for anything other than a Johnny joint from Currie, an old style jimmy joint from summit machine or a heim joint.

You were rebuilding Johnny joints every month? Yeah, that didn’t happen. Bullshit.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Kaseym

Banned
First I've heard of something like that. I've had no issues with mine.

Don’t get me wrong. I am in NO way saying it was an issue. Maybe I’m a complete dumbass and don’t know how to rebuild a Johnny joint. I am stating MY experience with Johnny joints on numerous occasions. Best joint on the market in my opinion. Everything has its limits. The jk also had a 426 hemi and 42” pit bulls with my right foot.

Don’t get me wrong. I am in NO way saying it was an issue. Maybe I’m a complete dumbass and don’t know how to rebuild a Johnny joint. I am stating MY experience with Johnny joints on numerous occasions. Best joint on the market in my opinion. Everything has its limits. The jk also had a 426 hemi and 42” pit bulls with my right foot.
Ill get torched for this but metal cloak armes were pretty solid imo...0

ubbb69

Special 2016 jl nice. ;0) they work amazingly well on the jl. Guy a run with runs evo on his jl and neither of us have any issues off-road. His rides softer on road but that makes me uncomfortable, he is heavier also as I run with no spare, rear bumper, or muffler.

JTCO

Meme King

Yeah, that may be a contributing factor.

Ill get torched for this but metal cloak armes were pretty solid imo...0

I'm happy to say that I've seen enough evidence of poor quality of metalcloak that I've never had the displeasure of spending money on them. But glad to hear that you got a good set.

I figured out really quick by just reading people get torched on here for damn near anything lol

Nah. We all have our levels of opinions, but I tell you what, I've been around these guys here long enough to find good solid information even if it hurts someone's feelings. Jeeps aren't the cheapest hobby and I'd rather hear the hard truth prior to spending my money. Maybe that's just me.

Piginajeep

I’m not going to call you a dumbass, but you are doing something wrong. I’ve never had to replace mine on coil overs. I’m not easy on it either.

All my time working at EVO MFG, we had one that went bad immediately. The cause was from the snap ring not being seated correctly.

Mel rarely had to change his on EVO1.

2019 MP
2012 JK8
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

Kaseym

Banned
I’m not going to call you a dumbass, but you are doing something wrong. I’ve never had to replace mine on coil overs. I’m not easy on it either.

All my time working at EVO MFG, we had one that went bad immediately. The cause was from the snap ring not being seated correctly.

2019 MP
2012 JK8
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

Lol ok thanks for the info!

Kaseym

Banned

2019 MP
2012 JK8
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

And just so ya know. Rebuilding a Johnny joint is the equivalent of tying my shoes. It takes me less than 2 minutes to rebuild one start to finish. Been doing it for 15 plus years. Did you see the part about the 426 hemi and 42’s? Yes that’s a big factor. I never said it was because of “evo’s” suspension. I’m super happy for Mel never having any issues! That statement alone got my panties wet. 🤦*♂️