Rock Krawler any good?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You'll find that people in the east coast tend to be fans of Rock Krawler. They make decent stuff but their joints are on the small side or at least compared to something like Currie Johnny Joints. Ride quality is 100% subjective and for me, their coils tend to ride on the firm side. Of course, that's just my subjective opinion and really, some people like it that way.

Rubiman_JL

You'll find that people in the east coast tend to be fans of Rock Krawler. They make decent stuff but their joints are on the small side or at least compared to something like Currie Johnny Joints. Ride quality is 100% subjective and for me, their coils tend to ride on the firm side. Of course, that's just my subjective opinion and really, some people like it that way.

You are the guru. Looking for a good 3.5” that rides well on road and womps hard off-road.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

Damn east coasters.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You are the guru. Looking for a good 3.5” that rides well on road and womps hard off-road.

Truth be told, at this lift height, the only kits I have any personal experience with are Rancho and EVO, or so far anyway and I wouldn't hesitate to run either. The Rancho kit is what I'm running now and it's certainly more affordable and the EVO kit includes Johnny Joints on their arms. That being said, I haven't heard of too many people having issues with their RK kit other than that the coils do ride on the firm side.

Damn east coasters.

:cheesy:

Maxdady

EVO 3.5" Enforcer Stage 4. It's worth every penny (to me)!
Ride is subjective, having said that, I LOVE the way it rides and handles.
Parts are super beefy, the control arm Johnny Joints are huge.
I am also running an RK adjustable front track bar, it seems to be a quality part as well.

Attachments

• 20190228_150006.jpg
    20190228_150006.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 210

Maxdady

How long have you been running the lift and are you concerned with the drive line rubbing yet?

Only a month or so. No rubbing yet but I haven't wheeled it on anything except dirt trails here in Dayton. Driveshafts are on my upgrade list though.
-H

ddays v2

Damn east coasters.

Haha, not all of us are fans and a couple of us have seen the light!

Really firm coils and they cost same/more than a comparable EVO kit. :thinking: Johnny Joints win the day

Rock krawler is great i was just in there today they fab some great stuff all good quality heavy duty greasable fittings. Super friendly their race buggy could take a bomb blast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddays v2

Here's one of the problems with RK. This pic is from another members Jeep. This shows the RK progressive springs at rest. What good is the progressive part while it's fully compressed while sitting still? The coils are touching each other and are basically a solid spring in that area. :thinking:

IMG_3076.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's one of the problems with RK. This pic is from another members Jeep. This shows the RK progressive springs at rest. What good is the progressive part while it's fully compressed while sitting still? The coils are touching each other and are basically a solid spring in that area. :thinking:

LOL!! Essentially, it's a single rate coil. Companies like MetalCloak will tell you that the solid portion is there so that your coil won't unseat at a full flex. :crazyeyes:

LOL!! Essentially, it's a single rate coil. Companies like MetalCloak will tell you that the solid portion is there so that your coil won't unseat at a full flex. :crazyeyes:

Another sales pitch I've heard is it's meant to be this way because when at speed it's stored potential energy that makes for a smoother ride on initial coil rebound. That being said the dual rate springs on my jks lift are the standard springs (they make a heavy duty spring for car campers...I mean overlanders) and they ride a little bit stiffer than stock. I'm seriously considering the 3.5 inch plush ride Evo springs as long as they are a true 3.5 and not taller.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Another sales pitch I've heard is it's meant to be this way because when at speed it's stored potential energy that makes for a smoother ride on initial coil rebound. That being said the dual rate springs on my jks lift are the standard springs (they make a heavy duty spring for car campers...I mean overlanders) and they ride a little bit stiffer than stock. I'm seriously considering the 3.5 inch plush ride Evo springs as long as they are a true 3.5 and not taller.

LOL! Sounds like an attempt to make a mistake sound like they did it on purpose. :crazyeyes:

Off topic but are the rubicon and sport rear fenders the same. Only the front are different? Am I correct or am I wrong?

The rears are slightly taller too.