Rear track bar bracket sheared off(axle side)

JTCO

Meme King
Hi all,

New to the forum. I've had this 2018 Rubicon JLU for two months now. It has 8 adjustable control arms, rancho 2" lift, 37's on bead locks, and an adjustable front track bar. I've only wheeled a few times and my rear track bar bracket sheared off!

Has anybody had similar experiences?

That's fucking weird. Did you do the install yourself? Any chance the track bar wasn't fully torqued after install. Seems like a lot of force to tear it on both the side and the top.

Whhood

I honestly can’t make sense of the pictures. There should be steel between that bushing and the bolt head. I can’t figure out how it was mounted to begin with. It should be sandwiched so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
I honestly can’t make sense of the pictures. There should be steel between that bushing and the bolt head. I can’t figure out how it was mounted to begin with. It should be sandwiched so to speak.

I think it was just re-fastened like that to get him down the road again after the bracket broke. Like you, I would imagine even if the bracket broke, the outward side should still be secured in place by the bolt.

Ed4

Yes I did the install myself but used all the correct torque specs.

I had to refasten the track bar to get me home. Which is why the position looks weird in the pictures. This happened after 2,100 miles!

Now I'm fighting with jeep to cover it.

Whhood

The vertical weld appears to be shallow or cold (hard to tell from that angle). It’s been separated for a while with the rust and the top horizontal (clean) piece looks like metal fatigue more than one straight force ripping it off.

JTCO

Meme King
Yes I did the install myself but used all the correct torque specs.

I had to refasten the track bar to get me home. Which is why the position looks weird in the pictures. This happened after 2,100 miles!

Now I'm fighting with jeep to cover it.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I screwed something up.

Go to 19:38 in this video to see how Eddie installed his. It may be a different kit than yours but it's still a Rancho kit and the factory bracket is still there in the video:

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
The good thing is, it would be pretty easy to weld another piece back on and make it stronger. It could be repaired and then install the Evo bracket over top even.

Yep. That's what I would do. I bet if Jeep warranties it, they'll want to install an entire new axle.

Ed4

Thanks for the advice!

Yes, IF they warranty it they will replace the whole axle.

I'm leaning towards aftermarket and making it stronger. Question is $$?