JL JOURNAL : The Inner Workings - JL Wrangler Gears vs Dynatrac ProRock 44

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As we've shown in previous episodes of the JL JOURNAL, improvements have definitely been made to the front axle housings that comes on the all new Jeep JL Wrangler. Granted, they are nowhere near what you'll find on a Dynatrac ProRock 44 but there's no denying that do come with beefier end forgings or at least, compared to what came on the JK Wrangler, have thicker brackets and even have slightly larger diameter tubes. But, what about what's inside? In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, Jim McGean, the owner of Dynatrac will show you what the Dana M186 and M210 gears, bearings and other important internal components look like compared to what you'll find in a ProRock 44. We hope you find the information in our video to be useful.

This is the 3rd in a series of JL JOURNAL's that we've made to help educate people about JL Wrangler axles and why you might want to consider a Dynatrac ProRock 44. We hope that you'll find them to be informative. Please check back soon for our next installment.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

JTCO

Meme King
Informative video. Glad to see Jim is still building the ProRock with the tapered roller bearings. Can't believe the manufacturer put in those stupid little roller bearings on the factory axles. I guess in about 3-4 years that I'll start seeing tons of pinion bearing failures on the factory axles.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Informative video. Glad to see Jim is still building the ProRock with the tapered roller bearings. Can't believe the manufacturer put in those stupid little roller bearings on the factory axles. I guess in about 3-4 years that I'll start seeing tons of pinion bearing failures on the factory axles.

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never seen pinion ball bearings in plastic cassettes like that before. They may provide less drag and offer slightly better fuel efficiency but they look and felt cheap.

JTCO

Meme King
I'm embarrassed to say that I've never seen pinion ball bearings in plastic cassettes like that before. They may provide less drag and offer slightly better fuel efficiency but they look and felt cheap.

I've seen them from time to time but NEVER in a differential. And the ones I've seen fail is always due to the plastic cage breaking or wearing down. They belong in kid's toys, not in vehicle powertrains.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen them from time to time but NEVER in a differential. And the ones I've seen fail is always due to the plastic cage breaking or wearing down. They belong in kid's toys, not in vehicle powertrains.

LOL - Exactly! I've seen them in other applications but never in a differential like this. It was actually quite surprising to me. Because of this series, I've had a number of people tell me about how a factory axle is still better for one reason or another or how you could just sleeve or truss one to make it better. But really, there are so many reasons why a ProRock 44 is actually better and all we hope to do is share some of what we've learned. In the end, people can decide for themselves what is best for them :)

Jdofmemi

When you picked up that cheesy plastic lines bearing, I was shocked.

More proof of the crap we get to deal with since the government decided to "help" us out with all the rules.

Crap designed for the last minute bit of economy don't belong on something we want to rely on to go to the ends of civilization, and hope to return unscathed.

I'm fine with economy cars, just don't force it where it don't belong.

Danny

Realistically, I could wheel the 186 mm/200 mm combo till they break. My budgeted goal is the xd60/80 combo. I wonder what the max tire size I could go with for the factory axles? I have two Jl's I am working on, so I am thinking the other stock JL wheel tire setup. Since I can only do one at a time. Thanks for the videos Eddie. Really helpful.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Jeeeep

so I'm thinking resale value on stock JL may not be so great after seeing those cheap-ass plastic caged bearings.

One thing I've learned over the years, those plastic cages don't holdup well to heating and cooling cycles.

Hopefully the plastic material they are using has improved and can stand more pressure and heating cycles otherwise I think WJCO is correct that there will be more failures/repairs due to the plastic cages failing.

Do you know if they use the same plastic cages dual bearing setup in the rear axle?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When you picked up that cheesy plastic lines bearing, I was shocked.

More proof of the crap we get to deal with since the government decided to "help" us out with all the rules.

Crap designed for the last minute bit of economy don't belong on something we want to rely on to go to the ends of civilization, and hope to return unscathed.

I'm fine with economy cars, just don't force it where it don't belong.

It really was a surprise to see that thing and frustrating as well. I'm glad that there companies like Dynatrac offering better solutions but it's kind of a bummer that anyone would need them.

Another great video, very informative, thanks[emoji106][emoji106]

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Thanks, more good info there. It’s unfortunate that sacrifices have to be made to conform to mpg standards.

It really is unfortunate but I have a feeling it's only gonna get worse.

Realistically, I could wheel the 186 mm/200 mm combo till they break. My budgeted goal is the xd60/80 combo. I wonder what the max tire size I could go with for the factory axles? I have two Jl's I am working on, so I am thinking the other stock JL wheel tire setup. Since I can only do one at a time. Thanks for the videos Eddie. Really helpful.

With a Sport or Sahara, I personally would have a hard time running anything bigger than a set of 35's or for how I like to use my Jeeps. I'm sure most could get away with 37's.

so I'm thinking resale value on stock JL may not be so great after seeing those cheap-ass plastic caged bearings.

One thing I've learned over the years, those plastic cages don't holdup well to heating and cooling cycles.

Hopefully the plastic material they are using has improved and can stand more pressure and heating cycles otherwise I think WJCO is correct that there will be more failures/repairs due to the plastic cages failing.

Do you know if they use the same plastic cages dual bearing setup in the rear axle?

Yes, they used them front and rear.

Jeeeep

It really was a surprise to see that thing and frustrating as well. I'm glad that there companies like Dynatrac offering better solutions but it's kind of a bummer that anyone would need them.

Yes, they used them front and rear.

Do you know if they can be replaced with tapered bearings?

Seems FCA could've offered something better in the Rubicon package for the cost...disappointed to see that style bearing being used.

Dynatrac for the longevity win :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Seems FCA could've offered something better in the Rubicon package for the cost...disappointed to see that style bearing being used.

Dynatrac for the longevity win :thumb:

I don't think so. You have to use their master install kits being that the bearings are not the same front to back. I should also note, the carrier bearings are not the same left to right either. The whole differential is much more complicated than ever before.

JTCO

Meme King

I was wondering the same thing.

I don't think so. You have to use their master install kits being that the bearings are not the same front to back. I should also note, the carrier bearings are not the same left to right either. The whole differential is much more complicated than ever before.

Love it when someone just has to go and fuck with something that doesn't need to be fucked with. Decades of symmetrical carrier bearings obviously weren't good enough for some self-entitled asshole.

Jeeeep

well shit...

HiCenterd

The good news is that when the plastic melts it'll help lubricate the shrapnel on the way out... Great forward thinking on FCA's part.
Eddie, you're comparing the Dana 30 to the PR44. What does the stock Rubicon 44 ring and pinion look like comparatively speaking?
Thanks for another great, informative video!

Sent from my moto x4 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The good news is that when the plastic melts it'll help lubricate the shrapnel on the way out... Great forward thinking on FCA's part.
Eddie, you're comparing the Dana 30 to the PR44. What does the stock Rubicon 44 ring and pinion look like comparatively speaking?
Thanks for another great, informative video!

Sorry, I suppose we should have showed the M210 as well but it's basically the same thing as Dana 44. The ring gear is actually slightly smaller in diameter but it is thicker. That being said, the pinion bearings are just like what you see on the M186 in that it has ball bearings in a plastic cage on one end. Also, the carrier bearings are different in size left to right. In an upcoming video, you'll get to see what the rear M220 looks like and you'll see what I'm talking about.

HiCenterd

Sorry, I suppose we should have showed the M210 as well but it's basically the same thing as Dana 44. The ring gear is actually slightly smaller in diameter but it is thicker. That being said, the pinion bearings are just like what you see on the M186 in that it has ball bearings in a plastic cage on one end. Also, the carrier bearings are different in size left to right. In an upcoming video, you'll get to see what the rear M220 looks like and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Looking forward to it and learning a lot. Thanks!

Sent from my moto x4 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app