JL JOURNAL : The Inner Workings - JL Wrangler Gears vs Dynatrac ProRock 44

RMC2

I want to say this is good to know info, but in reality it just saddens me instead.

Instead of improving on the JK axles, some parts of the JL axles feel they went far backwards. Good Idea Fairies for the win, NOT.

13_gecko_rubi

I want to say this is good to know info, but in reality it just saddens me instead.

Instead of improving on the JK axles, some parts of the JL axles feel they went far backwards. Good Idea Fairies for the win, NOT.
The areas that could be improved were for sure. But there are many things on the JL that had to be done due to the new EPA rules. Do them or don't have a Wrangler at all. Sucks when the government doesn't care what people want, they just want to set regulations that require things customers don't want. I'll stop before I go into my full on rant.

Sent via....

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
The areas that could be improved were for sure. But there are many things on the JL that had to be done due to the new EPA rules. Do them or don't have a Wrangler at all. Sucks when the government doesn't care what people want, they just want to set regulations that require things customers don't want. I'll stop before I go into my full on rant.

Sent via....

Isn’t that the definition of government - doing what the people DON’T want? Lol

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

DavidDJL69

If people think the government cares at all about representing “we the people” or cares about what “we the people” want, then I refer back to what one of the Vietnam vets in Ken Burns’ Vietnam War video series said about the government: “It’s not that the government lies to us; it’s that they lie to us all the time.” Yes, the government, in theory, is supposed to serve the needs of “we the people.” Truth is, like most folks, they end up serving themselves as they tell us they truly care for us!

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Sent via....

We know how they’d come if you were in charge of it. Hemis and 60’s, right?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We have already had 5 2018 JL’s come through the dealership with rear axle pinion bearing failures with right around 10-15k miles. FCA warranties it with a new loaded housing.

What the hell?? Really?? Well that's not encouraging. Guess I might need to starting thinking about a rear upgrade now too. :rolleyes2:

JTCO

Meme King
We have already had 5 2018 JL’s come through the dealership with rear axle pinion bearing failures with right around 10-15k miles. FCA warranties it with a new loaded housing.

That blows. Do you recall if it's the outer ones or inner ones that failed? And if it happened to be that plastic-caged outer one, do you know if there is a cross-reference number to replace it with a tapered roller bearing and race instead of plastic?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That blows. Do you recall if it's the outer ones or inner ones that failed? And if it happened to be that plastic-caged outer one, do you know if there is a cross-reference number to replace it with a tapered roller bearing and race instead of plastic?

LOL!! This is something I'm looking into right now too. Still would be a pain to have to do though being that you'd essentially have to do an all new setup.

JTCO

Meme King
LOL!! This is something I'm looking into right now too. Still would be a pain to have to do though being that you'd essentially have to do an all new setup.

Yep. Entire rebuild. You'd have to have the correct ID of the bearing to press fit the pinion and the matching race would have to have the exact OD to press fit in the axle housing. And that would totally fuck up preload/backlash/pattern.

What a fucking joke just to keep the eco-terrorists happy. I'm sure AOC and BillArnett would approve of it though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. Entire rebuild. You'd have to have the correct ID of the bearing to press fit the pinion and the matching race would have to have the exact OD to press fit in the axle housing. And that would totally fuck up preload/backlash/pattern.

What a fucking joke just to keep the eco-terrorists happy. I'm sure AOC and BillArnett would approve of it though.

I would laugh if it weren't so annoying. :rolleyes2:

I should note that when we were getting our rear end regeared, the cage on one of the carrier bearing broke. There was just way too little room to work with and getting it completely off was a bitch. However, that was the easy part. The hard part was to locate a master install kit anywhere in the USA. We originally were just going to replace the bearing but couldn't find one with a matching part number and were reluctant to buy anything sight unseen. In other words, anyone who's wanting to regear is most likely gonna have the same problems we had and that's probably why we had such a hard time getting parts.

JTCO

Meme King
I should note that when we were getting our rear end regeared, the cage on one of the carrier bearing broke. There was just way too little room to work with and getting it completely off was a bitch.

Why did he pull the bearing off the carrier? Maybe I missed it but did you get a different locker in the rear too?

I should note that when we were getting our rear end regeared, the cage on one of the carrier bearing broke. There was just way too little room to work with and getting it completely off was a bitch. However, that was the easy part. The hard part was to locate a master install kit anywhere in the USA. We originally were just going to replace the bearing but couldn't find one with a matching part number and were reluctant to buy anything sight unseen. In other words, anyone who's wanting to regear is most likely gonna have the same problems we had and that's probably why we had such a hard time getting parts.

That really sucks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why did he pull the bearing off the carrier? Maybe I missed it but did you get a different locker in the rear too?

That really sucks.

Honestly, I'm not sure being that most of what we were filming was for the building of a ProRock 44. There was some discussion early on about going ARB both front and rear but we decided against it. Could be that the memo didn't make it all the way down the line.

Jdofmemi

View attachment 9374

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

That is not encouraging, but also not entirely surprising after seeing the plastic POS masquerading as a pinion bearing.

Now I have to wonder if FCA will still warrantee it after 37s go on???