JL JOURNAL : Which Would You Want - JL Wrangler Axle Tubes vs Dynatrac ProRock 44

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome. Looking forward to their/your findings on the health of the axle, and hopefully you'll chime in at some point with the info, especially if everything was fine. :thumb:

You bet. Again, giving it a solid visual inspection, the axle looked to be in good shape and that's a big improvement over what we were seeing with the JK at this same point and time.

Oh and one more question I wanted to ask, didn't think it warranted its own thread....is the OEM trackbar hollow?

Yes, the factory track bar and drag link are hollow. Although they look to be bigger, they're actually surprisingly light in terms of weight.

NFRs2000NYC

You bet. Again, giving it a solid visual inspection, the axle looked to be in good shape and that's a big improvement over what we were seeing with the JK at this same point and time.

Yes, the factory track bar and drag link are hollow. Although they look to be bigger, they're actually surprisingly light in terms of weight.

Wow so it does seem that they sacrificed some strength in certain areas in the interests of weight....or it was a calculated move knowing owners will be replacing those parts. The JK trackbar at least was a solid piece of pig iron....wonder if this new hollowness is causing all the steering and factory installed deathwobbles in ultra low mileage JLs.....seems like they undersized those parts while giving the JL larger tires.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow so it does seem that they sacrificed some strength in certain areas in the interests of weight....or it was a calculated move knowing owners will be replacing those parts. The JK trackbar at least was a solid piece of pig iron....wonder if this new hollowness is causing all the steering and factory installed deathwobbles in ultra low mileage JLs.....seems like they undersized those parts while giving the JL larger tires.

So, what I can tell you is that when it's cold out, I do get a wobbling in the steering after hitting something like a pothole. A FAR CRY from death wobble but I know that there are lots of other people experiencing this as well - even bone stock. I just want to make sure it's clear that it is NOT death wobble but it isn't pleasant. That being said, I have been testing out other track bars without a steering stablizer installed and can tell you that the sensation is more pronounced with the factory track bar and considerably less with aftermarket ones. Also, we've been doing more checking and have since found that the tie-rod end on the drag link where it connects to the pitman arm has some vertical shifting. This is a clear sign of a worn joint and I'm sure it's contributing to what we're feeling. Needless to say, I can't say we're exactly thrilled with the factory track bar, drag link or the tie-rod ends that come on them. Of course, we're still running a factory track bar on Moby and was running both a track bar and drag link on Rubicat when we sold her.

NFRs2000NYC

Well, hopefully you find quality aftermarket units and can recommend some. From what I've looked at, seems Currie makes a quality product that's very beefy, but I don't have any first hand experience, so I'll await your reviews on em. Also got me thinking, since I'm waiting for the diesel, if the harsher "chatter" of the diesel will actually wear those weak OEM joints faster by constantly vibrating them.

CalSgt

Forgive me if this has already been answered but,

Does the stock tie rod, drag link etc fit on the PR44? My Synergy tie rod and stabilizer relocate bracket just showed up & made me think of this...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Forgive me if this has already been answered but,

Does the stock tie rod, drag link etc fit on the PR44? My Synergy tie rod and stabilizer relocate bracket just showed up & made me think of this...

It has not been covered and yes, the PR44 is designed to have the factory tie-rod, drag link and track bar installed on it.

Danny

Going back to weight, the Dana 44 rear is 140lbs./Dana 44 front is 160lbs.The rear Dana 60 is ruffly 280 lbs. the Dana 60 front is 305lbs. It really adds up. I wonder how heavy is the Dana80? How much will the vehicle’s characteristics change from a PR44/37’s versus PR Elite package and 40’s?IMG_0827.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app