2.5" vs 3.5" Lift on 2-Door and Rollover

VolCntry73

Hey everyone,

First let me say, I'm new to the wheeling scene. Last year I bought my first Jeep and LOVE it. Most fun and rewarding vehicle I have ever owned.

I'm looking to install a lift and 37's on my 2-Door Rubi in a few months, but I am going back and forth between a 2.5 and 3.5 inch lift. While the Jeep is currently my daily driver, I do plan to get it offroad this summer. I like both the looks and the available suspension travel with a 3.5 better, but I'm a little concerned that a 2.5 would be better for center of gravity. Or will the inch make that much of a difference? I do plan to add the fender mod that Rugged Ridge is releasing (that was on their SEMA build), so that should add some more clearance down the road as well. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the input!

justin mazzon

I plan to buy a 2 door JL this fall. On my JK I'm running a 3.5" lift and I'm very happy I went it. It just gives you that little bit of extra ground clearance. Haven't noticed any problems with stability. Glad to see there other 2 doors on the forum.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone,

First let me say, I'm new to the wheeling scene. Last year I bought my first Jeep and LOVE it. Most fun and rewarding vehicle I have ever owned.

I'm looking to install a lift and 37's on my 2-Door Rubi in a few months, but I am going back and forth between a 2.5 and 3.5 inch lift. While the Jeep is currently my daily driver, I do plan to get it offroad this summer. I like both the looks and the available suspension travel with a 3.5 better, but I'm a little concerned that a 2.5 would be better for center of gravity. Or will the inch make that much of a difference? I do plan to add the fender mod that Rugged Ridge is releasing (that was on their SEMA build), so that should add some more clearance down the road as well. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the input!

What you need to know is that MOST lift kits yield WAY MORE LIFT than what is advertised and this is especially true on 2-doors. In other words, a 3.5" lift my ultimately give you closer to 4.5" of lift or more. Hell, even on my 4-door Rubicon, I have seen this to be the case. With that said, yes, too much lift IS a concern but not just for your center of gravity. For one, your rear drive shaft will definitely need to be replaced sooner than later and that's even with a 2.5" lift. Ideally, you really want to run the largest tire possible and with the least amount of lift or at least, if you really plan on wheeling your Jeep.

VolCntry73

Thanks Justin and Eddie.

Eddie...yes, great points. Upgraded shafts on definitely on the list as well.

Thanks guys!

drhcobra

I have the dynatrac 2” on my 2-door and 35’s there is lots of room. About 8” tire to bottom of fender. I plan to eventually go to 37’s. Although I didn’t measure, I’m sure I got more than 2” of lift. I would go 2.5”

IMG_0675.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app