Cooper STT Pro - 12.5 vs 13.50

MSUConrad

Looking at tires for my 2019 Rubicon. I haven’t decided on lift yet, but 37” tires is the functionality and look I’m going for. Seeing that the Cooper STT Pros appears to be very popular, they seem to be a safe bet.

My question, in 37” on a 17” rim, you can get a 12.50 or a 13.50. However the 12.50 is $50 to $70 more per tire. What am I missing? Is there a reason I should get the more expensive 12.50 over the cheaper 13.50 tire?

Jeeeep

Looking at tires for my 2019 Rubicon. I haven’t decided on lift yet, but 37” tires is the functionality and look I’m going for. Seeing that the Cooper STT Pros appears to be very popular, they seem to be a safe bet.

My question, in 37” on a 17” rim, you can get a 12.50 or a 13.50. However the 12.50 is $50 to $70 more per tire. What am I missing? Is there a reason I should get the more expensive 12.50 over the cheaper 13.50 tire?

yeah, kinda crazy the 13.50 are cheaper. 13.50 are also an "E" rated tire and the 12.5 are "D" rated (softer ride)

Personally, I find the13.50 "E" rated STT Pros pretty stiff and have to run them at a pretty low tire pressure. While at lower pressure it is a softer ride, I find it also reduces gas mileage.

When I go on a trip, I run them at a higher pressure but the ride is harsher even loaded down.

The Coopers started out suprisingly quite but have gotten louder than I care for at 18000 miles.

However, they are excellent on the trail :thumb:

I'm considering selling the 13.50's and getting the 12.50's for the softer ride.

13_gecko_rubi

Where the heck are you looking that it is $50-$70 more per tire? I've seen $10-$15 but that's it.

I have never run the STTs but just helped my buddy mount some. I tried talking him into the 12.5s but he wanted the look of the 13.5s. For me I'd take a D over an E every day and twice on Sunday as I prefer a decent ride :). If you want the absolute widest patch and don't care about them being stiffer go for the 13.5.

Sent via....

StingRubi19

Where the heck are you looking that it is $50-$70 more per tire? I've seen $10-$15 but that's it.

I have never run the STTs but just helped my buddy mount some. I tried talking him into the 12.5s but he wanted the look of the 13.5s. For me I'd take a D over an E every day and twice on Sunday as I prefer a decent ride :). If you want the absolute widest patch and don't care about them being stiffer go for the 13.5.

Sent via....
Discount tire direct lists the 12.5s at 320.97 each and the 13.5s at 260.32 each.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

MSUConrad

Thanks for the fast replies. The different load ratings is something that I missed.

Pricing is coming from Discount Tire and a few local shops around the Portland area. Can you send me a link to where you're seeing the $10-15 difference? Would love to try that company, or at least go for a price match locally.

13_gecko_rubi

Thanks for the fast replies. The different load ratings is something that I missed.

Pricing is coming from Discount Tire and a few local shops around the Portland area. Can you send me a link to where you're seeing the $10-15 difference? Would love to try that company, or at least go for a price match locally.
Well I just went and looked again and now I see the same difference. Dang that's crazy to me.

Sent via....

Jwalt

Because of the price difference I went with the 13.50 from discount tire. I have been happy with them.

wibornz

I run the Cooper STT PRO in 37x12.5r17. I bought them local at Discount Tire. I best price that I found them was 270 a tire delivered on the web. I loaded the site on my phone went into my local Discount Tire showed him the price and that they were in my online cart so all I had to do is click buy. I told him if he could match the price and would buy/order them thought him right now. He was not thrilled, but did not want to let the deal go, so he matched the price.

Two days later, I went and picked them up. So try and get Discount Tire to match them.

Last edited:

MSUConrad

Thanks everyone. I love using Discount Tire, not only do they price match but they always treat my wife excellently when she comes in (even the times with kids in tow).

Now I just have to get out of analysis paralysis of lift decisions.....possibly a new thread!