Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooper STT Pro - 12.5 vs 13.50

Fresh Catch

Cooper STT Pro - 12.5 vs 13.50

Looking at tires for my 2019 Rubicon. I havent decided on lift yet, but 37 tires is the functionality and look Im going for. Seeing that the Cooper STT Pros appears to be very popular, they seem to be a safe bet.

My question, in 37 on a 17 rim, you can get a 12.50 or a 13.50. However the 12.50 is $50 to $70 more per tire. What am I missing? Is there a reason I should get the more expensive 12.50 over the cheaper 13.50 tire?

Fresh Catch
    Damn it. How do I move this to the tire section?

Quote Originally Posted by MSUConrad View Post
    Damn it. How do I move this to the tire section?
    Done

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37s
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40s
    1975 Jeep DJ5

Been Around the Block
    Looking at tires for my 2019 Rubicon. I havent decided on lift yet, but 37 tires is the functionality and look Im going for. Seeing that the Cooper STT Pros appears to be very popular, they seem to be a safe bet.

My question, in 37 on a 17 rim, you can get a 12.50 or a 13.50. However the 12.50 is $50 to $70 more per tire. What am I missing? Is there a reason I should get the more expensive 12.50 over the cheaper 13.50 tire?
    yeah, kinda crazy the 13.50 are cheaper. 13.50 are also an "E" rated tire and the 12.5 are "D" rated (softer ride)

Personally, I find the13.50 "E" rated STT Pros pretty stiff and have to run them at a pretty low tire pressure. While at lower pressure it is a softer ride, I find it also reduces gas mileage.

When I go on a trip, I run them at a higher pressure but the ride is harsher even loaded down.

The Coopers started out suprisingly quite but have gotten louder than I care for at 18000 miles.

However, they are excellent on the trail

I'm considering selling the 13.50's and getting the 12.50's for the softer ride.

Nothing but a Thing

Where the heck are you looking that it is $50-$70 more per tire? I've seen $10-$15 but that's it.

I have never run the STTs but just helped my buddy mount some. I tried talking him into the 12.5s but he wanted the look of the 13.5s. For me I'd take a D over an E every day and twice on Sunday as I prefer a decent ride :-). If you want the absolute widest patch and don't care about them being stiffer go for the 13.5.

Sent via....

Quote Originally Posted by 13_gecko_rubi View Post
    Where the heck are you looking that it is $50-$70 more per tire? I've seen $10-$15 but that's it.

I have never run the STTs but just helped my buddy mount some. I tried talking him into the 12.5s but he wanted the look of the 13.5s. For me I'd take a D over an E every day and twice on Sunday as I prefer a decent ride :-). If you want the absolute widest patch and don't care about them being stiffer go for the 13.5.

Sent via....
    Discount tire direct lists the 12.5s at 320.97 each and the 13.5s at 260.32 each.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Thanks for the fast replies. The different load ratings is something that I missed.

Pricing is coming from Discount Tire and a few local shops around the Portland area. Can you send me a link to where you're seeing the $10-15 difference? Would love to try that company, or at least go for a price match locally.

Nothing but a Thing
    Thanks for the fast replies. The different load ratings is something that I missed.

Pricing is coming from Discount Tire and a few local shops around the Portland area. Can you send me a link to where you're seeing the $10-15 difference? Would love to try that company, or at least go for a price match locally.
    Well I just went and looked again and now I see the same difference. Dang that's crazy to me.

Sent via....

Because of the price difference I went with the 13.50 from discount tire. I have been happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwalt View Post
    Because of the price difference I went with the 13.50 from discount tire. I have been happy with them.
    Me too, great tire so far after always running Nitto's TG's which I still really like/recommend as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast