Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JL JOURNAL : EVO JL Wrangler Rear Track Bar Relocation Bracket INSTALL

JL JOURNAL : EVO JL Wrangler Rear Track Bar Relocation Bracket INSTALL

Any time you change the ride height of a Jeep JL Wrangler, the front and rear axles will shift to one side or the other. The reason for this is because they're solid axles that are held in place with a track bar that's mounted on one end and then on the frame rail on the other. However, with a 2.5" lift or less, the shift is minute and really, not enough to matter. Certainly, it won't affect your steering, handling or otherwise. However, when you start getting into the 3"-3.5" of lift or more and if you're running shocks that will allow for big enough articulation, you will start to see some issues and especially so in the rear.

Because your rear axle will shift to the passenger side, your rear drive shaft may start to make contact with your gas tank skid. There are a few ways you can address this issue but one of the cheapest and easiest solutions is to install a rear track bar relocation bracket. By restoring the geometry of the track bar, essentially make it sit flatter again like it did when stock, your axle will return to a more centered position. Also, in addition to helping provide more clearance for your driveshaft, you may also see the added benefit of improved handling as well. For our purposes, we decided to install a track bar relocation bracket made by EVO Manufacturing and in this short video, you'll see just how easy it is to install.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
    If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

Tools You Will Need
    EVO Rear Track Bar Relocation Bracket
    21, 22mm Sockets
    9/16, 5/8, 13/16, 7/8" Sockets & Wrenches
    Ratchet
    Torque Wrench
    Hand Drill
    9/16" Metal Drilling Bit
    Floor Jack
    Cutting Oil
    Touch Up Paint

Optional Tools You May Want
    Milwaukee Impact Wrench
    https://amzn.to/2Na92J5

I should note that if your JL Wrangler is sitting at 4" of lift or more, an adjustable track bar may be needed as well and with it set purposefully longer to push your axle further to the driver side. An aftermarket driveshaft may also help being that they typically have a narrower diameter tube.

Thanks for watching and we hope that you find our video to be helpful.

Knows a Thing or Two BillArnett's Avatar
    So why is this better than a longer or adjustable track bar?
    2018 JLUR Granite, 3.6L auto, all the goodies; ARB "Quad" on-board air, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.5R17, Pro Comp Predator 17x8.5 wheels, Rubicon Express 2.5" lift, King remote res shocks, aFe Rock Basher exhaust, LoD Destroyer Shorty front & rear bumpers, LoD Signature rock sliders, Warn Zeon 10-S

Quote Originally Posted by BillArnett View Post
    So why is this better than a longer or adjustable track bar?
    Never said it's "better" per se. That being said, it is more affordable AND it'll correct the geometry of your track bar with a taller lift. This will effectively improve handling in the rear. An adjustable track bar will not be able to do anything other than recenter your axle.

Great video as usual guys! I bookmarked this for when I upgrade to the 3.5in lift in the future. Also, I never realized how much the rest end shifts when lifted.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Never said it's "better" per se. That being said, it is more affordable AND it'll correct the geometry of your track bar with a taller lift. This will effectively improve handling in the rear. An adjustable track bar will not be able to do anything other than recenter your axle.
    So it seems the correct fix, money aside, is a relocation bracket AND an adjustable trackbar?

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbydude View Post
    Great video as usual guys! I bookmarked this for when I upgrade to the 3.5in lift in the future. Also, I never realized how much the rest end shifts when lifted.
    In reality, it's not that much. I mean, we were trying to address near 5" of lift and it was only off about an inch. Really, it's no big deal other than the fact that we were having our driveshaft make contact with our gas tank at a flex. Also, I should note that it's not just the rear end that shifts - the front end does too. It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to solid axles and track bars.

Quote Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
    So it seems the correct fix, money aside, is a relocation bracket AND an adjustable trackbar?
    Not sure why. I still run factory track bars front and rear on Moby.

Thanks, very easy installation with good results. Just wish EVO had these parts for sale, no body appears to be carrying them yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Last edited by GrayBeard; 02-18-2019 at 06:50 PM.
    2018 Jeep JLUR, Granite Crystal Metallic, Automatic, 2" Mopar Suspension Lift, 37x12x17 Toyo Open Country R/T Tires.

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    In reality, it's not that much. I mean, we were trying to address near 5" of lift and it was only off about an inch. Really, it's no big deal other than the fact that we were having our driveshaft make contact with our gas tank at a flex. Also, I should note that it's not just the rear end that shifts - the front end does too. It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to solid axles and track bars.

Not sure why. I still run factory track bars front and rear on Moby.
    I guess for those OCD that want their axle dead centered at rest? When you load your rig up, does the axle shift in the correct direction (closer to center) or further? Also, are your front and rear axles off by the same amount so at least the front/rear tires are in line with each other?

Like this...

l l
    l l

instead of this (obviously exaggerated)...ignore the periods, had to use them so the forum didn't automatically put it back to left.

......l l
    .......l l
    Last edited by NFRs2000NYC; 02-18-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
    I guess for those OCD that want their axle dead centered at rest? When you load your rig up, does the axle shift in the correct direction (closer to center) or further? Also, are your front and rear axles off by the same amount so at least the front/rear tires are in line with each other?

Like this...

l l
    l l

instead of this (obviously exaggerated)...ignore the periods, had to use them so the forum didn't automatically put it back to left.

......l l
    .......l l
    I hate to drive your OCD insane but.... your axles are NEVER dead center. Gas up and load up your Jeep with passengers and/or gear and your Jeep will squat enough to cause your axles to shift. To the passenger side up front and to the driver side in the rear. Unload your Jeep completely and they will shift again but to the other side. It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to solid axles and a track bar. They only way to get rid of the shift completely is to run a true triangulated 4-link suspension system, a tri-link upper or a watts link.

Seems like a well designed bracket. That side bolt really locks it in place.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast