Jks control arm torque

I am installing the JKS JSpec 2.5 inch lift on my wife's Rubicon Unlimited, and I need some advice. They say to torque the new lower control arms to 207 ft lbs of torque. Any tips because I'm not strong enough laying on the floor of the garage to get them to spec? Also does 207 ft lbs seem high to you guys? Thanks!

JTCO

Meme King
I am installing the JKS JSpec 2.5 inch lift on my wife's Rubicon Unlimited, and I need some advice. They say to torque the new lower control arms to 207 ft lbs of torque. Any tips because I'm not strong enough laying on the floor of the garage to get them to spec? Also does 207 ft lbs seem high to you guys? Thanks!

What's the bolt size? Typically a Grade 10 12mm bolt is about 90 ft lbs and a 14mm bolt is about 125 ft lbs. Don't quote me on that, but that's what is fairly common on those bolt sizes.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Actually, that sounds about right. The front lower control arm bolts are a LOT bigger than what was used on the JK and they required 125 ft. lbs. As far as getting them to that point goes, it helps to have a big long torque wrench as it'll give you more leverage.

Actually, that sounds about right. The front lower control arm bolts are a LOT bigger than what was used on the JK and they required 125 ft. lbs. As far as getting them to that point goes, it helps to have a big long torque wrench as it'll give you more leverage.

I was afraid it would be that high lol. I got them to about 175 ft lbs so far using a 50-250 ft lb torque wrench. I may drive the front tires up on some ramps and put a pipe over the torque wrench for more leverage. Or find a shop with an alignment rack that will let me stand under their lift.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. Good info.

Yeah, the nuts used for the front lower arms now require a 24mm socket. :eek:

I was afraid it would be that high lol. I got them to about 175 ft lbs so far using a 50-250 ft lb torque wrench. I may drive the front tires up on some ramps and put a pipe over the torque wrench for more leverage. Or find a shop with an alignment rack that will let me stand under their lift.

Using a pipe as a cheater bar will help for sure.