Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offroad GPS topo maps navigation

Fresh Catch

Offroad GPS topo maps navigation

I have used topo maps in the military, backpacking and off roading. I've read that jeep uses Garmin maps. So to my question is has anyone put topo maps in their jeep JL or does everyone just use a stand alone GPS?

I actually use a GPS app on my phone. I only pay 20 a year for it and it allows me to download maps. A good GPS will usually cost 250+

At 20 a year, I can use this app with updates for 12.5 years before it cost me what a nice handheld GPS unit would cost me.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Fresh Catch

topo gps

Thanks for the reply I have 4 stand alone GPS's but getting old an can't see the screen on them up on the dash I was hoping I could put the soft wear in the jeep system for bigger screen.
    thank you.

Knows a Thing or Two BillArnett's Avatar
    I use a variety of mapping apps on my iPhone and on my iPad. My favorite is ďGaia GPSĒ. The free version is very capable and has a variey of Topo maps and more. Even more maps are available with the paid version. I believe it is available for Android devices, too.

I much prefer a tablet to a phone for mapping for the obviously reason that the screen is so much bigger. On my JK I had it mounted in front of the useless center screen. I havenít found a good solution for my JL (whose screen is far from useless :-) . It works out pretty well to just let my passenger do the navigating holding the iPad in her hands.
    2018 JLUR Granite, 3.6L auto, all the goodies; ARB "Quad" on-board air, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.5R17, Pro Comp Predator 17x8.5 wheels, Rubicon Express 2.5" lift, King remote res shocks, aFe Rock Basher exhaust, LoD Destroyer Shorty front & rear bumpers, LoD Signature rock sliders, Warn Zeon 10-S

Fresh Catch

Post topo maps

Thank you I just downloaded the app so fair i love it. Thanks again.

Fresh Catch

Off-road navigation

I see several youtubers talk about what they use for navigation when off the beaten path, but I'm curious what you all use and what device you use.

My family's devices mostly runs on Windows, and I was wondering if I could run the popular apps on a Surface Go. What device do you use? How do you mount it? Pictures are welcome!

Cheers,

David
    ●|||||||●

We have an ipad with GAIA maps and a Bad Elf GPS receiver. Mounted on a ram floor mount. Works really well.

IMG_20170606_214936_049.jpg

I also occasionally use a Garmin Etrex 20 but more for backpacking. Love everything about it other than the screen is really small.

download.jpg

Iíve been using a iPad mini with the MotionX-GPS app for a while now. And a Dual Bluetooth GPS receiver.

IMG_1744.JPG

But if Iím local in WI, now I just use google maps on the 8.4 radio display with CarPlay. If youíre going to be out of cell phone coverage just download the area on google maps app for offline use.

Quote Originally Posted by WiscoHR View Post
    Iíve been using a iPad mini with the MotionX-GPS app for a while now. And a Dual Bluetooth GPS receiver.

IMG_1744.JPG

But if Iím local in WI, now I just use google maps on the 8.4 radio display with CarPlay. If youíre going to be out of cell phone coverage just download the area on google maps app for offline use.

How in the hell do you get your antenna to hook up with the Ipad???

Quote Originally Posted by ddays v2 View Post
    How in the hell do you get your antenna to hook up with the Ipad???
    Itís not. When Iím using the iPad I use the the dual GPS receiver which connects by Bluetooth.

And when I use CarPlay on the radio display it pulls from my iPhone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast