Thread: topo maps

Fresh Catch

topo maps

I have used topo maps in the military, backpacking and off roading. I've read that jeep uses Garmin maps. So to my question is has anyone put topo maps in their jeep JL or does everyone just use a stand alone GPS?

I actually use a GPS app on my phone. I only pay 20 a year for it and it allows me to download maps. A good GPS will usually cost 250+

At 20 a year, I can use this app with updates for 12.5 years before it cost me what a nice handheld GPS unit would cost me.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Fresh Catch

topo gps

Thanks for the reply I have 4 stand alone GPS's but getting old an can't see the screen on them up on the dash I was hoping I could put the soft wear in the jeep system for bigger screen.
    thank you.

Knows a Thing or Two BillArnett's Avatar
    I use a variety of mapping apps on my iPhone and on my iPad. My favorite is “Gaia GPS”. The free version is very capable and has a variey of Topo maps and more. Even more maps are available with the paid version. I believe it is available for Android devices, too.

I much prefer a tablet to a phone for mapping for the obviously reason that the screen is so much bigger. On my JK I had it mounted in front of the useless center screen. I haven’t found a good solution for my JL (whose screen is far from useless :-) . It works out pretty well to just let my passenger do the navigating holding the iPad in her hands.
    2018 JLUR Granite, 3.6L auto, all the goodies; ARB "Quad" on-board air, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.5R17, Pro Comp Predator 17x8.5 wheels, Rubicon Express 2.5" lift, King remote res shocks, aFe Rock Basher exhaust, LoD Destroyer Shorty front & rear bumpers, LoD Signature rock sliders, Warn Zeon 10-S

Fresh Catch

Post topo maps

Thank you I just downloaded the app so fair i love it. Thanks again.