Offroad GPS topo maps navigation

Chuck

I have used topo maps in the military, backpacking and off roading. I've read that jeep uses Garmin maps. So to my question is has anyone put topo maps in their jeep JL or does everyone just use a stand alone GPS?

Hooligan_JL

I actually use a GPS app on my phone. I only pay 20 a year for it and it allows me to download maps. A good GPS will usually cost 250+

At 20 a year, I can use this app with updates for 12.5 years before it cost me what a nice handheld GPS unit would cost me.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Chuck

topo gps

Thanks for the reply I have 4 stand alone GPS's but getting old an can't see the screen on them up on the dash I was hoping I could put the soft wear in the jeep system for bigger screen.
thank you.

BillArnett

I use a variety of mapping apps on my iPhone and on my iPad. My favorite is “Gaia GPS”. The free version is very capable and has a variey of Topo maps and more. Even more maps are available with the paid version. I believe it is available for Android devices, too.

I much prefer a tablet to a phone for mapping for the obviously reason that the screen is so much bigger. On my JK I had it mounted in front of the useless center screen. I haven’t found a good solution for my JL (whose screen is far from useless :) . It works out pretty well to just let my passenger do the navigating holding the iPad in her hands.

Off-road navigation

I see several youtubers talk about what they use for navigation when off the beaten path, but I'm curious what you all use and what device you use.

My family's devices mostly runs on Windows, and I was wondering if I could run the popular apps on a Surface Go. What device do you use? How do you mount it? Pictures are welcome!

Cheers,

David

JTCO

Meme King
We have an ipad with GAIA maps and a Bad Elf GPS receiver. Mounted on a ram floor mount. Works really well.

IMG_20170606_214936_049.jpg

I also occasionally use a Garmin Etrex 20 but more for backpacking. Love everything about it other than the screen is really small.

download.jpg

WiscoHR

I’ve been using a iPad mini with the MotionX-GPS app for a while now. And a Dual Bluetooth GPS receiver.

IMG_1744.JPG

But if I’m local in WI, now I just use google maps on the 8.4 radio display with CarPlay. If you’re going to be out of cell phone coverage just download the area on google maps app for offline use.

ddays v2

I’ve been using a iPad mini with the MotionX-GPS app for a while now. And a Dual Bluetooth GPS receiver.

View attachment 9650

But if I’m local in WI, now I just use google maps on the 8.4 radio display with CarPlay. If you’re going to be out of cell phone coverage just download the area on google maps app for offline use.

How in the hell do you get your antenna to hook up with the Ipad???

ddays v2

Mine used to work when I first hooked it up, but then the damn thing did a software update & it hasn't connected since.

NFRs2000NYC

I've been VERY happy with GAIA. The yearly amount they charge is VERY reasonable (just ONE paper map of their layer maps for ONE state costs more), works with google for planning trips/waypoints, has damn near every map you can imagine, etc. Coupled with a good tablet, it's very powerful.

Okay, neither Gaia or Backcountry Navigator are available on Windows, so it looks like I'll give up my Surface Go wishes.

I do use an iPhone and it looks like Gaia will support CarPlay early in 2019 (or so they say) which means I should be able to view the app/maps from my in-dash screen, which means I won't even need a tablet.

If I do want to do more than what I can do on CarPlay, I can use my phone, a laptop using a browser (with downloaded maps), or my son's iPad.

Thanks for the advice!

Edit: meant to say that I'll also try out downloaded Google maps. If I decide I really like Gaia, I'll probably do a membership.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Okay, neither Gaia or Backcountry Navigator are available on Windows, so it looks like I'll give up my Surface Go wishes.

I do use an iPhone and it looks like Gaia will support CarPlay early in 2019 (or so they say) which means I should be able to view the app/maps from my in-dash screen, which means I won't even need a tablet.

If I do want to do more than what I can do on CarPlay, I can use my phone, a laptop using a browser (with downloaded maps), or my son's iPad.

Thanks for the advice!

Edit: meant to say that I'll also try out downloaded Google maps. If I decide I really like Gaia, I'll probably do a membership.

Google maps is limited though. GAIA you can overlay national geographic maps, Forest service maps, national park maps, etc. GAIA is much more powerful for offroad travel. Also has BLM maps so you know where you can set up camp legally.