Snow and Wide Tires

WiscoHR

I know this has probably come up multiple times. But just wanted to talk about wide tires and slick roads.

I’m running 13.5 Coopers which are great but they have there downfalls. I think it’s a misconception that bigger is better.

Deep snow they dig like nothing else. But it’s the slick roads and slush people need to be aware. Just coming home today with frozen roads and about an inch of slush can get scary.

I’m headed up a hill at about 45mph and ass end gets light. Let off gas and it settles. I just want everyone to realize going wider in snow conditions changes the driving dynamics of your Jeep.

Factory size tires cut through snow whereas wide tires float. Just want everyone to be safe!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I think what you were feeling was more a result of them being mud terrains than being wide. All terrains, like what came on your Jeep from the factory will always handle the slick stuff better. That being said, of all the mud terrains I've run in the past (all tend to suck when compared to an all terrain), I have found my STT Pros to handle the slick stuff the best.

drhcobra

I think it’s a misconception that bigger is better. Just want everyone to be safe!

I think this is the key point here. But I would agree that generally speaking a narrower tire is better in those conditions, especially if you are talking about the same tire.

All terrains, like what came on your Jeep from the factory will always handle the slick stuff better.

Agreed.

I remember back in the day when you put snow tires on the back of cars in the winter. Not as common now with all the AWD stuff but still a good idea.
And a couple sand bags in the back end.

Jwalt

The narrow tire has more weight on a smaller contact patch than a wide tire. This helps with traction on the snow/ice. I have a set of 235/75r16 snow tires (skinny pizza cutters) on my TJ and it does much better on icy roads than when I run my wider all terrains. With that I am running 37x13.50r17 STT pros on my JL and they have been great in the snow. My experience has been for years driving pickups so the extra weight in the rear of the jeep does help in comparison to an empty pickup bed. I do find on slick roads I do put the JL in 4wd more often with the wider tires because it does slide around more. I still would not trade it

NFRs2000NYC

I know this has probably come up multiple times. But just wanted to talk about wide tires and slick roads.

I’m running 13.5 Coopers which are great but they have there downfalls. I think it’s a misconception that bigger is better.

Deep snow they dig like nothing else. But it’s the slick roads and slush people need to be aware. Just coming home today with frozen roads and about an inch of slush can get scary.

I’m headed up a hill at about 45mph and ass end gets light. Let off gas and it settles. I just want everyone to realize going wider in snow conditions changes the driving dynamics of your Jeep.

Factory size tires cut through snow whereas wide tires float. Just want everyone to be safe!

100% spot on. I remember saying this very thing on forums and people were losing their minds. My 12.50 duratracs absolutely float on snow/ice (which in SOME conditions, may be a benefit, like on fresh powder or deep snow), whereas a pizza cutter has more pressure on the ground and is definitely superior on compacted snow/ice.

Last edited:

arcticaaron

Agreed, the wider tires do float more on snowy or slushy roads. I had a tire shop sipe my Cooper STT 12.5s and it made a huge difference in the snow and ice. Been running these all winter in Alaska and I highly recommend siping wide mud tires for the winter.