2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited 3.6L

thunderstrike

Anyone know what size the oil drain plug is? Looking to order a Fumoto valve and I know it used to be M14 1.5 size. Just wanted to validate that for 2019 since I haven't changed oil on it yet.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Do people actually put those things on? Are you that lazy you can throw a wrench on to drain the oil?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

With the exception of the JL, I've had the Fumoto valves on our current and several of our past vehicles. Oil drains easily into returnable oil containers, and without a mess. With top mount oil filters, I don't even throw cardboard or a drip pan on the floor anymore (well, except the JL as I haven't added a Fumoto).

smokinjeep

These things are awesome. Have one on all my vehicles. Zero mess. Can Chang oil without tools. I can’t believe everyone doesn’t use them.

CalSgt

EVO MFG ProTek

I noticed this thread the other day when thunderstrike brought it bak to life and it got me thinking...

I ended up ordering a Stahlbus drain valve, I had never tried one of these but all the talk about skid plates being in the way got me worried it would make a mess. I picked the Stahlbus over the fumoto because it has an O-ring sealed cap that threads over the drain, if for some reason the drain fails or leaks the cap should keep it plugged until it can get replaced.

Sure enough my EVO skid made a mess today, the hole in the skid is almost perfect. I pulled the plug and the oil shot right through the hole in the skid, until it got down to the end when the stream was about 1/8" wide it started to hit the front edge of the drain hole. It was still draining pretty good and I didn't want to plug it back up. There was a lot of oil in the skid when it was done, I used about a half roll of paper towels sopping it up.

I replaced the plug with the Stahlbus drain so hopefully it will be a little cleaner next time.

CalSgt

I changed my oil yesterday after my Rubicon trip for the first time since installing the Stahlbus valve...

Super simple and clean, there was a tiny bit of oil in the valve cap when I removed it but it didn't look like any had gotten out. The hose that comes attached to the drain adapter is the perfect length to empty the used motor oil into an empty 5 Qt jug for disposal. Probably the simplest oil change I've done since the old days when I worked at a shop with a lift and a tank for used oil

dixonk

Skid plates, man. Tired of having oil missing the drain hole and into the oil pan skid. So much easier. And yes....I am that lazy. [emoji851]

Just spent most my time this morning get oil out of my skid plate. Ended up having to drill a drain hole towards the back and then sopping up the rest with paper towels. Should have just been a 15 min oil change...

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

MrGiant

Thats not about lazy....just ease. Being able to put a hose on is just great

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR