Evo Coil Spring Indexing Issue

jmincher

I've recently had an Evo Enforcer 2.5" lift installed and twice now, i've had the rear passenger side coil not stay indexed properly. When it's not indexed, I believe it's rubbing on the spring perch and I has a grinding noise when I go over larger dips and rises. I'm new to the wrangler community and the shop that I am working with doesn't have any good suggestions at this point on why the coil won't stay indexed. They've "fixed" it twice now. Evo sent new coils out when it happened the second time. Within 2 days of the shop putting the new coils on, same grinding noise, same coil not indexed anymore. This is all daily driving at this point. Picture of the coil as it sits right now is below. Any ideas or suggestions as to why this would be happening?

image1.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing, are you running their track bar relocation bracket or an adjustable rear track bar?

jmincher

Thanks for the reply! I'm running the relocation bracket. I have the 2.5" Enforcer Overland Kit. Shocks are the Fox Performance Series 2.0 for 2-3 inch lift. But...... Looking at the specs now on the shocks and you may have hit the nail on the head. The lift kit calls for 28.5 inches or less at full extension and the specs on these shocks are 29.5 inches at full extension.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply! I'm running the relocation bracket. I have the 2.5" Enforcer Overland Kit. Shocks are the Fox Performance Series 2.0 for 2-3 inch lift. But...... Looking at the specs now on the shocks and you may have hit the nail on the head. The lift kit calls for 28.5 inches or less at full extension and the specs on these shocks are 29.5 inches at full extension.

I had seen this on the JLX on one of the JL’s. Shock length definitely appears to be just a bit too long for the coils.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

So, without replacing the shocks, what would good options be? Maybe coil spacers or would it just be better to go with larger springs if possible?

Maybe grab some limiting straps for now... are you planning on increasing lift height in the future? How hard are you wheeling your jeep?

jmincher

Maybe grab some limiting straps for now... are you planning on increasing lift height in the future? How hard are you wheeling your jeep?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at those. I didn't plan on lifting anymore than 2.5". Not going to be wheeling super hard. Off-road for camping/hunting, family adventure type stuff.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, do you recommend an adjustable track bar or relocation bracket (one over the other?) with the 2.5" Enforcer lift?

You don't really need anything with just 2.5" of lift. However, if you want to correct for the shift, a relocation bracket is a lot cheaper and will get the job done well.

So, without replacing the shocks, what would good options be? Maybe coil spacers or would it just be better to go with larger springs if possible?

Coil spacers is what I would install. It's cheap and should help make up the difference you need.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

This would do the trick for sure but I don't know if anything is made for the JL as of yet. Sure you can install something anyway but some welding will most likely be required.

This would do the trick for sure but I don't know if anything is made for the JL as of yet. Sure you can install something anyway but some welding will most likely be required.

I’ve emailed them a month ago and they have available albiet for their coil overs. I’m planning on doing this with remote res king shocks and stock coils with 35’s. With the eventual upgrade to evo 2.5 coils.

All coils lose their downward force on their last 10% of travel. Always compare extended length of coil against shock travel to make sure it doesnt extend past that 10% length otherwise coils could come unpacked in standard coil spring suspension. Hence preload in coilivers...