Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JL JOURNAL : EVO Tire Carrier Installation

Quote Originally Posted by doubletapdaddy View Post
    Well done. Have you found a need to install any shim plates on the lower pivot mount to account for the weight of the wheel and tire?

Attachment 8739

BTW... You looked pretty spent at the end, so something tells me this wasn't your only mod that day. Lol.
    I installed both shims on mine and it seems to have worked well for me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Oversize View Post
    I installed both shims on mine and it seems to have worked well for me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Good to know. We've got the same Wheel and Tire combo I think (Coop 37x13.5r17, KMC XD229s), so I'll be sure to install both shims.

Very informative video, thanks for that!
    I have been thinking of how much work would have to be put into the install of this thing. BTW, this carrier looks by far best for me. But to have unpainted metal under the carrier on the tailgate, man I dont know....perhaps get it painted before install
    Anyway, beefy carrier and thought all the way to the end, great work

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR
    Mr.Giant - '92 YJ, Flat Black
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR, Bright White

Knows a Thing or Two CanadaJeep's Avatar
    Another great install video, thanks for theses videos they come in very useful when doing ourselves.
    SCOTT *lllllll*
    2018 STING GRAY JL SPORT

Another top notch vid y’all. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MrGiant View Post
    I have been thinking of how much work would have to be put into the install of this thing. BTW, this carrier looks by far best for me. But to have unpainted metal under the carrier on the tailgate, man I dont know....perhaps get it painted before install

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR
    No paint under the hinges is normal. Every Jeep I've ever owned is like that and I can't say for sure if there isn't some kind of corrosion prevention coating. It's not like it's shiny metal under the hinges - it's more like a greenish drab. Also, the skin of the tailgate is aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJeep View Post
    Another great install video, thanks for theses videos they come in very useful when doing ourselves.
    Awesome, so glad to hear it. Helping others to be able to help themselves is all we hope to accomplish with our videos.

Quote Originally Posted by DEFCON1 View Post
    Another top notch vid y’all. Thanks for sharing.
    You bet! We're so glad to hear you enjoyed the video

Been Around the Block
    we installed this 2 weeks ago and can confirm the 2 shims under the bottom hinge helps and allows the tailgate to operate perfectly. I did notice that you did not install the 3rd brake light? For me the 3rd brake light bracket and the way it installs could have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGiant View Post

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR
    If you think about it, it was unpainted metal under the factory hinges as well.
    Last edited by doubletapdaddy; 02-06-2019 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
    we installed this 2 weeks ago and can confirm the 2 shims under the bottom hinge helps and allows the tailgate to operate perfectly. I did notice that you did not install the 3rd brake light? For me the 3rd brake light bracket and the way it installs could have been better.
    I wasn't exactly thrilled about how the 3rd brake light bracket was designed. Changing out a blown tire on the trail would be nothing short of very difficult if not impossible if you don't have a T-8 bit and you don't jack up the tiny bolt heads. For me, I decided to install a Mopar relocation bracket instead.

As far as the shims go, I would have installed them if my tire carrier came with them. EVO sent them to me after the fact but I had already added preload to the tailgate and that seemed to do the trick.

Been Around the Block
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I wasn't exactly thrilled about how the 3rd brake light bracket was designed. Changing out a blown tire on the trail would be nothing short of very difficult if not impossible if you don't have a T-8 bit and you don't jack up the tiny bolt heads. For me, I decided to install a Mopar relocation bracket instead.

As far as the shims go, I would have installed them if my tire carrier came with them. EVO sent them to me after the fact but I had already added preload to the tailgate and that seemed to do the trick.
    I will look into the Mopar bracket as well. Thanks for the info.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast