Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - EVO Tire Carrier Installation

VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - EVO Tire Carrier Installation

Soon after installing a heavy 37" spare on the factory tire carrier of our Jeep JL Wrangler, Cindy and I had a myriad of people declare that we were for sure, going to jack up our tailgate. Of course, they said they saw it on social media and so it had to be true. I literally had guys trolling me about it on YouTube and demanded that I admit, we would bend or break our tailgate in 6 months or less. It was just nuts! Well, 8 months after the fact - I'm happy to say that our tailgate was still holding up just fine and without any bending or breaking of any kind. However, I'd be lying if I said this setup was a perfect solution. As some of you know, we spend an enormous amount of time bombing across the desert and hard hits would in fact cause the tailgate to move just enough, to make an annoying knocking sound. Needless to say, this was something we wanted to address and did so, with an EVO Tire Carrier. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you get to see to install, one on your Jeep JL Wrangler. Thanks for watching and we hope you find our video to be helpful.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
    If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

Things to Buy
    EVO Tire Carrier - https://amzn.to/2tg2AHr
    Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench - https://amzn.to/2Gr6ogM
    Milwaukee 2457-21 M12 3/8-Inch Ratchet - https://amzn.to/2TzLlMz

What You'll Need
    13, 15, 22mm Socket & Wrench (deep sockets will be helpful)
    5/8, 13/16, 7/8" Socket & Wrench
    3/16" Allen Wrench
    Ratchet
    Ratchet Extension
    Torx T-8, T-25, T-40, T-55
    Dead Blow Hammer
    Flathead Screwdriver
    Trim Pry Tool
    Pry Bar
    Flat Razor
    WD40
    Blue Painters Tape

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Nice! I've been patiently waiting for your install video of this since I was gonna go with this carrier. Then the Gladiator came out and my plans changed lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Well designed product but wow, that looks like a lot of work.

Thank you for the video. Looks like a lot of work,but if its evo made then its worth the install. Ill be doing the install Friday following your video!!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Haha damn! Released the video 4 says after I installed mine. I would have loved to have this for the install.

Sent from my SM-G965U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Nothing but a Thing doubletapdaddy's Avatar
    Well done. Have you found a need to install any shim plates on the lower pivot mount to account for the weight of the wheel and tire?

20190205_190212.jpg

BTW... You looked pretty spent at the end, so something tells me this wasn't your only mod that day. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by StingRubi19 View Post
    Nice! I've been patiently waiting for your install video of this since I was gonna go with this carrier. Then the Gladiator came out and my plans changed lol
    LOL!! I'll take it as a good thing that I took so long

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Well designed product but wow, that looks like a lot of work.
    It is a ton of work to install but not difficult by any stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rgk401 View Post
    Thank you for the video. Looks like a lot of work,but if its evo made then its worth the install. Ill be doing the install Friday following your video!!
    There's just a lot of steps but it's not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Oversize View Post
    Haha damn! Released the video 4 says after I installed mine. I would have loved to have this for the install.
    Sorry, we just have so many videos we're working on, it's hard to get them all done.

Quote Originally Posted by doubletapdaddy View Post
    Well done. Have you found a need to install any shim plates on the lower pivot mount to account for the weight of the wheel and tire?

BTW... You looked pretty spent at the end, so something tells me this wasn't your only mod that day. Lol.
    Good eye! I think this was the last install I did for the day - that out of about 5 installs.

Regarding the shims, I didn't get them with mine but would have installed them had I got them. I was able to compensate for the sag of the tailgate by adding preload to it but the shims would have made it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    LOL!! I'll take it as a good thing that I took so long

You know that's a good point, you did save me some money and install time! Lol thanks for that!

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Eddie

Fantastic video as always! A few questions for you. I installed this about 3 weeks ago and it took me all day. Yes, several steps but mostly the instructions were not very clear to me.

1 - Does your Wheel look tilted once installed?

Mine leans towards the rear window from the stop and leans slightly out from the bottom.

2. Does your gate enter the catch perfectly centered or does it hit the top of the latch bracket on the gate as it makes contact with the Jeep? Sorry I hope you can understand what Im talking about.

3. Does your gate sit perfectly flush? My bottom hinge corner sticks out about 1/4 inch or 3/8 or an inch. I can post pictures if that helps?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan_JL View Post
    1 - Does your Wheel look tilted once installed?

Mine leans towards the rear window from the stop and leans slightly out from the bottom.
    No. Sounds like you have your mount installed too far forward.

2. Does your gate enter the catch perfectly centered or does it hit the top of the latch bracket on the gate as it makes contact with the Jeep? Sorry I hope you can understand what Im talking about.
    You can adjust the position of the catch.

3. Does your gate sit perfectly flush? My bottom hinge corner sticks out about 1/4 inch or 3/8 or an inch. I can post pictures if that helps?
    Yes, mine does. You may need to loosen the bolts on the tub and make adjustments.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast