JL JOURNAL : EVO Tire Carrier Installation

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback Eddie. Is there room to install zerk fitting and would you think that would resolve or minimize any concerns?

Trying to find solutions.....

yep, it's on my to do list if I can't track down bronze bushings that'll fit.

I was thinking about adding a zerk to my joints but squirted some chain lube on/in them this past week and all is good and quiet now, for a while anyway. Great carrier so far for me.

Hmm, chain lube. May give that a try first.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Groovy. What are you going to do about the camera? I really like my EVO HD tire carrier, but the provided camera/CHMSL solution sucks.

Rampart22

Well. I wish I had known about this problem better before hand. The lower middle bolt won’t accommodate my wheel. It’s a KMC bead lock that Nell and his team installed at their Fullerton shop. The housing is bolted as far back as it can. Regarding the camera It’s really a poor protector. I smashed the camera right off while putting the tire on. Ughhh. So I then tried fabricating the old stock housing only to realize that it’s in fact to long. Now I’m baffled and drinking too much to find a reasonable solution. Back to the forums and online searching. IMG_5170.jpgIMG_5169.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Which KMCs are you running, including backspacing? What tires do you have have, including width? Is your tire making contact with the carrier before the wheel is? Maybe your wheel mount is bolted too far back. I'm running 37x13.5r17 Cooper STT Pros on XD229 Machetes. This is what my wheel mount looks like.

20200502_011229_copy_768x1024.jpg

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Although I haven't done this you can just trim the stock protector to length and use for protection during installation if you want. Either that or a kettlebell driver mod.

Last edited:

Rampart22

I’m running a similar set up KMC 229 with 37” nitto ridge grapplers. The mounting bracket is as far back into the weld. The lug bolt won’t fit into the bottom slot. I’m going to attempt purchasing a thinner lug and see it that can work.
Has anyone had problems, water dirt etc getting into the gap around the new hinges. And any problems or solutions with the camera mount. I’m looking for solutions to secure it and keep it from being damaged so easily again.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Not understanding what you mean by "the middle lower bolt won't accommodate the wheel". Can you provide a picture or something?

No problems with the gaps around the hinges. There's a drainage hole underneath the Jeep. As long as you secured the holes to access the inner tailgate hinges you shouldn't have any problems (i.e. replaced the painted stickers, cover with Gorilla Tape, Etc).

To protect the camera, either cut off your stock protector and slide it on when you mount the wheel or just be careful. I'm just careful when I mount the spare. Haven't had any issues.

Last edited:

WiscoHR

I’m running a similar set up KMC 229 with 37” nitto ridge grapplers. The mounting bracket is as far back into the weld. The lug bolt won’t fit into the bottom slot. I’m going to attempt purchasing a thinner lug and see it that can work.
Has anyone had problems, water dirt etc getting into the gap around the new hinges. And any problems or solutions with the camera mount. I’m looking for solutions to secure it and keep it from being damaged so easily again.

Can you post a pic of what bolt and slot your talking about. I’m trying to figure it out by looking mine.

Rampart22

Apologize for my late response. Apparently I also didn’t receive the shims in the inventory and was waiting to repost. EVO was awesome and answered right away at their new facility (props as I figured they would be too busy moving) and sent me the shims. Just received today. So I’ll be rebuilding this once again. I was able to purchase a thinner lug nut to thread onto the lower wheel hole. I haven’t yet finished cutting the stock camera housing but will once I get a new camera. ( still so pisssed at myself for smashing it.) I’m not sure how to fix that stock housing onto the Carrier though. Maybe silicon... Today is Mother’s Day and I’m sure I’m gonna get yelled at for working on the jeep vs cleaning the house. Kids!!!!!or I can wait until tomorrow and let the wife do it. Lol

But otherwise the carrier is stout. And after a quick cleghorn trip earlier this, no more rattling. Super impressed so far. I just need to install the shims to lift the sag and figure out a plan for a new bumper, license plate holder and brake light relocation if i get a new bumper. But for now. Here’s a finished picIMG_5173.JPGIMG_5174.JPGIMG_5172.JPGhopefully the EVO powder coat lasts...

WiscoHR

Apologize for my late response. Apparently I also didn’t receive the shims in the inventory and was waiting to repost. EVO was awesome and answered right away at their new facility (props as I figured they would be too busy moving) and sent me the shims. Just received today. So I’ll be rebuilding this once again. I was able to purchase a thinner lug nut to thread onto the lower wheel hole. I haven’t yet finished cutting the stock camera housing but will once I get a new camera. ( still so pisssed at myself for smashing it.) I’m not sure how to fix that stock housing onto the Carrier though. Maybe silicon... Today is Mother’s Day and I’m sure I’m gonna get yelled at for working on the jeep vs cleaning the house. Kids!!!!!or I can wait until tomorrow and let the wife do it. Lol

But otherwise the carrier is stout. And after a quick cleghorn trip earlier this, no more rattling. Super impressed so far. I just need to install the shims to lift the sag and figure out a plan for a new bumper, license plate holder and brake light relocation if i get a new bumper. But for now. Here’s a finished picView attachment 15593View attachment 15594View attachment 15595hopefully the EVO powder coat lasts...

That’s funny about the shims. I forgot about not getting them when I installed mine, so I got to install it twice.

I’m about to pull mine off to repaint. It rusted on mine at all the welds and inside the tailgate support. But, I do live in Saltville in winter.