Sure it's Bigger... but is it actually Better? DISSECTING the JL WRANGLER Front Axle

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that I've updated the original post and have changed out the photos to show accurate comparison shots of what all the tubes actually look like next to each other.

In this first pic, you'll get to see what a JL Wrangler front axle tube looks like next to an old JK Wrangler one. Again, the JL tube has a diameter of 2.75" and that is a bit bigger than the 2.50" that the JK had but it is still shy of the 3" it really should be. Also, the wall thickness of the JL tube is only 0.282" and that's just slightly thicker than what it was before.
20190217141254-a22af9db.jpg

This new pic shows what a JL Wrangler front axle tube looks like next to the standard tube that is used on a Dynatrac ProRock 44JL.
20190217141256-82138ea9.jpg

As you can see, the difference is HUGE and there really is no comparison. The Dynatrac ProRock 44JL tube kills the JL tube with it's MASSIVE 3.125" diameter tubes and with an impressive 0.50" wall. Just to give you some perspective, this is the same tube that Moby's old ProRock 60 has! :shock:

Finally, here's a shot that shows what a Dynatrac ProRock 44JL tube looks like next to a JL tube and a JK tube.
20190217141249-97abbdff.jpg

Once again, I apologize for the incorrect information that I had originally posted and hope these new pics are helpful to you :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Impressive. What’s the weight difference between the PR44JL and the stock JL44?

So, I got a chance to do some weight analysis with Dynatrac and it turns out that the ProRock 44JL only weighs about 40 lbs. more than a factory JL M210 front axle or JL44.

aust249

This thread is great. I’m definitely following along. I have the front D30 on my JL and am in the process of considering updating the gears and shafts versus replacing it outright with a 44.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, and for reference sake, another company makes a similar axle housing but the tube diameter is still just 2.75" and the wall thickness is only 0.375"

JTCO

Meme King
This thread is great. I’m definitely following along. I have the front D30 on my JL and am in the process of considering updating the gears and shafts versus replacing it outright with a 44.

Don’t. Not worth it. Buy a quality axle from the start and be done with it.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

That’s what I was thinking. Thanks for the confirmation

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Yep. Don't do it. I wasted thousands going this method. Just upgrade to a prorock from the get go if you're confident you'll end up doing it anyways. I have a prorock now and wished I had been patient and just done it to start with rather than regearing factory axles at first.

silverbullet88

Oh, and for reference sake, another company makes a similar axle housing but the tube diameter is still just 2.75" and the wall thickness is only 0.375"

Dynatrac does offer 3” OD and. .3125 for the JK. So the JL UD being 2.75 and .375 isn’t that far off. Obviously dyna didn’t consider it being weak. Just saying. Everyone knows this other company is dana spicer..if they look at this forum lol.

JTCO

Meme King
Dynatrac does offer 3” OD and. .3125 for the JK. So the JL UD being 2.75 and .375 isn’t that far off. Obviously dyna didn’t consider it being weak. Just saying. Everyone knows this other company is dana spicer..if they look at this forum lol.

Are we talking 60s or a 44? The JL PR 44 is 3.125 OD whereas the JK PR 44 is 3.0 OD. Both offer .5 wall thickness which exceeds the Dana axle. The Dana 60s used to break like a motherfucker, so hopefully they've improved. I'll put my money on Dynatrac though.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/47375-Ultimate-Dana-60-Failure

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL - Sorry but your missing a very important point here. The JL Wrangler axles on a Rubicon are a whole 2.5" WIDER than that of a JK and the wider width means there is MORE LEVERAGE on the tubes. This is the reason why Dynatrac decided to make the tubes on their PR44JL BIGGER in diameter and with a MUCH THICKER WALL. Just sayin. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are we talking 60s or a 44? The JL PR 44 is 3.125 OD whereas the JK PR 44 is 3.0 OD. Both offer .5 wall thickness which exceeds the Dana axle. The Dana 60s used to break like a motherfucker, so hopefully they've improved. I'll put my money on Dynatrac though.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/47375-Ultimate-Dana-60-Failure

LOL!! Wasn't gonna go there myself but yes, I think we've all seen our fair share of UD60 breaks.

That being said, Dynatrac did originally offer their PR44 for the JK with 3" diameter tubes that had a 0.3125" wall. However, this was eventually phased out due to a lack of interest from consumers. If I could guess, Dynatrac would still stand behind this thinner wall being adequate for a JK but of course, the JK had axles that were a whole 2.5" NARROWER than what you find on a JL Rubicon.

JTCO

Meme King
LOL!! Wasn't gonna go there myself but yes, I think we've all seen our fair share of UD60 breaks.

That being said, Dynatrac did originally offer their PR44 for the JK with 3" diameter tubes that had a 0.3125" wall. However, this was eventually phased out due to a lack of interest from consumers. If I could guess, Dynatrac would still stand behind this thinner wall being adequate for a JK but of course, the JK had axles that were a whole 2.5" NARROWER than what you find on a JL Rubicon.

Agreed. Exactly. When I bought my axle from them, the difference in price of wall thickness from 0.3125 vs 0.500 was 100 bucks. That's it. No brainier for me. And I think the weight difference was like 30 pounds or some small ass figure like that. Do it once, do it right.

Deezus

Not necessarily. As I said, our axle has been holding up in spite of us running 37's, we just want to play harder and have confidence in our axle.

For you, I don't think so. What you have should hold up just fine for your needs.

So far as I know, the PR44JL will only be offered with the larger tube and in a 0.50" wall. While it will be heavier, I don't know if it's enough to really matter especially being that it's unsprung weight.
Eddie, is there any word on a JL axle from Dynatrac that allows us to use our JL fears and lockers like they made for the JK?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Deezus

Dynatrac likes to design their standard products to work with factory components. That way, they can work with most other products being made. Needless to say, the PR44JL is made to accommodate the factory steering stabilizer bracket that's bolted on the axle.

With all that said, we've already got plans to upgrade our tie-rod and drag link with ones made by Synergy and then run their steering stabilizer relocation bracket.
I have Synergies steering stabilizer relocation kit with a fox stabizer. It binds up with the stock tie rod and drag link.

Deezus

Only for now. Dynatrac will be offering other axle shaft options in the near future including one that will allow you to reuse your outer shafts.

LOL!! We have a bit more filming to do first. Soon though.
And lockers and gears?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, is there any word on a JL axle from Dynatrac that allows us to use our JL fears and lockers like they made for the JK?

Unfortunately, I don't think so. A vast majority of people who'll upgrade to a ProRock 44 are ones that own a Sport or Sahara. Most of the people with Rubicons typically end up going with something better like an XD60. What I can tell you is that there might be something in the works that's somewhere in between but I couldn't tell you any of the details. That being said, I think you could easily sell a Rubicon front axle and use the money from it to help pay for a ProRock 44.

I have Synergies steering stabilizer relocation kit with a fox stabizer. It binds up with the stock tie rod and drag link.

Yeah, I talked to them and that's what they told me - that I needed one of their tie-rods too. Needless to say, that's what I have on order now.

Rgk401

Unfortunately, I don't think so. A vast majority of people who'll upgrade to a ProRock 44 are ones that own a Sport or Sahara. Most of the people with Rubicons typically end up going with something better like an XD60. What I can tell you is that there might be something in the works that's somewhere in between but I couldn't tell you any of the details. That being said, I think you could easily sell a Rubicon front axle and use the money from it to help pay for a ProRock 44.

Yeah, I talked to them and that's what they told me - that I needed one of their tie-rods too. Needless to say, that's what I have on order now.

I would buy a factory rubicon axle!! I’m planning on upgrading my sport setup so I’m looking at new,but if I could get a used in good condition I’d take it.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

silverbullet88

I have their relocation kit and tie rod but a stock Rubicon draglink.

I’m curious how it binds up?