Sure it's Bigger... but is it actually Better? DISSECTING the JL WRANGLER Front Axle

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Soooo am I to assume I’ll be needing an upgrade to my rubicon axles? Sounds like my hemi swap will have to put on hold.

Why can’t/won’t FCA just have this add as an optional factory upgrade from the start.

And why doesn’t Eddie just work with Direct with Jeep to make this right the first time.

Jeep=boat

$$$$$$

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

You should be running more than 44’s with a hemi anyway.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie- with this axle beefiness and the RCV's are they still saying maxed out at a 37? or did they bump it up to a 40?

Not sure why RCV's would make a difference. Even if they were as awesome as some choose to believe, you're weak link will still be your ring and pinion. For 40" tires, you really want to be running 5.38's but in a Dana 44, that would leave you with a very small pinion. The housing would be able to handling it no problem.

You should be running more than 44’s with a hemi anyway.

This ^^^^

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

kellyc33

If you're going to replace your JL axles to have more strength or run larger tires, like 40's or 42's, why not just install the new Dana 60's that are now available for the JL. I looked at these today while at my local off road store and they are very impressive.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
If you're going to replace your JL axles to have more strength or run larger tires, like 40's or 42's, why not just install the new Dana 60's that are now available for the JL. I looked at these today while at my local off road store and they are very impressive.

Not everyone needs or wants 40’s. 37’s will still break factory axles if used hard enough. 37’s and 60’s is like pulling a boat across a beach. It’s an anchor.

Saddletramp

Bent mine and not sure when or how.

JLUR, 5000 mi, 37’s.

Got under it a week ago to change the oil and noticed the drivers side seals leaking.

Camber on the passenger side was normal, camber on the drivers side was close to 4 degrees.

IMG_2547.jpg

57007055540__E1EDB43B-7D76-49BB-B8A1-263F4C947254.jpg

Roo4JK

Thanks Eddy, very interesting.
Especially the comparison between the JL and JK. Even after your/Dynatrac correction, the axes remain very thin. I think..
(Here in the Netherlands (Europe) is the JL still badly available, because of our government taxes system….)

My Dana 30, stock on my JK X, was already crooked with 33" tires ....
And am very happy with the switch to mine PR44-RCV-ARB-Reids knuckles with 3.125 "/ 0.5" axle tube (2014).

Dynatrac Rocks !! :rock:

Thanks again, also for all the other reviews, info and findings. Nice to follow.

dwilczak

If anything, I don't think it would be a stretch to say that a JL Sport or Sahara housing would be a bit stronger than a JL Rubicon's being that they they use the same tubes and are narrower. And so that there's no confusion, I am specifically talking about the "housing" and NOT the axle shafts or gears.

So would that mean the tubes used are the same across the range? AFAIK only the rear axle M220 is "shared" between all models if one goes for a LSD in Sahara/Sport (narrow) & Rubicon (wide).
Do we know anything about the tubing variance between M186/M200/M210/M220(n|w)? Unless what you're saying is that tubes are identical, the only difference is the pinion ring diameter.

Last edited:

dwilczak

JLUR, 5000 mi, 37’s.

Got under it a week ago to change the oil and noticed the drivers side seals leaking.

Camber on the passenger side was normal, camber on the drivers side was close to 4 degrees.

I know your pain too well. Went out for a long trip across the desert, nothing crazy, and came back with some nicely added camber.
IMG_8742.jpg

And and here's the good part about D44: it let go (bent) relatively evenly from a knuckle through the pumpkin. $200 later had it fixed.
IMHO larger diameter with not-so-much thicker walls in JL would deform the tubes rather than slightly bend them.

JTCO

Meme King

JLUR, 5000 mi, 37’s.

Wow. That sucks. Insurance taking care of it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's some nice info right there. Safe to say that the JL's end forgings are handling the 37s just fine? Looking forward to seeing those updates photos of the tube thickness.

So far so good or at least, on our JL. We have seen a couple of JL's with camber on their front axle but couldn't tell for sure if it was the end forging that bent or the tubes. My best guess was the tubes.

As much as we'd love to run 40's, we have no plans to or at least, not anytime soon. Not a fan of 42's. As far as the Dana 60 goes, it costs a lot more money, has a HUGE diff that robs you of ground clearance, weighs a ton and lacks the steering/turning radius that a 44 has.

Not everyone needs or wants 40’s. 37’s will still break factory axles if used hard enough. 37’s and 60’s is like pulling a boat across a beach. It’s an anchor.

This ^^^^

JLUR, 5000 mi, 37’s.

Well that sucks! This is the 2nd one we've seen on a JL and why we've been wanting a ProRock.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So would that mean the tubes used are the same across the range? AFAIK only the rear axle M220 is "shared" between all models if one goes for a LSD in Sahara/Sport (narrow) & Rubicon (wide).
Do we know anything about the tubing variance between M186/M200/M210/M220(n|w)? Unless what you're saying is that tubes are identical, the only difference is the pinion ring diameter.

Yes. All the tubes on the factory front axle are the same diameter and wall thickness. All the end forgings and knuckles are the same as well. Where they are different are in the differentials, axle shafts and overall width. This has been physically verified.

silverbullet88

Having a larger OD is stronger than simply increasing the wall thickness of the same Diameter tube so at least Jeep went to 2.75. Obviously we know that 2.75 OD w/ .281 wall thickness is larger than the JK, but I wonder how the FAD piece comes into play. Since it is pressed in on both sides? I know there have been a few breaks right at the FAD part of the housing.

mtnbikr73

Having a larger OD is stronger than simply increasing the wall thickness of the same Diameter tube so at least Jeep went to 2.75. Obviously we know that 2.75 OD w/ .281 wall thickness is larger than the JK, but I wonder how the FAD piece comes into play. Since it is pressed in on both sides? I know there have been a few breaks right at the FAD part of the housing.

Yeah, I can tell you first hand that the FAD unit introduces a major weak point in the axle housing. Did not take much at all to break, right at the FAD unit. 6 JKs, 4 with stock axles, handled the same obstacle with ease. The size of the FAD hole is crazy. Half of the tube is opened up on the back side.

IMG_20190120_132203.jpgIMG_20190120_142532 - Copy.jpg

JTCO

Meme King
Yeah, I can tell you first hand that the FAD unit introduces a major weak point in the axle housing. Did not take much at all to break, right at the FAD unit. 6 JKs, 4 with stock axles, handled the same obstacle with ease. The size of the FAD hole is crazy. Half of the tube is opened up on the back side.

Thanks for posting that. Yeah, that FAD opening is massive and really takes away from the overall circumference of that cast piece.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Thank you so much for posting up these pics. This is EXACTLY what I'm hoping to avoid out on the trail!

Lumberjack

JL Broken Front Axle Housing

We are part of a small group that does a Holiday Rally wheeling trip between Christmas and New Years and this year we had a Rubicon JL break its front axle housing on Trail 15 at Windrock. Broke right at the FAD, really poor design. JL only had 3K on it and Jeep has refused to warranty it. They are definitely weaker.