JL JOURNAL : Protect Your JL Front Axle Drain Bolt with a Rancho Glide Plate

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know who the boy genius was that thought it would be a good idea to locate the front axle drain bolt on a Jeep JL Wrangler, directly underneath it but in my opinion, this is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Sure, I get that it would help to make servicing the axle a lot easier but being that this is on a Jeep, a vehicle designed to go off road and play on big rocks, it really makes no sense at all. Certainly, it isn't where they put it on the previous JK Wrangler and it isn't even where they put it on the rear axle of a JL Wrangler - on the side and out of harms way. Of course, it should be of no surprise that after a year of playing hard on trails like the Rubicon, the drain bolt on our JL Wrangler front axle finally got hit enough to damage the threads and cause it to leak. Needless to say, this is something I wanted to protect and did so with a Rancho JL Wrangler Front Axle Glide Plate. While I'm not exactly thrilled about the bright red color it comes in (something I intend to fix with some black paint), the Rancho Front Axle Glide Plate is designed to take on big hits, has a port on the bottom for easy servicing and the best part of it is, it only costs about $150. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see just how super simple it is to install, using basic tools and in just minutes.

BUY a RANCHO Glide Plate
DANA M210 RUBICON FRONT AXLE: https://amzn.to/2T4gl7f
DANA M186 SPORT / SAHARA FRONT AXLE: https://amzn.to/2CC5N8u

Tools You Will Need
• 13mm Socket & Wrench
• 10mm Socket
• Ratchet

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

:cool:

JIMBOX

:D Good info and install-

I had one on my '08 JKUR-
JEEP1-31-11107.jpg

Haven't had time for one on the JL---YET

Thanx

:thumb: JIMBO

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Great video! Super easy install and protects that bolt well it looks like.

So how’s Cindy’s face after that hit to the camera with the ratchet?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:D Good info and install-

I had one on my '08 JKUR-

Haven't had time for one on the JL---YET

Thanx

:thumb: JIMBO

I like the idea of it. Just wish it came in black like the jk version

Yup, black would have been a lot more desirable as is shown above but, nothing a little black paint can't fix. :cool:

This will sell like hot cakes. Crazy weird bad design on this axle. Seems easy enough from the video.

I dunno, maybe Dana knows something we don't. To me, these Rancho Glide Plates are a must have for anyone who plays out on the rocks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That was easy...

And cheap I might add :yup:

Dang that was fast, didn't even have for my coffee and donuts [emoji4][emoji16] Ps, already installed mine, Thanks

LOL - yeah, this was just a quicky video :)

Great video! Super easy install and protects that bolt well it looks like.

So how’s Cindy’s face after that hit to the camera with the ratchet?

LOL - Fortunately, she reacted fast enough and I didn't catch her face with the ratchet :crazyeyes:

STR1KER

01-29-19 Just had F&R done this morning...

Just had our front & rear diff swapped out this morning. Last night I was doin' a bit of research, and had the EXACT same thought...
Stroke of utter stupidity for that bolt to be located there. Thanks a bunch for the head's up on the plate. Will be ordering and installing ASAP. :rock:

dixonk

Just installed one last week. Kicking myself I didn’t see this thread so I could have purchased from the amazon link. I am not sure if you get credit for it or not. I will need to be more proactive when perusing amazon for Jeep stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app