New Dynatrac and New Patagonia Tires and have steering shimmy

Tubbydude

Eddie, just installed my new Dynatrac Endurosport lift and now I have a shimmy in the steering above 45mph. I’m running Milestar Patagonia 37x12.5x17 at 30-32psi on Black Rhino Diamonte rims. This is not death wobble just a shimmy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
New Dynatrac with steering shimmy

Umm, yeah. A shimmy is almost ALWAYS a condition of tires not being properly balanced. Being that you’re running Patagonia’s, I’d say get them re-balanced. Probably needs more weights.

tjeeper

I have been dealing with this issue since installing my lift a couple months ago. The only change I made was the lift itself, I was still running the stock wheels and tires. Bad wheel shimmy above 45 mph when on rough roads. Steering wheel rocks back and forth 3-4 times than stops. Really bad roads would cause the whole Jeep to rock left to right, not just the steering wheel.

My take on it? The springs and shocks are way too stiff. They aren't absorbing the bumps at higher speed, just bouncing the Jeep around. However, I should note that my JLUR is still stock except for the lift. Plastic bumpers, no aftermarket armor. I recently put some some 37" STT Pros on KMC 231s, and the shimmy and rocking have gotten better (but not completely gone away). I'm hoping after I put on the aftermarket bumpers, tire carrier and winch the ride will smooth out.

JeepJL

I ran my Patagonia’s without weights for the first 500 miles. I had the same thing. I then balanced them myself and the problem was solved. They were all over the place with weights. I had to get one exchanged because it was around 18 ounces. The others were 2-5 like my nittos normally were with KMC wheels. I’m sure balancing will fix your issue. Try to find a shop that has 1/2 ounce weights and not just 1/4.
Put the least amount of weight tires up front.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer