New Dynatrac and New Patagonia Tires and have steering shimmy

JeepJL

$150 for a tire? I’d say there’s a chance they don’t balance for shit.

2012 JK8
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

They balanced out great. About the same as my nitto 37s. Under 5 ounces. Two took under 2, 1 right over 3 and one at 4.75. I had one that was way out, but I got a replacement. It’s one of those things you don’t know until you try. I paid for them and wanted to be able to see for myself. Unlike most of the reviews a few months back where they were given to review them.
I’m not at all promoting them or a fanboy but they haven’t let me down yet. They ride smooth, quiet, and I wanted a more true 37. They measure out to 37.25” at 28 pounds

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

$150 for a tire? I’d say there’s a chance they don’t balance for shit.

2012 JK8
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

They wanted to gain market share so they spent quite a bit of “advertising” money on a winning strategy, hand them out to influencers, be it forum members or youtubers, and price them extremely aggressively. However, their prices creeped up (checked discount tire and they were only a little cheaper than the coopers) and they are difficult to get because they ship X amount over here and distribute them all over the country and once it’s bought out you have to wait for another shipment to arrive. Having said that, from what I’ve seen, they appear to be reasonably tough and unanimously very quiet. They also have a very soft compound which makes them seem to grip rock well, of course at the cost of wear. If they were still cheap I was going to consider getting a set when I got my JL just to test them out because “why not,” but at the price close to coopers, I’m not sure I want to risk my money.

JeepJL

They wanted to gain market share so they spent quite a bit of “advertising” money on a winning strategy, hand them out to influencers, be it forum members or youtubers, and price them extremely aggressively. However, their prices creeped up (checked discount tire and they were only a little cheaper than the coopers) and they are difficult to get because they ship X amount over here and distribute them all over the country and once it’s bought out you have to wait for another shipment to arrive. Having said that, from what I’ve seen, they appear to be reasonably tough and unanimously very quiet. They also have a very soft compound which makes them seem to grip rock well, of course at the cost of wear. If they were still cheap I was going to consider getting a set when I got my JL just to test them out because “why not,” but at the price close to coopers, I’m not sure I want to risk my money.

Yep you’re spot on. They were competitive, not so much anymore. If they weren’t half the price of a Cooper/Nitto I would have never tried them. I’m pretty sure this will be my only set. The hard thing will be going back to a smaller tire. It’s crazy how much bigger they are then a “37”.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone with a JL on patagonias want to post up where theirs are made? While the reviews on the interwebs seem very good, I cant really find any unbiased reviews. This is basically the only one, but again, not sure how unbiased they are.

They are a Taiwanese company that have their tires made in China. This is kinda like Toyo being a Japanese company that makes their tires made in the USA.

They ride smooth, quiet, and I wanted a more true 37. They measure out to 37.25” at 28 pounds

37.25" is NOT a "true" 37 inch tire. NO tire that's advertised as a 37" tire has an "actual" measurement of 37". See link below.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/35075-The-Ultimate-TRUE-TIRE-SIZE-Database

Nobody I know in the industry refers to actual measurement when it comes to talking about things like suspension, axles, etc.

They wanted to gain market share so they spent quite a bit of “advertising” money on a winning strategy, hand them out to influencers, be it forum members or youtubers, and price them extremely aggressively. However, their prices creeped up (checked discount tire and they were only a little cheaper than the coopers) and they are difficult to get because they ship X amount over here and distribute them all over the country and once it’s bought out you have to wait for another shipment to arrive.

The guy in charge of pimping Patagonia is the same guy who used to pimp for Falken. I know him personally and while he's a nice guy, I can assure you that he wasn't running Falkens on his personal Jeep back when he was working for them and I seriously doubt he's running not running these tires now.

Having said that, from what I’ve seen, they appear to be reasonably tough and unanimously very quiet. They also have a very soft compound which makes them seem to grip rock well, of course at the cost of wear. If they were still cheap I was going to consider getting a set when I got my JL just to test them out because “why not,” but at the price close to coopers, I’m not sure I want to risk my money.

LOL!! ALL mud terrains are quite when new. Hell, I was surprised as hell at how quite my Mud Grapplers were when new or at least by comparison to when they had some miles on them. As far as "reasonably tough" goes? I've yet to see these things out on the kind of razor sharp rocks that you can find in places like Arizona. Not saying it hasn't happened, I just haven't seen it.

The hard thing will be going back to a smaller tire. It’s crazy how much bigger they are then a “37”.

That's because they're NOT 37" tires. More like they're closer to a tire with 38" listed on the sidewall. Looks aren't everything or at least, not to me anyway. These are way too big for my taste or at least, on factory axles and how I tend to use my Jeeps. Also, a hard size to bum a spare off of on the trail and harder to find in a pinch and in a small town out in the middle of nowhere. Not like I'm speaking from experience or anything.

Bear_JT

Like Eddie said, I haven’t seen these tires on sharp rocks. They promote the hell out of them on slick rock, but I doubt with how soft they are that they will hold up to the sharp stuff. Plus it’s a kinda ugly looking tire.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Like Eddie said, I haven’t seen these tires on sharp rocks. They promote the hell out of them on slick rock, but I doubt with how soft they are that they will hold up to the sharp stuff. Plus it’s a kinda ugly looking tire.

LOL!! They really are one the ugliest tire I have ever seen or at least, to have come out recently. Not that looks are everything but it's probably the biggest reason why I couldn't get myself to test out a set.

As far as toughness goes, I'd like to see how they hold up in a place like Florence Junction. Awesome trails that I hate to wheel if only because they absolutely destroy tires.

Jeep JL

Great looking tire in my opinion, one of the best, since all we are currently talking is opinions. As someone earlier stated, every review out there is great on them, even reviews with more than 10k miles claiming still quite. I wish Eddie would get a set and test them to see for sure. Milestar send him a set for free! Lol Currently DT still sells them for $55 less than kos on the 315/70s and I know Coopers are more than ko2, so that is about 1/4 less and if I get 1/3 less life I would be happy. Our friends lite bright/step child has a lot of video in rocks with them. A lot more rocks than I bet 70 % of all of us will see. Especially me in Michigan. I’m still reasherching.

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
Great looking tire in my opinion, one of the best, since all we are currently talking is opinions. As someone earlier stated, every review out there is great on them, even reviews with more than 10k miles claiming still quite. I wish Eddie would get a set and test them to see for sure. Milestar send him a set for free! Lol Currently DT still sells them for $55 less than kos on the 315/70s and I know Coopers are more than ko2, so that is about 1/4 less and if I get 1/3 less life I would be happy. Our friends lite bright/step child has a lot of video in rocks with them. A lot more rocks than I bet 70 % of all of us will see. Especially me in Michigan. I’m still reasherching.

You should buy a set and see how they do.

Bear_JT

I bet most people raving about the Patagonia’s were also given them for free. Kinda goes hand in hand. I’ve seen people on Instagram who were given them for free to try out, had issues and got a replacement for free and keep singing happy songs about them.
My local DT even steered me away from them when I asked about them saying, “It’s an entry level tire and is super soft for street driving”.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wish Eddie would get a set and test them to see for sure. Milestar send him a set for free!

LOL!! Sorry, unlike all the whores out on the internet, I wouldn't run Chinese made tires even if they did look good and were given to me for free.

JeepJL

I bet most people raving about the Patagonia’s were also given them for free. Kinda goes hand in hand. I’ve seen people on Instagram who were given them for free to try out, had issues and got a replacement for free and keep singing happy songs about them.
My local DT even steered me away from them when I asked about them saying, “It’s an entry level tire and is super soft for street driving”.

I bought them with the intention to prove they were junk and sell them. Probably the last set I’ll own because the price has increased a bit. So far they are wearing great and not a bad tire. Only time will tell how they stand. I know some of the ultra 4 guys are running them. Sure they were given to them too. The 38 is quite a bit lighter then a Nitto 37 so I can’t see them being as tough. They are killer in deep snow. I enjoy trying out different things. I think they’re pretty ugly myself but they are growing on me. I think it’s more about sharing experiences with each other. Would I recommend you go buy this tire? No but it was something I wanted to try out for myself.

WiscoHR

I wouldn’t run Patagonia’s if they were free! But look at the pricing for a 37x12.5x17 on DT. Patagonia’s are $245. Coopers are $264. For $19 a tire I’ll buy American!!!! And don’t forget you can get Mastercraft MXT’s in that size for $255(Made in the USA by Cooper). So for $10 bucks a tire don’t buy the knock off imported crap.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I wouldn’t run Patagonia’s if they were free! But look at the pricing for a 37x12.5x17 on DT. Patagonia’s are $245. Coopers are $264. For $19 a tire I’ll buy American!!!! And don’t forget you can get Mastercraft MXT’s in that size for $255(Made in the USA by Cooper). So for $10 bucks a tire don’t buy the knock off imported crap.

Right! 50k on your rig and then cheap out on tires to save a few bucks. Crazy

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app