Calamity Jane

Steve

My first Jeep having been a '74 CJ5 a am wondering if we will ever see any videos of Calamity Jane conquering trails? I loved that rig and kept her until she rotted away (I got married and my Ex wasn't interested in keeping her healthy and the climate here is rough on vehicles). I used to run all over Southern Cal with her and loved it but the Navy decided I was having to much fun and transferred me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Truth be told, we did get Jane to build up and wheel but somewhere along the line, we got lost in what we were doing and ended up doing a nicer job of breathing new life into her that we were planning. The curse of having nice old iron is that it's hard to want to take out or at least, for us anyway.

JTCO

Meme King
Truth be told, we did get Jane to build up and wheel but somewhere along the line, we got lost in what we were doing and ended up doing a nicer job of breathing new life into her that we were planning. The curse of having nice old iron is that it's hard to want to take out or at least, for us anyway.

Indeed the curse of having a really nice vehicle. IIRC, you wouldn't even let a tire shop lift it and took the tires and wheels in yourself. And I would have done the same.

Steve

I wouldn’t wheel it if it were mine. It’s too nice.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

LOL! I agree that risking damage to her would take some soul searching. I feel the same way about my '18 JLU! There must be some trails out that way that are not as nasty as MOAB or the Rubicon! I've watched a few Wayoflife videos that seemed tame compared to the others. Listen to me, LOL, awfully ballsy with someone elses rig. Just hoping to see her out getting dusty someday (not scratched or dinged).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed the curse of having a really nice vehicle. IIRC, you wouldn't even let a tire shop lift it and took the tires and wheels in yourself. And I would have done the same.

Well, for one, I doubt most kids these days can drive a manual and two, CJ's take a little effort to get in and out of being that they have high door sills. Last thing I'd want is for some kid to step on my paint and jack it up.

LOL! I agree that risking damage to her would take some soul searching. I feel the same way about my '18 JLU! There must be some trails out that way that are not as nasty as MOAB or the Rubicon! I've watched a few Wayoflife videos that seemed tame compared to the others. Listen to me, LOL, awfully ballsy with someone elses rig. Just hoping to see her out getting dusty someday (not scratched or dinged).

LOL - we'll see. It's funny because I really couldn't care less about taking a brand new Jeep out on the rocks but old iron is hard to replace.

CampJL

I felt the same way you do about taking it easy on our 18’ JLU. Then a couple of weekends ago we went out on a Jeep run with some friends near Austin. We went in some trails I never thought we would do and we had a blast. We got some dings and scratches but in the end I feel like it was worth it.
IMG_1586.jpeg
IMG_0781.JPG
I am extremely new to driving off road. But at the end of the trail we got to the summit and man it was worth it.
IMG_0771.JPG
In the end the dings and scratches were worth the experience. That being said if I had a restored 70’s CJ I would have been parked at the bottom of the hill and would have gotten a ride to the top.

jljordan

I'm in the same boat with my CJ. I got lost in the build, and before I knew it, she was my baby. Mine is no where near as nice as Jane, but I still could never bring myself to risking it. I take ours out on forest service roads and on snow trips. It's enough to keep me happy.

IMG_0703.jpgIMG_0706.jpgIMG_0708 (2).jpgIMG_0687.jpg

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Pictures don’t do her justice. She looks so much better in person. She’d be a pavement princess, for me.

NFRs2000NYC

Well, for one, I doubt most kids these days can drive a manual and two, CJ's take a little effort to get in and out of being that they have high door sills. Last thing I'd want is for some kid to step on my paint and jack it up.

LOL - we'll see. It's funny because I really couldn't care less about taking a brand new Jeep out on the rocks but old iron is hard to replace.

What you need is one of those Mahindra Roxors so you can beat the piss out of it and not give a sh!t lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What you need is one of those Mahindra Roxors so you can beat the piss out of it and not give a sh!t lol

Funny you would say as much. The guy in charge of Roxor America marketing lives in my town. They even have a showroom here and I've talked to him about testing one out just for fun.