Evo coilover help

Deezus

So, I'm going coilover and for now no long arm, that will be sometime later. Evo has 4 different packages to choose from and I'm trying to decide which stage to do the minimum until I get a long arm as I don't want to buy arms I won't use later on. I'm looking at the stage 2 as I'm not going over a 3 to 3.5" lift. I'm running a Rancho 2 " sport lift now. 2018 JLUR.
Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Deezus

Post the reply once you get it either way...

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
So, basically stage one is for people who already have adjustable control arms. Stage 2 is the minimum for stock arms. I didn't ask about 3 or 4 but I'm thinking 3 is if you have an aftermarket rear driveshaft and 4 is coilovers with all 8 arms.
So, I'm going with stage 2 or 3. I might just do a stage one and get some other front lowers and rear uppers. With these kits you'll have to use limiting straps and only get around 12" of travel. With a long arm it's closer to 15. Realistically about 14, maybe a little more.
Even though the people at Evo were very helpful, I'm still trying to understand what those 2 silver rings do for the ride....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
what's the added maintenance on coilovers?

They'll need to be rebuilt on a regular basis as components on or within it WILL wear out with use. Unless you have the tools and the know how to do this, you will need to ship them to a shop to have it done. During that time, you'll essentially be without a Jeep to drive.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
They'll need to be rebuilt on a regular basis as components on or within it WILL wear out with use. Unless you have the tools and the know how to do this, you will need to ship them to a shop to have it done. During that time, you'll essentially be without a Jeep to drive.

This^^ I did a rebuild myself because I have most of the tool to be able to do it and had a dirt bike shop charge the coilovers with nitrogen for me. You can see my write up on how to do it on WAYALIFE

King coilover seal and oil service
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=52932

Deezus

This worries me. Are you sure you need and/or want coilovers? If so, then you've got some research to do.
I've had coilovers before, don't be worried. Everything will be OK. I know they are used to adjust timing of second spring and where to initially put them I just wNted to know what that does to the ride overall. I know it's difficult to give a general idea because of all the factors involved, weight, ride height, usage and many more.
Basically, looking for your experience with it.... I definitely will do research all the time.
Thanks.

Deezus

Mmmmm. Good info thanks
If King made some long travel regular shocks I might rethink it... But then you would have them serviced too, probably not as much though. Then there's the price, by the time you add it up your in coilovers range.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know it's difficult to give a general idea because of all the factors involved, weight, ride height, usage and many more.
Basically, looking for your experience with it....

Not really. Ideally, you want a softer coil to be your primary for daily driving and then have a firmer coil to be your secondary for bigger hits. What is hard to give an idea is what spring rate to go with being that ride quality is 100% subjective. You'd have to decide for yourself what it is you want.

There's a shop near me who does it too. How often do they need service like that?

What cozdude said, about every 15k or sooner if you do a lot of hard and fast driving in the desert.