Hutchison rock monsters

Jdofmemi

Not throwing shade on the Hutchinsons because they are really nice wheels, but one big advantage the KMC/ATX beadlocks have over them is actual bead protection. The Hutchinsons can get damaged and actually bread the wheel bead area in hard rock usage whereas the KMC/ATC locking ring takes the punishment. The bolts are recessed in them as well so they're better protected than the Rock Monsters. If you're mostly dirt/mud/two track roads it shouldn't be an issue, but if rock crawling is in your future its something to be aware of. :twocents:

Edit: This happened to a member on Wayalife running the Hitchinsons. One other point on the KMC/ATX wheels is that the valve stems are up an out of the way.

View attachment 8491

View attachment 8492

I was looking for that picture, but could not find the right thread. Must have spent 20 minutes searching.

It seems we we're thinking of the same thing.

Jeeeep

If you NEED beadlocks, the downside of the Hutchinsons is that it does not have the bead ring to strengthen the edge of the rim.
A hard hit can break the edge of the rim, and there have been cases of that, but not many. I doubt many would wheel hard enough for it to be a problem.

The other DOT approved beadlocks are BAD
http://www.badwheelsinc.com

I have no experience, but it seems they have addressed the problem I mentioned of the weak outer rim with a rock ring to strengthen it.

unless they've changed a lot on the design of the B.A.D wheels, I think I would avoid them.

They weigh in about 50 pounds a wheel with the outer ring and their inner ring lock system requires you to mount the tire, then break the back bead so you can reach in and mount some inner locking half-ring clamp to the front of the wheel.

I tried hard to locate and buy some about 4 years ago but was glad I didn't after talking to a fellow Jeeper on the trail that had them. His experience getting them mounted quickly discouraged me.