Rebooting

Mud Bug

My apologies, I am not very technical (aka knowledgeable) when it comes to Jeep terminology. Bear with me lol

I have had the Jeep for 1 month, and recently my dashboard reboots in the morning. The pattern I have noticed is that it only happens when the outside temp is below say 23 degrees Fahrenheit. It is somewhere between 20 and 25 degrees, but I will call it 23. I do not have an engine block heater, I do have the cold weather group. I try to remote start when the temp is really cold, but it happens whether I remote start or push button. The other Jeep functions do not seem affected by it at all. The Sirius keeps playing, the lights stay on, no rough engine running. As I am driving, the screen behind the steering wheel will shut off and reboot itself over and over while the hands on the RPM and speedometer seem to be stuck in the OFF position until the engine temp bar hits just below the halfway mark. Roughly 3/4 of the way up between that half mark and the line immediately below it. When the engine warms to that temp, the console reboots itself one more time, the RPM and speedometer hands swing up and back, and everything is normal for the rest of the day. The first few times the process fixed itself within 2-4 miles of travel. This last time I went about 13 miles before it set itself, but it was much colder.. like 14 degrees that day.

Has this happened to anyone else and/or is it something to be "concerned' about.. meaning should I contact my dealer to have it checked out?

A bad sensor did that to my wife's car. Airbag, I think it was. Something is geeking out the system, I suspect. Surprised you don't have a check-engine light.

Wranglerman

You don’t by chance have a programmer attached to your system like a Procal or Tazer, some with the 8.4 Uconnect system have reported looping ( rebooting ) with the 8.4 and using a programmer, also check to ensure all fuses are fully seated, I stopped counting when I got to 20 that were not fully seated

Mud Bug

Thanks all :) I do not have a tazer or other programmer. The dealership is coming to pick it up from my house on Thursday, take it to have a look at it, and nano-coat it for me while they have it. Supposed to get it back on Friday so we will see.

dixonk

Thanks all :) I do not have a tazer or other programmer. The dealership is coming to pick it up from my house on Thursday, take it to have a look at it, and nano-coat it for me while they have it. Supposed to get it back on Friday so we will see.

Your dealer picks the car up at your house? My dealer sucks! Will have to call them and tell them to pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Mud Bug

Well they also picked up the Yellow Jeep just to take it for nano-coating as well. They just do that as a service... maybe because they are an hour away from my house? I don't know. They bring me a loaner Jeep (but never a Wrangler.. last time I had a Grand Cherokee, the sales lady said it is her demo-car). Their guy drives to my house in the morning, he trades Jeeps with me, and then brings mine back later that evening and we trade vehicles again.

Jetboy

Well they also picked up the Yellow Jeep just to take it for nano-coating as well. They just do that as a service... maybe because they are an hour away from my house? I don't know. They bring me a loaner Jeep (but never a Wrangler.. last time I had a Grand Cherokee, the sales lady said it is her demo-car). Their guy drives to my house in the morning, he trades Jeeps with me, and then brings mine back later that evening and we trade vehicles again.

Nice dealer! Glad some are going the extra mile. Been sense I had a caddy that I even got a loner car, and never had one delivered. Good of them.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Mud Bug

Update:

A nice older gentleman came by yesterday and drove away in my beautiful JL. He left behind this little thing

ivy bye 2.jpg

I doubt I will actually drive it anywhere because after years of wranglers and bigger tires, this just looks alien to me.

I called about the JL. They think it needs a new instrument cluster. So they have to order that part, wait for it, and install it. I get tiny tires for a few more days. It has not moved an inch since it was dropped off, probably won't move all weekend. And it started to snow again today! Hello February :)
ivy bye 4.jpg

TnTsJL

Display re-booting

I had the same display rebooting problem on my 2-day old Rubicon. I took several videos of the malfunction to my dealer and the service tech found a Star Online Publication, release date 2/26/19, discussing the problem. The recommended final cure is replacement of the IPC, (Dash Cluster). The Dash Cluster has been ordered and they will schedule the repair as soon as the cluster is received

Mud Bug

I had the same display rebooting problem on my 2-day old Rubicon. I took several videos of the malfunction to my dealer and the service tech found a Star Online Publication, release date 2/26/19, discussing the problem. The recommended final cure is replacement of the IPC, (Dash Cluster). The Dash Cluster has been ordered and they will schedule the repair as soon as the cluster is received

Yes, if you read my other thread about this... it has been 53 days for me waiting for this cluster. You cannot drive your Jeep until the cluster comes in because they have to input the mileage on your Jeep when it is ordered and that mileage cannot change until the part comes in and is installed. So I am at the point of needing to Lemon Law my jeep because it has been at the dealership service department for 53 (54 tomorrow) days, but I am waiting to hear what Jeep's resolution team has to say to me tomorrow.

Mud Bug

https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.php?3252-Still-no-Jeep-41-Days-and-counting

The other thread being here ^^ (If I linked it up right)

countjoseph70

Yes, if you read my other thread about this... it has been 53 days for me waiting for this cluster. You cannot drive your Jeep until the cluster comes in because they have to input the mileage on your Jeep when it is ordered and that mileage cannot change until the part comes in and is installed. So I am at the point of needing to Lemon Law my jeep because it has been at the dealership service department for 53 (54 tomorrow) days, but I am waiting to hear what Jeep's resolution team has to say to me tomorrow.
I had a similar issue with my JLUR. Except mine was the 8.4 radio. It was was cutting off intermittently(play music for 3 seconds then nothing for 2 seconds). Dealer ordered a new one, installed it, picked it up and started home. Halfway there, the entire screen stops working. When it finally came back up, it showed that a phone was already paired to my new radio. Said Michelle's iPhone, I don't know a Michelle and hate iPhones. The dealer said that since the Jeep is so new, there aren't replacement parts yet. And they took another radio that was returned, erased everything and put it in mine. Except that they forgot to erase everything. I waited for 4 months for a replacement and finally the issue has been resolved.

Sent from my SM-T580 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Jeeeep

My apologies, I am not very technical (aka knowledgeable) when it comes to Jeep terminology. Bear with me lol

I have had the Jeep for 1 month, and recently my dashboard reboots in the morning. The pattern I have noticed is that it only happens when the outside temp is below say 23 degrees Fahrenheit. It is somewhere between 20 and 25 degrees, but I will call it 23. I do not have an engine block heater, I do have the cold weather group. I try to remote start when the temp is really cold, but it happens whether I remote start or push button. The other Jeep functions do not seem affected by it at all. The Sirius keeps playing, the lights stay on, no rough engine running. As I am driving, the screen behind the steering wheel will shut off and reboot itself over and over while the hands on the RPM and speedometer seem to be stuck in the OFF position until the engine temp bar hits just below the halfway mark. Roughly 3/4 of the way up between that half mark and the line immediately below it. When the engine warms to that temp, the console reboots itself one more time, the RPM and speedometer hands swing up and back, and everything is normal for the rest of the day. The first few times the process fixed itself within 2-4 miles of travel. This last time I went about 13 miles before it set itself, but it was much colder.. like 14 degrees that day.

Has this happened to anyone else and/or is it something to be "concerned' about.. meaning should I contact my dealer to have it checked out?

mine has done that several times and not in such cold weather.

I just heard about TSB #18-041-18 Rev B and it appears to address that issue.