Re Gear Question

DrowningTurtle

This maybe a stupid question, but with the new FAD, and re gearing, will the front diff still be spinning in 2wd? Doing 5.13s Friday. Running 37s and the 6 speed. Wasn’t sure if the FAD would affect break in or not of the new gears.

JTCO

Meme King
This maybe a stupid question, but with the new FAD, and re gearing, will the front diff still be spinning in 2wd? Doing 5.13s Friday. Running 37s and the 6 speed. Wasn’t sure if the FAD would affect break in or not of the new gears.

Your ring and pinion will not be spinning. Just your carrier pinions (axle gears) inside the carrier will.

It doesn't really matter though, even without the FAD, although the ring and pinion spin, they are not being 'driven' and don't really break-in unless you're in 4x4.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What WJCO said. The front gears would need to be driven as in, be in 4WD to fully break in.

JTCO

Meme King
Sounds like 500 miles on some gravel road somewhere in 4H will be needed. Unless it’s not a huge issue.

I regeared our JK last year and have about 7000 miles on it and I guarantee the front still isn't broken in. It is what it is. Don't overthink it too much. I changed the fluid around 500-1000 miles just for peace of mind and to get any of the gear coating or wear metal out.

13_gecko_rubi

I broke in one of my front axles by destroying rear driveshaft first time out testing and drove it home 2.5 hours on freeway in FWD LOL.

Sent via....

DrowningTurtle

Lol. Fastest front gearset break-in ever.

So the re gear is done. It drives amazing! I used a Tazer JL to recalibrate for the 5.13s but after 4th gear I get an ess error. Now I already usually have it off, but with the error displayed, my reverse lights do not work. Shutting the Jeep off and re starting it fixes the issue, but as soon as it throws the error again, I would need to shut it off and re start it again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So the re gear is done. It drives amazing! I used a Tazer JL to recalibrate for the 5.13s but after 4th gear I get an ess error. Now I already usually have it off, but with the error displayed, my reverse lights do not work. Shutting the Jeep off and re starting it fixes the issue, but as soon as it throws the error again, I would need to shut it off and re start it again.

That's odd. I hope you find a fix for this.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug

Have you tried using the Tazer JL to perform a full reboot?

DrowningTurtle

That's odd. I hope you find a fix for this.

The issue was fixed. The manual JL’s need to perform a pcm reset. You must pull all of the cables off of the negative post and ensure that BOTH batteries are disconnected. Press the brake peddle or check the dome lights to ensure the Jeep has no power at all. Leave the Jeep disconnected for 15min. Re connect the Jeep. Find a very long stretch of road. Before reaching 40mph, make sure you have the Jeep in 6th gear. Make sure once at 40mph, you keep the Jeep in 6th gear at 1/4th throttle. DO NOT LET OFF OF THE THROTTLE. Hold the throttle position for 20 seconds. This should solve it.

JTCO

Meme King
The issue was fixed. The manual JL’s need to perform a pcm reset. You must pull all of the cables off of the negative post and ensure that BOTH batteries are disconnected. Press the brake peddle or check the dome lights to ensure the Jeep has no power at all. Leave the Jeep disconnected for 15min. Re connect the Jeep. Find a very long stretch of road. Before reaching 40mph, make sure you have the Jeep in 6th gear. Make sure once at 40mph, you keep the Jeep in 6th gear at 1/4th throttle. DO NOT LET OFF OF THE THROTTLE. Hold the throttle position for 20 seconds. This should solve it.

Lol. That's quite the fix. Hope it stays fixed.