Help prioritizing upgrades

oyasin

Hello,
I have been a watching the videos and reading the blog silently for about two years now. It actually had a big effect and I went ahead and bought a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon last year when they first came out. I plan to go to the Easter Jeep Safari. I have a tight budget for upgrading my jeep and wanted advice about what to spend money on first. I for sure won't have money to do all these by April! but what do you think is a priority? Also will I be able to do top of the world with this car that without significant damage? its rated at 6 I think!

Plan:
Winch
Rock rails
Diff glide plates
2 inch lift (Dynatrac or factory)
wheel spacer

Attachments

• IMG-0194.jpg
    IMG-0194.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 318

darrenroos

If you are climbing steep hills at the Safari perhaps add an oil catch can to your list (if you are running the 3.6L).

Last edited:

ddays v2

I've seen those advertised for the JK's but I've never come across anyone running one of those catch cans. Looks like another Grade 8 bolt upgrade kind of deal to me.

JTCO

Meme King
If you are climbing steep hills at the Safari perhaps add an oil catch can to your list (if you are running the 3.6L).

Catch can? Where did you hear that from? Lmao

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

But why?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I've seen those advertised for the JK's but I've never come across anyone running one of those catch cans. Looks like another Grade 8 bolt upgrade kind of deal to me.

A catch can for steep hills, lol. OP, please don't listen to this nonsense. Save your money. Catch Cans seem to be the new bling mod to empty your pockets. They have a purpose for certain applications but in regards to Jeeps offroad, I've never heard of such a thing being beneficial.

darrenroos

To each his own but I no longer smoke on steep inclines from oil in the intake using one. They were advertised on the JK because they seem to be a common problem with the 3.6L. $150 to protect a $50K vehicle isn’t nonsense in my book. If the common consensus is that is a waste of money and all y’all haven’t had an issue, perhaps the masses make more sense. If you do start burning oil on steep hills though maybe give it a second thought.

JTCO

Meme King
To each his own but I no longer smoke on steep inclines from oil in the intake using one. They were advertised on the JK because they seem to be a common problem with the 3.6L. $150 to protect a $50K vehicle isn’t nonsense in my book. If the common consensus is that is a waste of money and all y’all haven’t had an issue, perhaps the masses make more sense. If you do start burning oil on steep hills though maybe give it a second thought.

Didn't realize the smoking on hills was that common. I've never seen one do it myself. But even if it did, how much oil are you going to burn to cause engine damage? The can only holds maybe a quart maximum, right? I still think it's nonsense for most Jeeps that don't spend hardly any time on a hill steep enough to make an engine smoke enough to cause engine damage.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:cheesy: WTF?? Okay - clearly, I'm nowhere near the badass wheeler some seem to be because in the 11+ years of owning 4 different JK's, I can't say that I've EVER seen oil burning occur on a "steep hill". But hey, I am just a mall crawler, what would I know. :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't realize the smoking on hills was that common. I've never seen one do it myself. But even if it did, how much oil are you going to burn to cause engine damage? The can only holds maybe a quart maximum, right? I still think it's nonsense for most Jeeps that don't spend hardly any time on a hill steep enough to make an engine smoke enough to cause engine damage.

Honestly, I'm still scratching my head about this "catch can" thing. I mean, even if your engine burns a little oil, I fail to see how that would cause any damage. More like, the rings are already damaged and that's what's causing blow by. The only time I've ever seen oil being a problem is if you've put your Jeep on its side or worse, on its lid as that could cause your engine to hydrolock. But again, I'm just a mall crawler and would have no idea what I'm talking about.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
I have been a watching the videos and reading the blog silently for about two years now. It actually had a big effect and I went ahead and bought a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon last year when they first came out. I plan to go to the Easter Jeep Safari. I have a tight budget for upgrading my jeep and wanted advice about what to spend money on first. I for sure won't have money to do all these by April! but what do you think is a priority? Also will I be able to do top of the world with this car that without significant damage? its rated at 6 I think!

Plan:
Winch
Rock rails
Diff glide plates
2 inch lift (Dynatrac or factory)
wheel spacer

Honestly, you've got a Rubicon and can pretty much go as is and have a great time. Being that you've seen our videos, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. That being said, if you've got money to burn, a front diff glide plate would be high on my list. I wouldn't bother with wheel spacers unless you're running a lift and bigger tires on factory wheels and need the back space reduction. A winch is always nice to have. You already have rock rails but something with a bit more stand off would be nice to have.

JTCO

Meme King
:cheesy: WTF?? Okay - clearly, I'm nowhere near the badass wheeler some seem to be because in the 11+ years of owning 4 different JK's, I can't say that I've EVER seen oil burning occur on a "steep hill". But hey, I am just a mall crawler, what would I know. :crazyeyes:

Looks like you just missed the 'official' smoke angle here. I guess you lucked out. :crazyeyes:

20180331204611-b7686f92-me.jpg

darrenroos

Hang out with TFL and they can get you out of the mall and on the trail...

darrenroos

I’ll probably get my balls busted for this one too but another cheap upgrade to prevent issues later is relocating your steering stabilizer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hang out with TFL and they can get you out of the mall and on the trail...

You know, I see them enough, I'll have to ask them if they'd be willing to take me out :cool:

I’ll probably get my balls busted for this one too but another cheap upgrade to prevent issues later is relocating your steering stabilizer.

Actually, that's a legit mod and one I hope to do soon. :yup: