Help prioritizing upgrades

JTCO

Meme King
Not disagreeing but educating myself. Is there a reason why this same connection on my 3.8L JK is as dry as a bone?

The pcv on the 3.8 vents right into the intake manifold. The oil is still there but you don't see it. On the 3.6, I believe it vents near the air box. Still gets into the intake ports no matter how you look at it. There just aren't as many convincing videos on the 3.8l to sell it to people.

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
Just for kicks, I just went out to our 3.8 and pulled the pcv outlet hose at the intake manifold. There is light oil residue inside as there should be. On the 3.8, that other hose that is on the air box does not connect right to the pcv valve like it does on the 3.6.

IMG_20190122_221231_768.jpg

IMG_20190122_221322_467.jpg

JTCO

Meme King
Hilarious!! Their videos are so cringy! Anyways, I don’t know crap about catch cans or oil burning but I’d take this forums advice any day over some chick on YouTube promoting a catch can.

Lol. Just for the record, I'm not saying there aren't Jeeps out there that haven't had a smoking issue on hills and I'm not saying catch cans don't have their place in the automotive industry (way more commonly used with forced air induction).

But I will say a slight oil film in your induction system isn't all that uncommon and an oil catch can definitely isn't what I would consider a modification that is necessary or required for someone to get out and use their Jeep. They've been around for years but it seems like in the last month or so, the hype is because they're trendy and look cool.

NFRs2000NYC

There are benefits to a catchcan, both in sports cars and off-roaders. Sports cars have blow by from hard cornering and off-roaders have it from steep angles. The one they used in the video is a cheap and easy install and will prevent that little bit of blow by from entering the engine, keeping your combustion chambers a little bit cleaner. Over the life of an engine, it will help with keeping the buildup to a minimum. Do you need one? Absolutely not. Do they have some benefit, sure. On my track toy (s2000) I run krankvents, which are basically one way air valves which run the engine in a vacuum, preventing this problem entirely, but that has its own possible cons. For the amount of money these catch cans cost, it’s an ok mod, and I’d say more useful than something like a cold air intake lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be the first to say that I'm a total noob when it comes to Jeeps. I've only been doing what I do for a little over 25 years and know there are people who've been doing it much longer than that. In these few years, I have never heard of anything so stupid as the need for a catch can. I get that people who get shit for free feel the need to pimp it on YouTube and that people who bought into it feel the need to defend their purchase lest they look like a dumbass but come on people, if this were really something that's needed on a Jeep, it would have caught on a long time ago much like the Tornado throttle body spacer did. I mean, everyone has one of those! But hey, that's just me - what would I know.

NFRs2000NYC

I'd be the first to say that I'm a total noob when it comes to Jeeps. I've only been doing what I do for a little over 25 years and know there are people who've been doing it much longer than that. In these few years, I have never heard of anything so stupid as the need for a catch can. I get that people who get shit for free feel the need to pimp it on YouTube and that people who bought into it feel the need to defend their purchase lest they look like a dumbass but come on people, if this were really something that's needed on a Jeep, it would have caught on a long time ago much like the Tornado throttle body spacer did. I mean, everyone has one of those! But hey, that's just me - what would I know.

That's the thing with many of those youtube channels, they don't say they got the product for free, or at the very least, that they are testing the product for the manufacturer, and pass it off as "hey look at what we just got."

That's the thing with many of those youtube channels, they don't say they got the product for free, or at the very least, that they are testing the product for the manufacturer, and pass it off as "hey look at what we just got."

Its a free country but its the worst when they act like they’re an authority on the subject or in some way developed the product. Tornado throttle spacers add 3 mpg cmon now...

oyasin

So.. anything else that u guys think is worth adding to the list of modifications that should make it on the jeep...(Other than a stinger, cuz why not? even though I am rockin that stock tier in the back that won't catch on stuff)?
And on a scale from 0 to 10...how would u rate the utility of removing the back bumper then putting it back on when I return from EJS (I have the metal stock bumper)?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
So.. anything else that u guys think is worth adding to the list of modifications that should make it on the jeep...(Other than a stinger, cuz why not? even though I am rockin that stock tier in the back that won't catch on stuff)?
And on a scale from 0 to 10...how would u rate the utility of removing the back bumper then putting it back on when I return from EJS (I have the metal stock bumper)?

I know a lot of derailment went on here, but see posts 2 & 15.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JeepJL

Didn't realize the smoking on hills was that common. I've never seen one do it myself. But even if it did, how much oil are you going to burn to cause engine damage? The can only holds maybe a quart maximum, right? I still think it's nonsense for most Jeeps that don't spend hardly any time on a hill steep enough to make an engine smoke enough to cause engine damage.

It’s not super common but I’ve seen it happen at least 5 or 6 times mainly on escalator, one being myself. I do have pictures. If your rear passenger tire slips off the wall down into the deep hole below while your front tires are at the top it tilts down the passenger side far enough to put the oil into the intake and create quite the smoke storm. On a normal trail you would basically flop at this point but the wall keeps you in tight. Now would I go buy a catch can? Highly doubt it, but yes the 3.6 can create quite the smoke storm from wheeling if you get it leaning down on the passenger side enough while the nose is high. I’ve also see it happen on double whammy when someone tried to launch up the left side and almost went over. It’s one of those things that takes a sequence of events to line up to cause it to happen. I’ve only seen it when the jeep is very low on the passenger side and very nose high. Like I stated in the beginning it’s not really common. I’ve never seen it happen on the rubicon, high dive, white knuckle, or anything that’s just steep. I did see it happen near the mall on a flat paved road though. But that was after the jeep was winched back on its wheels after a roll... not sure a catch can would work in that senario [emoji848] [emoji4]

JTCO

Meme King
It’s not super common but I’ve seen it happen at least 5 or 6 times mainly on escalator, one being myself. I do have pictures. If your rear passenger tire slips off the wall down into the deep hole below while your front tires are at the top it tilts down the passenger side far enough to put the oil into the intake and create quite the smoke storm. On a normal trail you would basically flop at this point but the wall keeps you in tight. Now would I go buy a catch can? Highly doubt it, but yes the 3.6 can create quite the smoke storm from wheeling if you get it leaning down on the passenger side enough while the nose is high. I’ve also see it happen on double whammy when someone tried to launch up the left side and almost went over. It’s one of those things that takes a sequence of events to line up to cause it to happen. I’ve only seen it when the jeep is very low on the passenger side and very nose high. Like I stated in the beginning it’s not really common. I’ve never seen it happen on the rubicon, high dive, white knuckle, or anything that’s just steep. I did see it happen near the mall on a flat paved road though. But that was after the jeep was winched back on its wheels after a roll... not sure a catch can would work in that senario [emoji848] [emoji4]

Not denying it can happen and not denying the catch can has a purpose. But it seems like lately, the catch can comes up as the latest and greatest problem solver and someone is just waiting to capitalize on it. Not sure why after years of Jeeping that it comes up now. About 10 years ago, I saw a blonde-haired, blue-eyed chick in a tittie bar in Mexico. It was quite unique. She was the 'catch can' for the night and made quite a bit of money. Happens to the best of us.

winning-5c4a74.jpg