Help prioritizing upgrades

JTCO

Meme King
Hang out with TFL and they can get you out of the mall and on the trail...

Didn't realize TFL ever took any of the Jeeps they've tested on anything that extreme. They live out my way and we really don't have anything that steep from what I've see in Eddie and Cindy's adventures.

I’ll probably get my balls busted for this one too but another cheap upgrade to prevent issues later is relocating your steering stabilizer.

Not really. That's a good upgrade, IMO.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
To each his own but I no longer smoke on steep inclines from oil in the intake using one. They were advertised on the JK because they seem to be a common problem with the 3.6L. $150 to protect a $50K vehicle isn’t nonsense in my book. If the common consensus is that is a waste of money and all y’all haven’t had an issue, perhaps the masses make more sense. If you do start burning oil on steep hills though maybe give it a second thought.

Where’s the pictures of your jeep smoking from the steep climbs before the catch can? I’m sure you’ll say you didn’t take any, but every time I’ve seen a vehicle smoking, someone takes pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

darrenroos

Note to self, don’t argue with anyone with a crown next to their name...haha. I know that you guys/gals have a zillion times more experience than I do, respect your trail time, and am happy to hear that you haven’t experienced the same problem I have. Note to OP, put my comment in your back pocket if you ever have the same bad luck I do with oil burning but in the meantime probably take the advice from these folks and save your money if it isn’t an issue for you.

oyasin

Honestly, you've got a Rubicon and can pretty much go as is and have a great time. Being that you've seen our videos, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. That being said, if you've got money to burn, a front diff glide plate would be high on my list. I wouldn't bother with wheel spacers unless you're running a lift and bigger tires on factory wheels and need the back space reduction. A winch is always nice to have. You already have rock rails but something with a bit more stand off would be nice to have.

Thanx for brining it back! I actually really appreciate all the advice. Just signed up for the trails today...I guess it's time to save up some money for the modifications! glide plate, rock rails first!

Also, this is the first time I ever post on any forum...things get heated pretty quick :p but i guess its all good as long as we get answers:thumb:

JTCO

Meme King
Thanx for brining it back! I actually really appreciate all the advice. Just signed up for the trails today...I guess it's time to save up some money for the modifications! glide plate, rock rails first!

Also, this is the first time I ever post on any forum...things get heated pretty quick :p but i guess its all good as long as we get answers:thumb:

Just enjoy the Jeep and don't buy into too much of the modification hype. A jeep wrangler is probably the most customizable vehicle ever made and it can quickly empty your pockets.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

I wouldn’t say this discussion is heated.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Looks like you just missed the 'official' smoke angle here. I guess you lucked out. :crazyeyes:

View attachment 8387

You know, I may be just a simple Jeeper who's primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures.

But that is pretty effing funny! :cheesy:

(points for anybody who recognizes the integrated movie quote)

Only reason they want that catch can is because that new blonde chick’s husband installed it on their red JL... now everybody thinks its a must have.

darrenroos

Only reason they want that catch can is because that new blonde chick’s husband installed it on their red JL... now everybody thinks its a must have.

Actually, try this: pull the hose off of your intake. Insert finger into hose and wipe around fitting. Pull it out and if there is oil on it. It may not be a lot but I for one don’t want any oil in my intake system...and if $150 can prevent or even reduce that, I’m in. More snarky comments in 3...2...1...IMG_2803.JPG

Last edited:

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Actually, try this: pull the hose off of your intake. Insert finger into hose and wipe around fitting. Pull it out and if there is oil on it insert finger where the sun doesn’t shine. Haha....j/k. It may not be a lot but I for one don’t want any oil in my intake system...and if $150 can prevent or even reduce that, I’m in. More snarky comments in 3...2...1...View attachment 8413

If there is oil in the intake tube what good does a catch can do? It’s out of the motor already. Who cares. My jk filter is usually wet from oil after trips to the desert running 4K plus rpm for hours at a time. I’ll replace the motor sometime. What’s the point of a catch can?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, try this: pull the hose off of your intake. Insert finger into hose and wipe around fitting. Pull it out and if there is oil on it insert finger where the sun doesn’t shine. Haha....j/k. It may not be a lot but I for one don’t want any oil in my intake system...and if $150 can prevent or even reduce that, I’m in. More snarky comments in 3...2...1...

Ummm, not trying to be snarky here but - that's what it's supposed to do. Ventilate your crank case and send un-burned oil back into your engine to get burned. :idontknow:

darrenroos

Ummm, not trying to be snarky here but - that's what it's supposed to do. Ventilate your crank case and send un-burned oil back into your engine to get burned. :idontknow:

Not disagreeing but educating myself. Is there a reason why this same connection on my 3.8L JK is as dry as a bone?