Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metal vs. Synthetic

Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post
    So along this line of questioning, can you replace a Steele cable with synthetic line in the future or are you stuck one way or the other?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Depends, is your drum trashed? Gonna need a new fair lead

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Well no itís just a general question. The new Warn VR series come with the same fair lead for both metal and synthetic versions. I was under the impression the drum for the synthetic version was slightly bigger than the steel due to the space saving of synthetic also maybe the way itís connected and spooled on the drum. Any way I havenít seen or read where this can or cannot be done. The difference in price is around $250-$300 between the 2 depending on model. If itís possible then why not just upgrade later if price is a problem. From what Iíve read here and other places if youíre going to buy Chinese at least buy Warn Chinese. For myself the number of times Iíve needed a winch is ď0Ē however maybe now that will change since Iím buying one. I chose the VR12 for $600 worth it. I could make the same argument for cell phones...before never...after always.

No reason the drum would be different from one type of line to the other. Just make sure you have a Hawse type fair lead & you should be fine. There are several companies that offer replacement synthetic lines out there along with Warn.
    Just make sure the specs match up with your winch requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post
    .... The difference in price is around $250-$300 between the 2 depending on model. ....
    A 100 foot Warn Spydura rope is about 300 bucks. That's where most of the cost difference is. Steel cable is about 60 bucks.

Thanks I will plan to replace it with synthetic if use:need determine I should

Quote Originally Posted by ddays v2 View Post
    No reason the drum would be different from one type of line to the other. Just make sure you have a Hawse type fair lead & you should be fine. There are several companies that offer replacement synthetic lines out there along with Warn.
    Just make sure the specs match up with your winch requirements.
    To be totally honest, I've run synthetic with rollers in the past and without any issue. The main thing you want to make sure of is that the rollers have never been used with steel rope. If they have, you can always get replacement rollers made specifically for synth rope.

Caught the Bug
    Vr is steel drum , Zeon is Aluminum...

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    To be totally honest, I've run synthetic with rollers in the past and without any issue. The main thing you want to make sure of is that the rollers have never been used with steel rope. If they have, you can always get replacement rollers made specifically for synth rope.
    Thanks for clarifying. I always assumed the hawse was used so the synthetic line didn't pinch in the roillers. What you said makes sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12