Metal vs. Synthetic

Can’t decide which one I want on my new warn. I’ve only jad steel and never had a close call yet. I plan on having this thing for 5-10 years. What do y’all think?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, without question, if you can afford synth, that's what you should go with. It's a hell of a lot lighter so it won't weigh down your front end, it floats, it won't store energy and become deadly if it breaks, it won't rust and it won't splinter just to name a few reasons.

Jeeeep

another vote for synthetic.

steel will rust, kink, fray and eventually draw blood so make sure you know when you had your last tetanus shot.

Having seen steel cables snap over the years is one of the scariest things I've seen while wheeling.

Shadowfire

Well no it’s just a general question. The new Warn VR series come with the same fair lead for both metal and synthetic versions. I was under the impression the drum for the synthetic version was slightly bigger than the steel due to the space saving of synthetic also maybe the way it’s connected and spooled on the drum. Any way I haven’t seen or read where this can or cannot be done. The difference in price is around $250-$300 between the 2 depending on model. If it’s possible then why not just upgrade later if price is a problem. From what I’ve read here and other places if you’re going to buy Chinese at least buy Warn Chinese. For myself the number of times I’ve needed a winch is “0” however maybe now that will change since I’m buying one. I chose the VR12 for $600 worth it. I could make the same argument for cell phones...before never...after always.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

ddays v2

No reason the drum would be different from one type of line to the other. Just make sure you have a Hawse type fair lead & you should be fine. There are several companies that offer replacement synthetic lines out there along with Warn.
Just make sure the specs match up with your winch requirements.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No reason the drum would be different from one type of line to the other. Just make sure you have a Hawse type fair lead & you should be fine. There are several companies that offer replacement synthetic lines out there along with Warn.
Just make sure the specs match up with your winch requirements.

To be totally honest, I've run synthetic with rollers in the past and without any issue. The main thing you want to make sure of is that the rollers have never been used with steel rope. If they have, you can always get replacement rollers made specifically for synth rope.

ddays v2

To be totally honest, I've run synthetic with rollers in the past and without any issue. The main thing you want to make sure of is that the rollers have never been used with steel rope. If they have, you can always get replacement rollers made specifically for synth rope.

Thanks for clarifying. I always assumed the hawse was used so the synthetic line didn't pinch in the roillers. What you said makes sense.