LIVE COVERAGE : OFFICIAL Jeep JL Wrangler Reveal - LA Auto Show 2017

Mr.Hellcat2You

What happens if the diesel comes out.... and it’s amazing.... you guys won’t regret not waiting? 30mpg... 400ft lbs? Maybe bigger axles to handle the torque? I’m getting a boner just thinkin about it.. lol

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
Now why would you go and throw that curve ball lol? How about this slider: the electric would probably have more torque than the diesel. Interesting to see how much weight the batteries add to the overall weight of the Jeep. You can't really modify an electric system though so it will have to have some stupid torque numbers/power or 70 mgpe to make hardcore Jeepers even bat and eye at it.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
I think this JL has everyones heads in knots... [emoji51]

Like a California girlfriend. She'll cheat on you, mistreat you, certainly not something you need and certainly not practical, chance of earthquakes and political distress, but you still DESPERATELY WANT her.

TrailHunter

Like a California girlfriend. She'll cheat on you, mistreat you, certainly not something you need and certainly not practical, chance of earthquakes and political distress, but you still DESPERATELY WANT her.

She sounds like a real bitch. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

TrailHunter

Now why would you go and throw that curve ball lol? How about this slider: the electric would probably have more torque than the diesel. Interesting to see how much weight the batteries add to the overall weight of the Jeep. You can't really modify an electric system though so it will have to have some stupid torque numbers/power or 70 mgpe to make hardcore Jeepers even bat and eye at it.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Those spare batteries are going to be heavy on the tire carrier... lol

NFRs2000NYC

I work in the automotive industry and truthfully to me, as appealing as new engines are (gas or diesel), there are always bugs to work out, so I'm always a little leary. As long as a manufacturer stands behind their product, I'm all for it.That turbo 4 is really appealing to me. I already have a trail Jeep that I plan on keeping, so a JL would be a comfort street performance rig for me.

The good news is FCA has been putting the 3.0CRD through the test ringer with the ram and the grand cherokee. My dad has the GC, 67000 flawless miles so far. From what diesel experts tell me, if you rip out all the emissions crap (and lets be honest, most offroad guys are going to do it and not have to deal with DEF) and go with a GDE tune (their tune greatly reduces carbon deposits, like 85% less), the reliability of an already reliable motor goes through the roof, and 300-500k is easily attainable with proper maintenance.

EGR covered in soot after 13000 miles
Dirty_DS_EGR_Diffuser_600x330.jpg

EGR after the tune after 15000 miles
GDE_DS_EGR_Diffuser_600x330.jpg

Last edited:

ddays v2

I already have a trail Jeep that I plan on keeping, so a JL would be a comfort street performance rig for me.

This is the position I'm in. I have my JKU set up exactly where I want it now. I really wouldn't change much of anything on it. The JL has really grown on me over the past couple months but not to the point that I would trade Gruff in on one.
Hell, its paid off and all of my mods are paid for so it'd be kinda silly to lose all of that to start over. The other thing is the JL is so nice I'd kinda hate to start ripping shit off of it. However, it would be really nice to have as my daily driver with
a few mods here and there. Maybe in a couple years when my Durango finally kicks the bucket (227,000 miles young) the diesel JLU might find a home in my garage. :cool:

ddays v2

From what diesel experts tell me, if you rip out all the emissions crap (and lets be honest, most offroad guys are going to do it and not have to deal with DEF) and go with a GDE tune ]

Not trying to be a jackass, bit isn't this the equivalent of coating your frame with used motor oil? I mean, I'm no enviroweiner but still, why TRY to pollute?

JAGS

Ok, so another thing I spotted and have a question on. In every single show Jeep and I think the ones out in the wild, none seem to have cage covers like the JK does.

Was this noted or mentioned by the reps?

I also read that the entire stock cage can be "easily" unbolted if the owner want to replace with an aftermarket. With the stock cage redesigned, I wonder how it held up in rollover tests?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so another thing I spotted and have a question on. In every single show Jeep and I think the ones out in the wild, none seem to have cage covers like the JK does.

Was this noted or mentioned by the reps?

I also read that the entire stock cage can be "easily" unbolted if the owner want to replace with an aftermarket. With the stock cage redesigned, I wonder how it held up in rollover tests?

The factory roll bar no longer has factory covers that fade and look nasty from sun fade. It does have cladding that gives it a nice finished look when sitting inside your Jeep. I didn't know it could be unbolted but if true, this is no different than what the TJ, YJ and CJ before could do and that would be a HUGE bonus.

JAGS

The factory roll bar no longer has factory covers that fade and look nasty from sun fade. It does have cladding that gives it a nice finished look when sitting inside your Jeep. I didn't know it could be unbolted but if true, this is no different than what the TJ, YJ and CJ before could do and that would be a HUGE bonus.

I like the painted cage look so it wasn't necessarily a complaint. The finished interior side does look really nice.

I read about the cage in the same article as about the fenders. I just more wonder about the "need" for a full replacement vs what RH and EVO have done with cage mods. But options are always appreciated. [emoji106]

JAGS

So, who will be the first to come out with the license plate relocation kit?

Close your eyes eddie, but, the EVO facia would look pretty sweet on the JL. [emoji6] Come to the dark side. [emoji23][emoji23]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I like the painted cage look so it wasn't necessarily a complaint. The finished interior side does look really nice.

I read about the cage in the same article as about the fenders. I just more wonder about the "need" for a full replacement vs what RH and EVO have done with cage mods. But options are always appreciated. [emoji106]

Rock Hard had been making sport cages for the TJ long before the JK. In fact, I ran one in my old TJ. There's no difference and I have no doubt that they, EVO and others will come out with systems that improve on the factory roll bars.

So, who will be the first to come out with the license plate relocation kit?

Close your eyes eddie, but, the EVO facia would look pretty sweet on the JL. [emoji6] Come to the dark side. [emoji23][emoji23]

LOL!! You never know, I might. However, I'd rather find a way to relocate the plate onto the spare. Just gotta figure out how to do it with the back up cam.

JAGS

Rock Hard had been making sport cages for the TJ long before the JK. In fact, I ran one in my old TJ. There's no difference and I have no doubt that they, EVO and others will come out with systems that improve on the factory roll bars.

LOL!! You never know, I might. However, I'd rather find a way to relocate the plate onto the spare. Just gotta figure out how to do it with the back up cam.

As you know I wasn't into Jeeps of any sort prior to five years ago. But I'm still digging a lot of the retro/homage components of the JL.

I'm also digging the back up camera. That's the main reason Amy doesn't like driving the JK around town with all the mods. She feels she can't see when in parking lots.

I bet you/someone could easily modify a bracket to hold a plate and the cam. [emoji106]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As you know I wasn't into Jeeps of any sort prior to five years ago. But I'm still digging a lot of the retro/homage components of the JL.

I'm also digging the back up camera. That's the main reason Amy doesn't like driving the JK around town with all the mods. She feels she can't see when in parking lots.

I bet you/someone could easily modify a bracket to hold a plate and the cam. [emoji106]

Oh, I have no doubts. The guys at Jeep did a great job making this new JL Wrangler easy to modify.

Scoop315

So much to like on the JL!

SOB!!! looks like I'll be in the market afterall

but... diesel in 2019, 30mpg sounds enticing with the number of miles I rack up
I think I’m going to finally pull the trigger on a new Jeep with the JL Rubicon.

I was so close to plunking down the down payment on a Recon a few months back, and life got in the way. Which may be a good thing.

jdpatt12

I have. 2013 jku sport I bought new and I made it the way I liked. Rubicon rims and tires. Rancho shocks led lights front and rear and a after market gps head unit.
I’ve been reading everything about the JL. I looking to buy a Rubicon this time. It looks like I may be waiting for the Mojito. I like the bright colors

Last edited: