Should I JL?

Good morning everyone,

I'm currently driving a 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman. Best vehicle I've ever owned. Love it!

I've just recently run across the concept of overlanding, and I'm totally enamored with the idea of it. YouTube and I have had a standing date every night to watch everyone's adventures with their vehicles, traveling the countryside and enjoying all it has to offer. One thing that I've noticed is that if you really want to get into the thick of it, a wide, long wheelbase heavy beast like mine doesn't seem as well suited to it as the folks in the Jeep community look to have it. Having been watching series from 4xOverland, Lifestyle Overland, Trail Recon, and most recently Eddie and JL Journal, I can't help but think I need a JL!

I'll be scouring the forum to see what there is to learn, as well as following everyone's adventures in Jeep-dom. It may be hard to let go of my posh Hemi heavy, but I'm open minded and ready to give the Jeep a go. While the Rubicon and Moab are amazing looking vehicles, a friend who drives a JK suggested I buy a Sport and make changes to that instead of an expensive model. Jury is still out on that.

~Chris

Last edited:

ddays v2

Of course you need a JL, but then again, I think you already know the answer to your question ;)

As far as the Sport/Sahara/Rubicon debate, everyone has their own opinion. With my JK I went the Sport route & then ripped pretty much everything off of it below the body and added what I wanted.
With our upcoming JL, I went the Rubicon route. Honestly, the features of the stock Rubicon are really hard to beat. No doubt I had a blast building up the JK, but with the JL I'm glad I went the route I did.
We plan on using it as you described. I think the stock drive train will handle what we plan on throwing at it. Seeing what Eddie has done with his stock axles, I should be just fine.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I ain't gonna lie, if overlanding is all you're wanting to do, you already have what you need. In fact, I've often thought that something like a RAM would be a perfect vehicle for it especially to do the kind of desert exploring I like to do. However, if you'd like to get into more challenging terrain, it'd be hard to beat a JL for that.

I ain't gonna lie, if overlanding is all you're wanting to do, you already have what you need. In fact, I've often thought that something like a RAM would be a perfect vehicle for it especially to do the kind of desert exploring I like to do.

It is hard to dispute the storage space :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It is hard to dispute the storage space :)

Not just storage space but greater power and MPG. Before the JL came along, I would argue that the RAM had a much nicer interior and one that's a lot roomier too. Again, depending on what you'll actually be using your rig to do, you may not need anything other than what you have. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to steer you away from a JL, just keeping it real.

Not just storage space but greater power and MPG. Before the JL came along, I would argue that the RAM had a much nicer interior and one that's a lot roomier too. Again, depending on what you'll actually be using your rig to do, you may not need anything other than what you have. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to steer you away from a JL, just keeping it real.

I appreciate receiving the info from the folks who have done it. Thanks for your honesty.

The lack of environment here on the frozen tundra that you guys have out west may make it unnecessary as well. I sure do love looking at them, though!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I appreciate receiving the info from the folks who have done it. Thanks for your honesty.

The lack of environment here on the frozen tundra that you guys have out west may make it unnecessary as well. I sure do love looking at them, though!

They're a ton of fun to drive too :yup:

I ain't gonna lie, if overlanding is all you're wanting to do, you already have what you need. In fact, I've often thought that something like a RAM would be a perfect vehicle for it especially to do the kind of desert exploring I like to do. However, if you'd like to get into more challenging terrain, it'd be hard to beat a JL for that.

^^^^He's right. I'd keep what you've got especially if you're wanting to go the expedition trailer route. Can't tow a whole lot with a JL especially when you add in all the overlanding "essentials."

WWRuby_Svi

After seeing the Gladiator at CES this year and with the limited off-roading I do, I feel like that would be an awesome vehicle paired with the diesel... maybe worth the wait while you decide what you really want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I appreciate your experience and insight. For now, a JL might not be the right rig for me. Not to say it won't a little later. :)

I'll not clog the airways with Ram-related mumbo jumbo, but I have a few ideas that will provide me with some of the utility that you Jeep-lovers enjoy sans turn radius and critical angles :thumb:

But I'm here every day reading!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I appreciate your experience and insight. For now, a JL might not be the right rig for me. Not to say it won't a little later. :)

I'll not clog the airways with Ram-related mumbo jumbo, but I have a few ideas that will provide me with some of the utility that you Jeep-lovers enjoy sans turn radius and critical angles :thumb:

But I'm here every day reading!

It's still a great way to learn about what you might want to do. :yup: