Howdy from Milwaukee

Good morning everyone,

I'm currently driving a 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman. Best vehicle I've ever owned. Love it!

I've just recently run across the concept of overlanding, and I'm totally enamored with the idea of it. YouTube and I have had a standing date every night to watch everyone's adventures with their vehicles, traveling the countryside and enjoying all it has to offer. One thing that I've noticed is that if you really want to get into the thick of it, a wide, long wheelbase heavy beast like mine doesn't seem as well suited to it as the folks in the Jeep community look to have it. Having been watching series from 4xOverland, Lifestyle Overland, Trail Recon, and most recently Eddie and JL Journal, I can't help but think I need a JL!

I'll be scouring the forum to see what there is to learn, as well as following everyone's adventures in Jeep-dom. It may be hard to let go of my posh Hemi heavy, but I'm open minded and ready to give the Jeep a go. ;) While the Rubicon and Moab are amazing looking vehicles, a friend who drives a JK suggested I buy a Sport and make changes to that instead of an expensive model. Jury is still out on that.

And as a side note, I *really* appreciated Eddie's video on the underside tour of the JL. I had some questions about the systems that no other resource seemed to have an answer for. Thanks for taking the time to introduce us non-users to your hardware!

~Chris

P.S. - I'm duplicating some of this post in another area since some folks may ignore the "wave" section and dive into the good stuff :)

Last edited:

Mud Bug

For me, I went with a Rubicon because mine is my daily driver and I know I will never go bigger than 37's (and maybe only stick to 35's)... I am not that adventurous. So it is worth the higher cost of the vehicle for me to have the Rubicon features and gearing to support them and not worry about needing to change it later because I live in flatland Delaware (mostly driving through the woods off-road and trying to avoid giant mud pits). I really only climb the mountains if we travel to them. If you live in the mountains you may still need to re-gear, but I am no expert. That being said, if you KNOW you will need to re-gear due to intended tire size, or terrain... I would agree with buying a sport and going up from there. I think whatever you decide, you will be winning because you just got yourself a Wrangler :)

*Disclaimer -- some folks may have the hook up, or not need/want every feature the Rubicon has. You can probably buy a Sport and re-gear it, add the options you want, lift it, put on new wheels and tires and still come in under the sticker price of the stock Rubicon.