Re gearing question

silverbullet88

Has anyone who re geared ( with a manual transmission) not used a programmer to set new gear size? I know with the JK we could
get away with it.

I’m really wanting to hold out until aev’s pro cal is released.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You may be waiting for a long time.

Being that you have a manual, you should be able to get by without recalibrating your speedo but of course, your speedo will be off.

silverbullet88

Well no issues with the Jeeps computer besides auto stop start no longer working. I thought this might be an issue as a few others with manuals told me about it. There is a recent function I will try and let everyone know if it works.

13_gecko_rubi

Why are you holding out for the AEV procal? I don't even think they are working on one at moment so you are going to be waiting quite awhile. I'd just get a tazer if it were me versus waiting for something that may never come.

Sent via....

offcamber

I second the Tazer. They just keep adding more cool stuff to it. The beta firmware that is out right now added Lockers in 4hi or 2wd. And not having read all the features completely got completely surprised when I went to open the hood a few nights ago. They added an alarm when you open the hood if the doors are locked. Suddenly I had the horn blaring in my face and had no idea why!

NFRs2000NYC

Why are you holding out for the AEV procal? I don't even think they are working on one at moment so you are going to be waiting quite awhile. I'd just get a tazer if it were me versus waiting for something that may never come.

Sent via....

I asked them a while back about it, and they said while they are going to bring one to market, they are concentrating on other products right now, so I don't see one coming out anytime soon. Also, for the money, IMHO, the tazer is hard to beat, especially with new features coming out all the time.

silverbullet88

I asked them a while back about it, and they said while they are going to bring one to market, they are concentrating on other products right now, so I don't see one coming out anytime soon. Also, for the money, IMHO, the tazer is hard to beat, especially with new features coming out all the time.

I was told a month for one version and longer for a more advanced version. We’ll see

offcamber

I was told a month for one version and longer for a more advanced version. We’ll see

Just curious why so set on the ProCal? I remember I bought a ProCal when I got my 2012 JK. I lifted the Jeep a couple weeks after I got it in Sept. of 2011. I ordered a ProCal to adjust the tire size. The one they sent me didn't work with the 3.6 so I had to send it back and wait a month til the new version came out. I got it and used it to adjust the tires. A few years later, I had my gears done and when I tried to use the ProCal to change the gear ratio in the computer, it wouldnt work. I contacted AEV and they told me "sorry, you need the updated version to work with the 5 speed auto. For $100, we'll let you trade yours in for the updated version. I decided instead to just get the TrailDash 2. When the traildash came in, I unmarried the Procal from my JK and installed the ProCal. I was going to sell the ProCal and listed it. A week later I had a buyer for it. He went to test it and it refused to work. We called AEV and they told us it was because it was still married to my Jeep. We tried to unmarry it again, It honked just like it was successful, but nope, it still thought it was married to his Jeep. AEV said, oh yeah that happens sometimes. For $100 we'll trade it for a new one. Since I was selling it for $100 I told them no thanks. I had a similar customer service issue on my overpriced AEV bumper too, but it's waaay too long a story. They make some cool products but just horrible service IMO.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I agree with the others. Get the Tazer. I have a pro cal for my 2012 JK. Can’t say I’d buy another for the 2017. It’s super basic and doesn’t do nearly what the tazer does. Spend the exact dough and get the tazer.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

silverbullet88

Just curious why so set on the ProCal? I remember I bought a ProCal when I got my 2012 JK. I lifted the Jeep a couple weeks after I got it in Sept. of 2011. I ordered a ProCal to adjust the tire size. The one they sent me didn't work with the 3.6 so I had to send it back and wait a month til the new version came out. I got it and used it to adjust the tires. A few years later, I had my gears done and when I tried to use the ProCal to change the gear ratio in the computer, it wouldnt work. I contacted AEV and they told me "sorry, you need the updated version to work with the 5 speed auto. For $100, we'll let you trade yours in for the updated version. I decided instead to just get the TrailDash 2. When the traildash came in, I unmarried the Procal from my JK and installed the ProCal. I was going to sell the ProCal and listed it. A week later I had a buyer for it. He went to test it and it refused to work. We called AEV and they told us it was because it was still married to my Jeep. We tried to unmarry it again, It honked just like it was successful, but nope, it still thought it was married to his Jeep. AEV said, oh yeah that happens sometimes. For $100 we'll trade it for a new one. Since I was selling it for $100 I told them no thanks. I had a similar customer service issue on my overpriced AEV bumper too, but it's waaay too long a story. They make some cool products but just horrible service IMO.

Probably for simplicity and I always read about superchips flash cal and the 4 speed auto having issues in some way. Probably was never really an issue though.

I think I will go with the tazer or superchips but I need to call and ask them about the auto stop/ start issue because when that error is on it also cuts out my reverse camera and reverse lights..just noticed yesterday. So I just want to know if either of theirs addresses it because some others told me neither have worked so far. Hopefully there has been an update.

Side note..I asked how or if those other ever fixed their issue..apparently after changing to 37’s the issue went away. Seems like some sort of gear/ tire ratio getting too out of wack from stock.